Post-Game Talk: Woof. Coyotes - 3, Penguins - 2

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I hate to say it, because he wasn't BAD, but the Penguins needed Fleury to be better. Greiss made a couple of HUGE saves. The Pens didn't get any of those. They needed one.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Dumb penalty by Neal at the end, but the officiating in that game was AWFUL. Clutch and grab fest.

CaptainMckenna*

Stiegy and errey with the Malkin is hurt excuse subtlety thrown out there at the end lol gotta love it

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not an X's and O's guy, but it seemed like we were just getting worked systematically. Even when we had 87 and co. out there and they were playing with energy, maintaining any sort of sustained O-zone pressure was just impossible tonight.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Leafs lost but unfortunately Washington took LA into OT... which means mathematically the Pens aren't in the playoffs yet.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Very average game again. Played well in the first, got a bunch of turnovers but couldn't generate enough chances. More speed in the neutral zone required. Looked like we tried to get more physical rather than fast in the 3rd which is the opposite of what we're meant to do. They used to call it "investment" because we did it early then scored late, not the other way around.

- Maatta - still looking tired.
- Sid
- Refs - usually it evens out over a game, but we got boned today, 5 in a row to the Coyotes and a bunch of missed, obvious ones for us.

+ Gibbons - doing his best to create out there
+ Pyatt - was effective today

And the usual suspects were as they usually are.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maybe, just maybe, Scudampik shouldn't be a thing.

The refs are incompetent, Neal is a moron, Bylsma is too stupid to live, discipline and real coaching is needed.

Secondary scoring happened.

The Big Dawg*

LOL someone wanna tell me how the hell is this team with the idiot behind the bench gonna win even 1 series this year????

Can we even generate solid scoring chances consistently on 5 on 5?

Last edited by a moderator:

azntam

Aug 11, 2008
Was hoping this bad stretch would get Bylsma fired, but looks like the injury to Malkin gives him another excuse.

What's our record against playoff teams since the break? 2-6-2?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not an X's and O's guy, but it seemed like we were just getting worked systematically. Even when we had 87 and co. out there and they were playing with energy, maintaining any sort of sustained O-zone pressure was just impossible tonight.

Sid's line generated a lot early in the game but didn't convert. They got less noticeable as the game went along.

Our most consistent line was Pyatt - Goc - Gibbons. They put a lot of pressure on the defense...the combo of Goc's smarts, Gibbons' speed, and Pyatt's boardwork/net-front play worked well. 2nd line blew.

The defense just struggled on reverses/breakouts all night. Not some of them. All of them.

EDIT: Wait, not all. Despres was good.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Phoenix was really smart.

They pressured the Penguins D men (both of them) in a way teams rarely do. Strong forecheck. Great coaching from them.

Michael8771*

Bingo.
Only positive.

Pens couldn't get in on the forecheck at all from the half way point on.

Bylsma can't even coach a team to stay onside anymore.
I thought Gibbons had a good game also. He's definitely been a positive.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
No accountability on this team.

Neal takes dumb penalties.. he keeps playing.

Fleury is 3-8 in his last 11 starts.. he keeps playing.

Craig Adams is awful, but he keeps playing. Gotta get that iron man record

Brooks Orpik can't skate backwards, but keeps playing.

Guys like Megna, Despres, Bortruzzo.. are tossed around like rag dogs despite playing great. Even Zatkoff.. as average as hes been, is 8-2 in his last 10 starts. Why not give that guy a run for a few and see what he can do. The Fleury fan boy brigade is probably already got their "Fleury's tired" excuse ready to go.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate to say it, because he wasn't BAD, but the Penguins needed Fleury to be better. Greiss made a couple of HUGE saves. The Pens didn't get any of those. They needed one.

Yeah, Fleury needs to be able to clear out the crease on his own, because 444 are absolutely useless. It's outrageous how bad they are and yet still play.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is why I was leery about trading Letang. Our puck possession has absolutely plummeted without him in the lineup. He drives our attack.

Martin being out hurts a bunch too.

All that said, a stupid selfish penalty by Jokinen is what lost us this game.

Michael8771*

Phoenix was really smart.

They pressured the Penguins D men (both of them) in a way teams rarely do. Strong forecheck. Great coaching from them.
Of course it's great coaching. Tippett is miles better than Disco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad