Pre-Game Talk: Woody for Woodcroft - Oilers Islanders tomorrow!

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Has he been a head coach at the nhl yet?

no one knows how he will do

I didn't ask how he will do. He has been an assistant in the NHL and a head coach in the AHL, do you think he has sucked at those jobs?

Do you think being a good speaker can help a coach get his point across more effectively?

I understand you're trepidation but it kinda seems like you want him to fail.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have a different take on Draisaitl and McDavid. Draisaitl took a leap of faith as a teenager to go to Prince Albert Saskatchewan to challenge himself and immerse himself in a grossly different culture than he was born into. That takes special character, self belief and risk taking to pursue his craft that required a lot of sacrifice away from the rink. I've friends close to the Raiders team and they raved about Draisaitl the person. McDavid too jumped into a toxic remote junior team outposted in Erie Pennsylvania which could have damaged his personal success. When other elite junior players called their shots on where to play, McDavid and his strong family support system jumped fully into significant challenges posed in Erie. McDavid was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and everything we've heard or read about has been a singular focus to train, will and commit himself to becoming an elite hockey player. Born in Canada that's meant having to navigate fame and outside intrusion from a very young age. He's done that pretty well for the most part through the very down to earth family that's kept him grounded and humble.

I honestly don't see disgust in these two players or persons. Only a tendency to try to do too much to help carry an under gunned poorly built hockey team that's been a chronic issue for over a decade. No quick or run from the burning lights of a hot Canadian market fed up with this shit. They seem more all in to me grounded in very significant life and career choices both made at extremely young, formative ages.

EDIT: Wanted to add we only see snapshots of both players and really athletes broadly. It can either be manufactured images like 'Be Like Mike'; soundbites and snippets in media avails, but so much of an athlete's character and person is not accessible to us. We are left then to draw conclusions which I think can be faulty or simply incomplete of information.

I'm commenting on the McDrai of 2022. I know the player histories. But I think they are different now. The same thing happened to even Gretz. His head got too big for Edmonton at some point. WE have a shelf life here, to have this kind of world class player before they tire of being here. That has already occurred judging from how McDrai play worse at home than on road.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes I would load up the first line. Give McDrai a shot to revive this team. We can be a one-line team for 5-6 games, we need the Ws ASAP
So, in other words, do all of those things that everyone hated them doing in the past when we were struggling.;):laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thats fine that Woodcroft connects with that. So do I. I love working class communities, roots, not everybody does and Drai, if I'm being frank despises Edmonton, it doesn't speak to him and hes made the comment about missing Cologne and not having much to do in Edmonton lots. McD at this point doesn't strike me at all as down to Earth either. It struck me that he didn't want to be here when he was drafted. Just saying this because the working class community sell job may work with a lot of people. It isn't necessarily going to jive at all with McDrai. Thats part of the problem, and should be noted that this has regularly been a poor home team. Because they don't connect with the place. McDrai get more amped for games in big markets than they do here. Its a huge problem. Even with Rogers Place I kind of think Edmonton doesn't sell to them.

Gretz, Mess, they identified with working class cities. They were from them. Drai is from one of the most beautiful cities and areas in Europe. Its not the same. Years ago, or even last year my thoughts would be McDrai will adapt. Like I said last I've seen something much different since. I've seen looks of disgust at their plight here. That isn't good.

Well see what happens. Hopefully you're right.

Based on what?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Wow Woodcroft is much more articulate than Tippett.

It doesn't really matter if your GM is a bumbling speaker but your coach needs to be able to rally and rouse the troops when needed.

If any of you watched the Leafs All or Nothing series you might have noticed how motivational Keefe can be. I'm hoping Woodcroft can be of the same mold (obviously needs to have his Xs and Os in order too).

Reactions: Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm commenting on the McDrai of 2022. I know the player histories. But I think they are different now. The same thing happened to even Gretz. His head got too big for Edmonton at some point. WE have a shelf life here, to have this kind of world class player before they tire of being here. That has already occurred judging from how McDrai play worse at home than on road.

Appreciate you clarifying. Sorry I didn't make that distinction. I just don't think the foundation character has changed in these people/players. They are wealthy beyond belief through employment in Edmonton. They have significant off-season time to travel the world and cultivate those experiences which enhance their fulfilment in life. Now shifting to a work environment which has been chronically incompetent to adequate for fifteen years and I fully buy into that wearing on two people hard wired to win. But I don't buy the Doomsday Threat (yet) of McDavid and Draisaitl abandoning the cause of winning in Edmonton.

I have to see hope in this organization or it's time for me to pack in the time and energy I place as a tier two fan.

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wow Woodcroft is much more articulate than Tippett.

It doesn't really matter if your GM is a bumbling speaker but your coach needs to be able to rally and rouse the troops when needed.

If any of you watched the Leafs All or Nothing series you might have noticed how motivational Keefe can be. I'm hoping Woodcroft can be of the same mold (obviously needs to have his Xs and Os in order too).
He kind of reminds me of Paul Maurice in the way he talks.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not in my view because I like a checking line to big, physical, and bruising. Kind of what they had in Vegas before.

I maintain this always. If you are this tiny at the NHL level you better have enormous skill to compensate. Yama doesn't have anything close to that. We're just wasting time with him in topsix. He's a cooler. Hopefully the coaching staff realize that.

Ugghh just saw Yam in the projected line ups with Drai and Kane

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
So, in other words, do all of those things that everyone hated them doing in the past when we were struggling.;):laugh:

Making it to game 7 of the second round doesn't really count as struggling in my books......Tippet's "Balanced approach" gave us two early playoff exits

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Maybe Mike Smith can make it to the 4th shot this time without letting in a goal.

f*** this guy.

I realize you hate the guy, but reality is our only hope to make the playoffs is to play him till he gets the kinks out, and hope to heck to can stay healthy and regain his form of last year. Cause there aint no goalie cavalry coming to help us out.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Thats fine that Woodcroft connects with that. So do I. I love working class communities, roots, not everybody does and Drai, if I'm being frank despises Edmonton, it doesn't speak to him and hes made the comment about missing Cologne and not having much to do in Edmonton lots. McD at this point doesn't strike me at all as down to Earth either. It struck me that he didn't want to be here when he was drafted. Just saying this because the working class community sell job may work with a lot of people. It isn't necessarily going to jive at all with McDrai. Thats part of the problem, and should be noted that this has regularly been a poor home team. Because they don't connect with the place. McDrai get more amped for games in big markets than they do here. Its a huge problem. Even with Rogers Place I kind of think Edmonton doesn't sell to them.

Gretz, Mess, they identified with working class cities. They were from them. Drai is from one of the most beautiful cities and areas in Europe. Its not the same. Years ago, or even last year my thoughts would be McDrai will adapt. Like I said last I've seen something much different since. I've seen looks of disgust at their plight here. That isn't good.

Well see what happens. Hopefully you're right.

despite public rhetoric, don’t underestimate the impact of the covid protocol

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I realize you hate the guy, but reality is our only hope to make the playoffs is to play him till he gets the kinks out, and hope to heck to can stay healthy and regain his form of last year. Cause there aint no goalie cavalry coming to help us out.
Smith has been crap in basically every game he's played and if you play him too much you run the risk of him getting hurt again. Skinner has been better but doesn't get the benefit of the doubt like ol' Smith. Other than misplaced loyalty and pride there's no reason to keep going back to this guy.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Well you know this isn't true. Any coach here has a window of 5 games or 5minutes. This is coaching tumbleweeds flying around at high noon here. This is where coaches go to die. Not trying to be negative, but that is the reality here.

That said I don't even like Gulutzen and find that the PP has been widely scouted and not working anymore and hasn't been for months. But I never wanted Gulutzen here. just being honest.
Fair enough I was actually think about the power play recently. If we were to start putting either McDavid or RNH behind the net it would force teams to chase them and open more room for both Bouchard and Drai to set up for the one timer. It seems teams are now just covering Drais One timer and Nuges bumper because they know that’s where the puck will go 90 percent of the time.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Jay Woodcroft is going to have these guys ready to run through walls for him within a week. What a speaker he is.

Interesting. I really don't care what kind of a speaker he is, but to me he came across as a very average speaker. Seemed very genuine, which is more important to me, but I wouldn't call him a great orator.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I watched it and all Keefe did was insert f bombs every second word :laugh:

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting. I really don't care what kind of a speaker he is, but to me he came across as a very average speaker. Seemed very genuine, which is more important to me, but I wouldn't call him a great orator.

maybe he just seems really good after listening to Holland yesterday

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Based on what?

other than that they play worse at home, have limited involvement in the home games and get limited results and thier on ice expression in home games is like being in Siberia?

The Oilers have lost 10 games in regulation time on home ice. Halfway into the season that is not good, its not establishing the barn at all. Home fans here have been treated to nothing but crap games in 2022. Its why ticket prices are down to 30bucks for a lot of games. In Edmonton you literally can't give tickets away. Maybe you don't get this feeling not being here but in Edmonton but there is zero enthusiasm or demand for Oilers tickets here and even when they've been half capacity. The players are disconnected from the city and vice versa.

This is the Oilers home record over the last 10gp. 2-7-1. One of the worst home ice runs I've seen from any Oilers team. They had a homestand where they lost every game. The only two teams they've beat at home since Dec 1 are Calgary and Columbus. They got blown out 5 of the games. 2 were shutouts.

You think theres no indication that McDrai and the club are absolutely sucking at home? They have been for months.

As for Drai several times he's indicated he finds he doesn't care for Edmonton. "nothing to do here, I don't get the place, its nothing like Cologne where you can walk around and see enjoyable things" He said that in pressers in Cologne, he's said it at other times and he's said it in multiple languages. Basically Drai is bored here most of the time. I mean not everybody gets Edmonton, and for sure if I grew up in Cologne or Europe in comparison I would probably think Edmonton sucks pretty hard as well.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough I was actually think about the power play recently. If we were to start putting either McDavid or RNH behind the net it would force teams to chase them and open more room for both Bouchard and Drai to set up for the one timer. It seems teams are now just covering Drais One timer and Nuges bumper because they know that’s where the puck will go 90 percent of the time.

Agreed. They keep looking to passes across to Drai. But what would be better is McD go behind the net, and freeze the goalie by dummying a fake pass to Hyman in front, instead keep going and just slot it to Drai in his usual spot. They've actually done this, almost by accident of coverage, and its worked, but didn't go back to it much. Its critical though that the fake pass in front is made, thus freezing goalie and faking D coverage.

In football so many plays are setup through having several simultaneous options and running play action. Oilers really need to be working that, and working fakes into their game. They have the skill to do it, its the little things like that in execution that they are absolutely failing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad