Pre-Game Talk: Woody for Woodcroft - Oilers Islanders tomorrow!

duul

Jun 21, 2010
other than that they play worse at home, have limited involvement in the home games and get limited results and thier on ice expression in home games is like being in Siberia?

The Oilers have lost 10 games in regulation time on home ice. Halfway into the season that is not good, its not establishing the barn at all. Home fans here have been treated to nothing but crap games in 2022. Its why ticket prices are down to 30bucks for a lot of games. In Edmonton you literally can't give tickets away. Maybe you don't get this feeling not being here but in Edmonton but there is zero enthusiasm or demand for Oilers tickets here and even when they've been half capacity. The players are disconnected from the city and vice versa.

This is the Oilers home record over the last 10gp. 2-7-1. One of the worst home ice runs I've seen from any Oilers team. They had a homestand where they lost every game. The only two teams they've beat at home since Dec 1 are Calgary and Columbus. They got blown out 5 of the games. 2 were shutouts.

You think theres no indication that McDrai and the club are absolutely sucking at home? They have been for months.

As for Drai several times he's indicated he finds he doesn't care for Edmonton. "nothing to do here, I don't get the place, its nothing like Cologne where you can walk around and see enjoyable things" He said that in pressers in Cologne, he's said it at other times and he's said it in multiple languages. Basically Drai is bored here most of the time. I mean not everybody gets Edmonton, and for sure if I grew up in Cologne or Europe in comparison I would probably think Edmonton sucks pretty hard as well.
I remember on Spittin Chiclets when Draisaitl and McDavid were on, he ripped into the city while sarcastically talking about the 'beauty' of the Edmonton River Valley. I don't live there personally, but I thought it was a pretty bad look for a guy to talk about.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Agreed. They keep looking to passes across to Drai. But what would be better is McD go behind the net, and freeze the goalie by dummying a fake pass to Hyman in front, instead keep going and just slot it to Drai in his usual spot. They've actually done this, almost by accident of coverage, and its worked, but didn't go back to it much. Its critical though that the fake pass in front is made, thus freezing goalie and faking D coverage.

In football so many plays are setup through having several simultaneous options and running play action. Oilers really need to be working that, and working fakes into their game. They have the skill to do it, its the little things like that in execution that they are absolutely failing to do.
See why don’t we apply for the next coaching job bud? Can’t really get much worse can it?

Reactions: tardigrade81

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I remember on Spittin Chiclets when Draisaitl and McDavid were on, he ripped into the city while sarcastically talking about the 'beauty' of the Edmonton River Valley. I don't live there personally, but I thought it was a pretty bad look for a guy to talk about.

Yep. People don't want to really know what Drai thinks of the place here. By no means would he ever live here, and playoffs would cut into time getting out of dodge. But yeah, I saw some quotes on Drais comments on that. he's made those a few times. But there were a few interviews from Cologne where he kind of blasted Edmonton. Wasn't a good look either. I still like the player, lol, but tbh Leon is turning into a bit of a dick. jmo. Parts of it I like, parts I don't because I know where this kind of attitude can lead to.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
See why don’t we apply for the next coaching job bud? Can’t really get much worse can it?

Oh it could get a lot lot lot worse...hehe

My D scheme would be bee's flying around. lol I'm still trying to figure out what Calgary are doing. I follow basic schemes. it used to be easier, but now teams are putting in a lot more wrinkles, disguises.

In Soccer for instance I give up trying to figure out what teams are scheming and just watch the game. lol

probably would be easier in person watching full pitch or ice but on TV you only see the frame they show you and harder to see everything thats happening.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Oh it could get a lot lot lot worse...hehe

My D scheme would be bee's flying around. lol I'm still trying to figure out what Calgary are doing. I follow basic schemes. it used to be easier, but now teams are putting in a lot more wrinkles, disguises.

In Soccer for instance I give up trying to figure out what teams are scheming and just watch the game. lol

probably would be easier in person watching full pitch or ice but on TV you only see the frame they show you and harder to see everything thats happening.
True enough from what I can tell the Flames are actually playing the same system Woodcroft employs. 1-3-1 in the neutral zone and 2-1-2 in the offensive zone. The 2-1-2 in the offensive zone should and stress should cut down on the odd man rushes

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad