Pre-Game Talk: Woody for Woodcroft - Oilers Islanders tomorrow!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks. The big domino issue. That was the part that was problematic to me. Because for one it isn't that. Its a series of issues. It just seemed such a simplistic way to state it. I dunno. When he finds the biggest issue in the room will be a telling moment but it could also be an incredibly diffficult one to navigate.

I mean the biggest egos in the room that Woodcroft has had to navigate thus far are who? Benson? Thats the quantum difference in AHL vs NHL dynamic. In AHL everybody is going to listen to you because they want the dream. They know the only chance they have getting to the NHL is through you, and working with you.

NHL is way different because the players have arrived years ago, have already been through this coach thing several times. Woodcroft will be staring off at guys that aren't beyond calling you out, looking the other way, or shaking their head. I include Drai in that. He's not his normal self this season. Something has changed. We know McD has changed. The trouble is Woodcrofts first impression with this group was not at all successful. Thats another challenge. First impressions are huge.
I think I disagree. It is a series of issues for sure but the reason you focus on the big issues first is that after you get that out of the way, you can work on the others. It is a simplistic way to look at it for sure but like it sounds like he knows what the issue is or he wouldn't have brought it up. Like, if my house sucks, but the #1 issue is the foundation, no matter what I do above, it won't matter if the foundation is still in disrepair. Like I might fix a wall but the house might sink and remess up the wall. Fix the major issues then everything else is easier to fix. Its a hard goal but it makes sense.

The ego part is hard, however he has worked under guys who were great in the past who had big egos and he was here in McDavids first years too. So he may have a bit of a step up on that, then other AHL guys would but that will be the biggest issue.

Actually his first impressions with the team weren't bad, yeah there was PP issues but I distinctly remember that when he was removed from the NHL team and sent down to the AHL team as coach, the players were upset but were happy he was still with the org. The players seem to like him and bought what he was selling even though the team as a whole was struggling with McLellan and the roster we had. The players have always had really good things to say about him and not just the basic "yeah he is a good coach" way either.

Reactions: oilers'72

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I told y'all y'all would be playing games now with hy-man and puljujarvi...... with kane on the drai line. These three (especially Jesse and Hy-Man) are so key..... the most key players under McDavid and Draisaitl. For life sire. For life. ps Yamamoto is not important. Not at all. Never will be. I know ice hockey. He is weak.

Guaranteedo: Hyman's and Puljujarvi's game will evolve and rise to the occation. Period. Under the new cecoach. Kane is already killing it big tyme. Like he always did with the sharks already. He one of the biggest power forwards in today's game.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Eakins was a bs speaker. That was my read, people can go back to it. Standard snake oil stuff. One way to tell is people are saying things that are not garden variety. They invent vernacular. The classic word salad that doesn't mean anything. Chop wood carry water became the meme for a reason. Eakins was big into pretty useless slogans. I didn't bs from Woodcroft today, although I didn't like his one comment on the biggest (can't remember the word he used) thing to confront.

I'll mention here that Hitch came off fairly eloquent. Doesn't predict what will occur though.

Woodcroft made some phrasing mistakes. "I'll try" within saying today isn't about me. Thats a disconnect. Its also not what anybody expects. In his position you use declaritive statements. Will do this, not try to do this..

Woodcroft is in a hard spot as with several coaches in doubt will be hard to battle. He needs to focus on that. The doubt paradigm. Because its really stron on the ice and the bench. One of the teams biggest nemesis is they don't believe.
Totally agree on Eakins always reminded me of a cheesy car salesman. Said a whole bunch without really saying much at all. I think the best communicator we had was actually Ralph Kruger which we all know the story behind that one.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This team will rise or fall on the play of its elites, goaltending keeping its head above water, and willingness to work harder and smarter at goal prevention.

Woodcroft impressed me with his media avails. Articulate and clear in his communication. Seeing 'hard work' as a connector between Edmonton and Bakersfield is a tell for one of his core beliefs. If he can coax this team to play with a consistent, higher work rate that will be a valuable asset. Despite his young age, there is really deep and diverse NHL/AHL level experience including sponge time with solid NHL coaching trees, Bowman, Babcock, McLellan.

Resetting the top line with Hyman and Puljujarvi versus spreading out marginal talent with the three centre 'spine'. Draisaitl gets a big, physical skill finisher guy in Kane and the Yamamoto work rate though inconsistent production test continues. Nugent Hopkins, Ryan and Foegele will give smart, responsible two-way play in the three hole. Not sure about the finishing ability there. And I like the fourth line developing centre McLeod who might get some lift with his AHL running mate.

Dcorp is spreading thin with Keith's loss. Lagesson upgraded to 2nd pair could be an adventure as with Niemelainen/Barrie. But at least there is some physical, compete level within an easy to play against d-corp. Will be interesting to watch Broberg's status - is he a short-term place holder Woodcroft/Manson might feel needs more AHL development time or will he onboard to the NHL d-corp over the next couple of games.

Hope this team responds to the adrenaline boost its been given with the new car smell that new 'voices' offers when massive under performance happens. I like this new coaching tandem. Will the players that drive on-ice results is where rubber hits the road. (Methinks yes).

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
giphy.gif

2 Win in 8 starts is oddly attractive.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Boob is pissed about the article too

I figured he would be. He took Spec to task over the post Chicago series article he wrote.

Matheson in a tweet today also said it’s on the players and he’s getting ratio’d pretty hard last time I checked.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I've looked at the Oilers board and haven't seen any of the players pressers. I missed part of the live stream so maybe that was it? Are the players comments available anywhere yet?

That said the reality is I need more than words. I'm past being faith based, thats for sure. heh

They should be on the Oilers website by now.

And of course action speaks louder than words.

The players seemed frustrated with the lack of change in Tippett’s system and his handling of the lines.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This team will rise or fall on the play of its elites, goaltending keeping its head above water, and willingness to work harder and smarter at goal prevention.

Woodcroft impressed me with his media avails. Articulate and clear in his communication. Seeing 'hard work' as a connector between Edmonton and Bakersfield is a tell for one of his core beliefs. If he can coax this team to play with a consistent, higher work rate that will be a valuable asset. Despite his young age, there is really deep and diverse NHL/AHL level experience including sponge time with solid NHL coaching trees, Bowman, Babcock, McLellan.

Resetting the top line with Hyman and Puljujarvi versus spreading out marginal talent with the three centre 'spine'. Draisaitl gets a big, physical skill finisher guy in Kane and the Yamamoto work rate though inconsistent production test continues. Nugent Hopkins, Ryan and Foegele will give smart, responsible two-way play in the three hole. Not sure about the finishing ability there. And I like the fourth line developing centre McLeod who might get some lift with his AHL running mate.

Dcorp is spreading thin with Keith's loss. Lagesson upgraded to 2nd pair could be an adventure as with Niemelainen/Barrie. But at least there is some physical, compete level within an easy to play against d-corp. Will be interesting to watch Broberg's status - is he a short-term place holder Woodcroft/Manson might feel needs more AHL development time or will he onboard to the NHL d-corp over the next couple of games.

Hope this team responds to the adrenaline boost its been given with the new car smell that new 'voices' offers when massive under performance happens. I like this new coaching tandem. Will the players that drive on-ice results is where rubber hits the road. (Methinks yes).

Thats fine that Woodcroft connects with that. So do I. I love working class communities, roots, not everybody does and Drai, if I'm being frank despises Edmonton, it doesn't speak to him and hes made the comment about missing Cologne and not having much to do in Edmonton lots. McD at this point doesn't strike me at all as down to Earth either. It struck me that he didn't want to be here when he was drafted. Just saying this because the working class community sell job may work with a lot of people. It isn't necessarily going to jive at all with McDrai. Thats part of the problem, and should be noted that this has regularly been a poor home team. Because they don't connect with the place. McDrai get more amped for games in big markets than they do here. Its a huge problem. Even with Rogers Place I kind of think Edmonton doesn't sell to them.

Gretz, Mess, they identified with working class cities. They were from them. Drai is from one of the most beautiful cities and areas in Europe. Its not the same. Years ago, or even last year my thoughts would be McDrai will adapt. Like I said last I've seen something much different since. I've seen looks of disgust at their plight here. That isn't good.

Well see what happens. Hopefully you're right.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
heyyyy does everyone remember a few years back when people wanted Woodcroft's head on a stick around here? Good luck in there, buddy.
That was due to his bottom of league power play. As long as Gulutzen is still running th PP I’m sure most will have no issue.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was due to his bottom of league power play. As long as Gulutzen is still running th PP I’m sure most will have no issue.

Well you know this isn't true. Any coach here has a window of 5 games or 5minutes. This is coaching tumbleweeds flying around at high noon here. This is where coaches go to die. Not trying to be negative, but that is the reality here.

That said I don't even like Gulutzen and find that the PP has been widely scouted and not working anymore and hasn't been for months. But I never wanted Gulutzen here. just being honest.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I was so ready to tune out but now I don't know what to do

do I watch the game or actually enjoy my friday night?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thats fine that Woodcroft connects with that. So do I. I love working class communities, roots, not everybody does and Drai, if I'm being frank despises Edmonton, it doesn't speak to him and hes made the comment about missing Cologne and not having much to do in Edmonton lots. McD at this point doesn't strike me at all as down to Earth either. It struck me that he didn't want to be here when he was drafted. Just saying this because the working class community sell job may work with a lot of people. It isn't necessarily going to jive at all with McDrai. Thats part of the problem, and should be noted that this has regularly been a poor home team. Because they don't connect with the place. McDrai get more amped for games in big markets than they do here. Its a huge problem. Even with Rogers Place I kind of think Edmonton doesn't sell to them.

Gretz, Mess, they identified with working class cities. They were from them. Drai is from one of the most beautiful cities and areas in Europe. Its not the same. Years ago, or even last year my thoughts would be McDrai will adapt. Like I said last I've seen something much different since. I've seen looks of disgust at their plight here. That isn't good.

Well see what happens. Hopefully you're right.

I have a different take on Draisaitl and McDavid. Draisaitl took a leap of faith as a teenager to go to Prince Albert Saskatchewan to challenge himself and immerse himself in a grossly different culture than he was born into. That takes special character, self belief and risk taking to pursue his craft that required a lot of sacrifice away from the rink. I've friends close to the Raiders team and they raved about Draisaitl the person. McDavid too jumped into a toxic remote junior team outposted in Erie Pennsylvania which could have damaged his personal success. When other elite junior players called their shots on where to play, McDavid and his strong family support system jumped fully into significant challenges posed in Erie. McDavid was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and everything we've heard or read about has been a singular focus to train, will and commit himself to becoming an elite hockey player. Born in Canada that's meant having to navigate fame and outside intrusion from a very young age. He's done that pretty well for the most part through the very down to earth family that's kept him grounded and humble.

I honestly don't see disgust in these two players or persons. Only a tendency to try to do too much to help carry an under gunned poorly built hockey team that's been a chronic issue for over a decade. No quick or run from the burning lights of a hot Canadian market fed up with this shit. They seem more all in to me grounded in very significant life and career choices both made at extremely young, formative ages.

EDIT: Wanted to add we only see snapshots of both players and really athletes broadly. It can either be manufactured images like 'Be Like Mike'; soundbites and snippets in media avails, but so much of an athlete's character and person is not accessible to us. We are left then to draw conclusions which I think can be faulty or simply incomplete of information.

Edit 2: Sorry additional thought. I can accept my teams losing when I see the work rate and effort was put in to compete. I lose my shit when it is not. This is a very simple premise that all players in any sport at any level can control. Too often I've seen the Oilers lose with what I perceive as half-assed effort.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad