Post-Game Talk: Woof. Coyotes - 3, Penguins - 2

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Off the top of my head, the only guy who comes to mind is Toews. He seems like the kind of captain who will call a guy out and give them the drill sergeant routine.

Nobody knows what Sid's like behind closed doors or what he says on the ice/bench to his teammates. To me, he seems like the kind of captain that busts his ass every time he touches the ice, and leads by example. He's too much of a consummate professional in the public eye to really be the guy to get in someone's face and tell them to step it up. That doesn't mean he's a bad captain, though.

If we want guys like Neal to stop being an idiot, and we want Sid and Geno to stop taking frustration penalties, we need a real coach. Not a guy who plays hangman during practice in the playoffs, or holds mustache boy after an embarrassing loss.

Except for when he has mental breakdowns and needs to be calmed down by someone else while he's pouting in the penalty box, right?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
No not at all DB is the coach hes not a player. You need a group of players to be leaders on the team, Shero must think that is something that is lacking with this team.

Na man. The organization has coddled the stars here for too long. They can get away with whatever they want. It's about creating an atmosphere of discipline.

Sid ain't the coach or GM.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Crosby already has enough weight on his shoulders.

I don't expect him to do the coaches job, too.

EDIT: Beaten to it. Essentially.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Na man. The organization has coddled the stars here for too long. They can get away with whatever they want. It's about creating an atmosphere of discipline.

Sid ain't the coach or GM.

Im listening to Errey on the Fan right now a former captain in this league saying its up to the players to correct discipline, hes saying somebody in that room needs to talk to players like Neal and straighten them out.

BTW Malkin deserves more blame then Sid because hes suppose to be one of the leaders and hes one of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Im listening to Errey on the Fan right now a former captain in this league saying its up to the players to correct discipline, hes saying somebody in that room needs to talk to players like Neal and straighten them out.

BTW Malkin deserves more blame then Sid because hes suppose to be one of the leaders and hes one of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline.

So what, exactly, is Bylsma's job then?

Seems like every issue with this club is everyone else except for Bylsma's responsibility.

What's next? Sid decides to bench Neal because Neal didn't listen to him when he told him to cut out the dumb stuff?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
BTW in that James Neal article why do you think Paul Stewart went to the teams Captain to straighten out players who had discipline problems?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Here's what I've learned listening to the Pittsburgh media:

1) It's up to the players to instill/install discipline in the team

2) It's up to the players to put themselves in the best position to score

3) It's up to the players to make adjustments when the other team is preventing them from getting in the best position to score

Honestly, what is left for a coach to do?

No wonder Dan plays hangman and runs mustache boy, every thing hockey-related is apparently up to the players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's a really simplistic way of looking at things. You don't think player discipline and making players accountable don't have a huge part in contributing to that?

notice he doesn't say what "coaching the team" includes. Since, ya know, everything that falls under that umbrella is apparently "up to the players."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So I heard that Jacques Martin had a bottle of Jack only meeting after having to watch the Pens give up their thousandth odd man break of the year.

When informed of Orpik leading a players only meeting to address what was wrong he reacted by giggling.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, that's BS.

Talking to a guy only does so much.

A coach's job is to instill discipline and deal with players who get out of line, play outside of the system, or when their play is hurting the team.

Almost exactly a year ago Julien benched Lucic and when asked about it he said "because I'm the coach and I can".

When is the last time DB benched anyone who wasn't a rookie, or was as important to this team as Lucic is to Boston?

When players start having players only meetings, that means the coach isn't doing his job.

I've been harping on the lack of accountability on this team for years. It becomes like a virus and spreads and festers itself throughout your team. DB wants to be this player friendly coach and only brings the hammer down on his rookies and journeyman scrap heap guys.

It doesn't work like that. You won't find a single great coach in league history that wasn't a staunch disciplinarian.

This is the sloppy, do what you feel culture DB has created by playing favorites and never creating a culture of accountability.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If it's not the coach's job to discipline the team, why is Simon Despres ever in the press box? Should Sid just take his donuts away?

Reality is, disciplining the team IS the coach's job, but Bylsma is just a bully. He only picks on people he knows he can beat.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's a really simplistic way of looking at things. You don't think player discipline and making players accountable don't have a huge part in contributing to that?

Im sure DB talks about discipline to the players but when it keeps on happening its up to somebody in that room to sit down with Neal and tell him hes gotta stop.

I really think last night's game will be the best thing that has happened to this team, discipline has been talked about before but it feels like its a much bigger deal right now, lots of people are talking about it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Exactly.

You can thank you all know who for your bag skate today, gentleman. We'll keep having them until you all rectify the problem.
Symmetry.jpg

Commence...!

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ya, that's BS.

Talking to a guy only does so much.

A coach's job is to instill discipline and deal with players who get out of line, play outside of the system, or when their play is hurting the team.

Almost exactly a year ago Julien benched Lucic and when asked about it he said "because I'm the coach and I can".

When is the last time DB benched anyone who wasn't a rookie, or was as important to this team as Lucic is to Boston?

When players start having players only meetings, that means the coach isn't doing his job.

I've been harping on the lack of accountability on this team for years. It becomes like a virus and spreads and festers itself throughout your team. DB wants to be this player friendly coach and only brings the hammer down on his rookies and journeyman scrap heap guys.

It doesn't work like that. You won't find a single great coach in league history that wasn't a staunch disciplinarian.

This is the sloppy, do what you feel culture DB has created by playing favorites and never creating a culture of accountability.

So you saying Errey who was a captain in this league and a Stanley cup winner has no idea what hes talking about?

How would you know? have you ever played in the NHL?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I also think it's worth repeating something I wrote at last year's trade deadline:

when Bylsma promised Pascal Dupuis a spot on Sidney Crosby's line throughout the year, come hell or high water, he crossed a line that took him from coach to "friend."

I've never played organized sports at a level higher than high school, so I can't speak from THAT angle, but I've spoken to professional athletes and coaches at ALL levels, and I've never gotten the impression that that's how a team should be run.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So you saying Errey who was a captain in this league and a Stanley cup winner has no idea what hes talking about?

Do you honestly think Errey is going to call out DB on the air? Of course not. It's alot easier to blame things on the players rather than the organization. Ownership on down to the coach, the get along gang has allowed this ******** to continue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

So you and Bob are telling me every time this team plays undisciplined hockey, they need to have a players only meeting? Players only meetings are temporary band-aids. Nothing more.

How long do you think getting scolded by Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi is going to keep players disciplined? A week, maybe two?

What are they going to do when the team inevitably plays sloppy, undisciplined hockey like they have for years under DB? Call another meeting?

Once again, when players only meetings are called, it means the coach is failing to do his job. The coach is the one who instills discipline. You **** up, you lose ice time or you sit. A player can't hurt a team when he is sitting. That's a coach's job.

The next time Neal or another player takes a selfish penalty, are the players going to beat him with soap bars? Maybe they will give him an atomic wedgie! Please.

Listening to guys talk doesn't last long. Errey of all people should know that.

Having a coach who creates a culture of accountability, that's what instills long lasting discipline into a team. Anyone who suggests otherwise, be it you, Errey, etc is full of BS.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So you and Bob are telling me every time this team plays undisciplined hockey, they need to have a players only meeting? Players only meetings are temporary band-aids. Nothing more.

How long do you think getting scolded by Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi is going to keep players disciplined? A week, maybe two?

What are they going to do when the team inevitably plays sloppy, undisciplined hockey like they have for years under DB? Call another meeting?

Once again, when players only meetings are called, it means the coach is failing to do his job. The coach is the one who instills discipline. You **** up, you lose ice time or you sit. A player can't hurt a team when he is sitting. That's a coach's job.

The next time Neal or another player takes a selfish penalty, are the players going to beat him with soap bars? Maybe they will give him an atomic wedgie! Please.

Listening to guys talk doesn't last long. Errey of all people should know that.

Having a coach who creates a culture of accountability, that's what instills long lasting discipline into a team. Anyone who suggests otherwise, be it you, Errey, etc is full of BS.

No, you don't have to have a players meeting, the entire team doesn't have a problem with taking stupid penalties, the main problems are Geno and Neal, somebody in that locker room needs to go up to those players and let them know they need to get there **** together.

Look at the Paul Stewart Article

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...ster-Child-for-Whats-Wrong-With8230/196/58889

When I was an active referee, I would tell the team leaders and the coach to get control of such players or I would have to do it for them -- and they wouldn't like the result. If I told Ray Bourque or Dave Poulin to get someone on their team in line, I never had another problem with that guy. I would hope Sidney Crosby could be told the same thing by an official, but I have not seen that sort of leadership from him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dejan Kovacevic @Dejan_Kovacevic

Thursday column will challenge #Pens leadership. Not those guys who piped up last night, but those who can effect real change. ONLINE AT 11

DUNNNN dunnnn

dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad