Post-Game Talk: Woof. Coyotes - 3, Penguins - 2

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
:laugh:

Stopped reading right here. I have found exclusive text from the Orpik speech:

"Guys... we're better than this! I've played like stir-fried turd burgers all year -- I grant you that. This ****ing hernia thing again, man. I know that I'm on the ice, drifting around the paint on almost every bad goal we've given up the last 6 months.... but you guys have GOT to try harder, man! It's all about intensity. Have you seen the intensity with which I stare at the refs when I'm not playing? Stare at my opponent?

Common guys, TAKE some responsibility. Look at me, I am taking full responsibility for the fact that I have hung my goalie out to dry about 97 times this season -- that's what winning attitude is all about. Responsibility! "

you didn't mention smashing guys after the whistle/after they score

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Couple of thoughts on Dejan's piece

1) Just a week and a half ago I thought it was, "LOL KUNITZ IS INJURED, EVERYTHING'S FINE", now there's serious problems with the team?

2) This is written like a nice introduction to an article. Feels like he stops short of saying anything of substance. Like... there's almost some criticism of Shero and Bylsma in there, but then he stops and moves on to something else. And then the article just ends. Oh well.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

1) Just a week and a half ago I thought it was, "LOL KUNITZ IS INJURED, EVERYTHING'S FINE", now there's serious problems with the team?

2) This is written like a nice introduction to an article. Feels like he stops short of saying anything of substance. Like... there's almost some criticism of Shero and Bylsma in there, but then he stops and moves on to something else. And then the article just ends. Oh well.

Yeah that's a pretty good way to put it. Could have taken it so much further, but it pretty much sounded like "Everyone's to blame" rather than really pointing out the two most obvious culprits.

The only thing I liked is that this is the first time the great Shero's work is finally being questioned.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be honest hearing Errey talking about this and reading the article on Stewart is a big reason for my opinion.

I was never in a hockey locker room, i don't know how things work in there, Errey would he was a captain.

You throw in the fact that Shero always seems to go after those veteran leaders it makes me think they have a problem with leadership in the locker room.

As has been mentioned a million times, the captain can and should talk to the players about it, but he doesn't have any ammo to hold them accountable. He can't bench a player, take them off the PP, etc. Bylsma has let the players play the way they do. He has not once benched a veteran for undisciplined play (penalty, stupid turnovers, not following the system, etc). Then he randomly benches Jokinen for one and mentions that penalty as a reason they lost and the players are suddenly supposed to buy in to some new philosophy?

The coach sets the tone for practices, atmosphere, etc. The players have to play, obviously, but natural human instincts (even if super human) of laziness and selfishness will kick in if a coach allows those time of actions to go without addressing them. Make no mistake, this undisciplined issue, from penalties to sloppy play, is primarily a coaching issue.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Agree on point two. Almost like he's softening up his audience, or at the very least taking a soft sell approach to see what kind of response he gets. And the response was kind of surprising. I didn't go past the first set of comments displayed, but most of those agreed with him. Funny that he mentions Sill, though. Guess he doesn't know he's injured.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
As has been mentioned a million times, the captain can and should talk to the players about it, but he doesn't have any ammo to hold them accountable. He can't bench a player, take them off the PP, etc. Bylsma has let the players play the way they do. He has not once benched a veteran for undisciplined play (penalty, stupid turnovers, not following the system, etc). Then he randomly benches Jokinen for one and mentions that penalty as a reason they lost and the players are suddenly supposed to buy in to some new philosophy?

The coach sets the tone for practices, atmosphere, etc. The players have to play, obviously, but natural human instincts (even if super human) of laziness and selfishness will kick in if a coach allows those time of actions to go without addressing them. Make no mistake, this undisciplined issue, from penalties to sloppy play, is primarily a coaching issue.

When i talk about discipline the only thing im talking about is stupid penalties, im not blaming the leadership group when other players play bad hockey.

I guess DB could bench Geno and Neal but your playing with fire when you start benching star players, i'd be afraid to see how Geno responds if he gets benched, he seems like such a baby sometimes, if you bench him you might lose Geno for the rest of the season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
When i talk about discipline the only thing im talking about is stupid penalties, im not blaming the leadership group when other players play bad hockey.

I guess DB could bench Geno and Neal but your playing with fire when you start benching star players, i'd be afraid to see how Geno responds if he gets benched, he seems like such a baby sometimes, if you bench him you might lose Geno for the rest of the season.

Well you have a much lower opinion of Geno than I do. Paul Maurice benched him in the KHL last year and he was on fire after that.

Also, you need to stop doing what the media is doing and start connecting the dots. If undisciplined penalties are an issue and undisciplined play in other areas of the game, it's not a coincidence. These things are all interconnected and it's mostly a coaching issue. That's what I'm getting at.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/449200324927315968

Players practicing slapshots from the blue line. Kunitz, Neal, and Jokinen set up right in front of Fleury trying to tip it in.

I like reading this, that is how you score goals against a team like LA, its also the type of goals you need to score in the playoffs.

I bet Sid yelled at them telling them they need to practice this stuff more. That's what captains are supposed to do after all.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well you have a much lower opinion of Geno than I do. Paul Maurice benched him in the KHL last year and he was on fire after that.

Also, you need to stop doing what the media is doing and start connecting the dots. If undisciplined penalties are an issue and undisciplined play in other areas of the game, it's not a coincidence. These things are all interconnected and it's mostly a coaching issue. That's what I'm getting at.

After hearing about Geno and all this post Olympic stuff i do have a lower opinion of Geno then you do.

As far as the media goes, im just a fan, i know there are some things i don't know about the game, i have no idea what goes on in a NHL locker room, when Errey says something about how things are handled in the locker room im going to believe him, he knows much more about that then i do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
After hearing about Geno and all this post Olympic stuff i do have a lower opinion of Geno then you do.

As far as the media goes, im just a fan, i know there are some things i don't know about the game, i have no idea what goes on in a NHL locker room, when Errey says something about how things are handled in the locker room im going to believe him, he knows much more about that then i do.

Fair enough. You can believe what you want. I think you're wrong obviously, but we can agree to disagree on this issue.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Now try standing in front with Chara in your face. It would be nice if they could practice that :laugh:

They could hire Eric Cairns to come in for practice and defend the guy screening the goalie. But then he'd probably go crazy again and two-hand Crosby's knees or something.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Just have Brooksy stand there, cross checking them after every successful tip. Just another double agent Orpik move, he'll train our players via a Pavlovian response to NOT score.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/449201703796371457

Some good stuff here.

Love and hugs in the morning skate. How cute.

I imagine it went something like this:

200_s.gif

good-will-hunting-o.gif

200_s.gif

258440_o.gif

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
They could hire Eric Cairns to come in for practice and defend the guy screening the goalie. But then he'd probably go crazy again and two-hand Crosby's knees or something.

Eric Cairns has a window tinting company in Toronto. It's got a really imaginitive name too: "Eric Cairns Window Tinting Company"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad