Post-Game Talk: Woodcroft + Practice Time = Profit???

How many teeth will McDavid have left by the end of the season?

• Total voters

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Put me in the camp that says Smith still didn't look good, but faced about as easy a game a goalie could possibly face.

At no point did he look confident stopping basic shots, not being able to corral several basic shots that went to his crest that almost trickled through him. He's also still just falling to the ice with his pads flat on shots that come in low, and honestly it's a miracle that another 5 hole goal or two didn't go in. The goal he gave up, although a one timer, wasn't really all that well placed and was from far out. Problem is he was half way in his own net again so he was too deep and slow to cross.

He is going to get killed playing in a game where he has to actually make saves.

However, the rest of the team was fantastic. Refreshing to finally lay waste to a team that we should lay waste to. McDavid mercifully has found his traditional late season gear after the longest stretch of not good hockey (by his standards) he has ever played.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Leavins is such a shill. Smith had such an easy night.

Smith was good tonight. His puck moving was superb. But the media has such a hard on for Smith. I wonder if their opinion or just something management is spreading to them.

I'm glad that Smith had a good game last night but his numbers arent good this year. Yet the organization/media act like hes the savior.

Reactions: frag2

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Why would he be starting him the playoffs if we are just using him in the easy games to Koskinen rest?
I can’t remember a team the rotated goalie’s in the playoffs. If we can’t overplay Koskinen and can’t rely on Smith what do we have…

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
that was a beatdown, thouroughly. awesome to see, send the devils packing and lets catch the flames

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was the clubs best game I felt under Woodcroft. Seemed like a more complete 3 period effort. It coincides with getting players back and all of Kassian, Pulju, Russell, Archibald allow the team more depth regardless of what one thinks about those players. I do think whether Pulju scores or not he adds an element, another big hard to play against forward that the club needs. Despite having little luck around the net the Drai line was constantly a handful. Man some of the cycling shifts they had were pure beauty. Drai is getting looks with better wingers than he's had for years. Its so seldom that he has two suitable wingers.

Yama is in his elevated phase. Hopefully it lasts. McD playing all world again. Buffalo don't appear to be much of an opponent but the Oilers refused to let them get anything established.

I kept seeing criticism of Smith despite him having a good game, and he was called upon to make some difficult stops, for instance on a break by Jeff Skinner getting his blocker on a perfectly placed shot from a pure shot goal scorer. He even made some stops on deflections. While he could have had the one goal I don't think a pass across ice to a one timer, nicely taken shot, should be thought of as a bad goal..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm eating a large crow brisket after Smith's performance... guy played well and while I had a gut feeling the Oilers would lay an offensive beating on Buffalo (they could have had 10)... I certainly DID NOT know that Smith would be good in the game. I honestly thought this was going to be some firewagon 8-7 type game with the Oilers outscoring their issues (Smith) in net.

Great game all around by the team including a solid game by the goalie.

More like this and this team cruises to a solid playoff spot and holy f***... watch out if this team rolls into the playoffs healthy and with confidence. (I actually hope they don't win their final few regular season games by scores of 6-1 etc as their heads will be too swollen... need them to stay humble and bring lots of piss and vinegar into the series to beat up on their 1st round opponent).
I had a feeling this was going to be a beatdown and Smith having a better game. Sounds like his injuries are nagging. Not enough to keep him out of lineup long but that pre-empt him getting regular starts. But last night was a better commitment from the team to providing puck support and levels of D coverage. Oilers also with more active sticks breaking up plays. With Smith in net and often handling puck our breakout is better. We had a ton of open ice though in this game and at times the Sabres push back was not considerable. Thought Barrie had a solid game and Russel. Regardless of what people feel these are better options than rook D going down the stretch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Put me in the camp that says Smith still didn't look good, but faced about as easy a game a goalie could possibly face.

At no point did he look confident stopping basic shots, not being able to corral several basic shots that went to his crest that almost trickled through him. He's also still just falling to the ice with his pads flat on shots that come in low, and honestly it's a miracle that another 5 hole goal or two didn't go in. The goal he gave up, although a one timer, wasn't really all that well placed and was from far out. Problem is he was half way in his own net again so he was too deep and slow to cross.

He is going to get killed playing in a game where he has to actually make saves.

However, the rest of the team was fantastic. Refreshing to finally lay waste to a team that we should lay waste to. McDavid mercifully has found his traditional late season gear after the longest stretch of not good hockey (by his standards) he has ever played.
Yeah, stoning Skinner close in, blocker save on a sniper, such an easy stop. Deflection saves, so easy. C'mon. Combined with his playing the puck this was a solid outing. Smith is also strong physically (both our goalies are) and the one play with Dahlin, a lot of goalies would have more trouble keeping that puck out. Dahlin and Nurse crashing into you, thats as much freight train as a goalie ever sees.

Smith did get across on the one timer but the puck found a way in. It happens. I mean hey critique every aspect of a 1GA performance among facing 30 shots.

You know its OK to say a goalie played reasonably well even if said goalie has been on the shit list all year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It will take a while for Smith to build trust back. A goalie judged by their consistency first and foremost, and one good game doesnt move the needle a lot. Even with Koskinen, midway into his resurgence he had a bad reputation still.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, stoning Skinner close in, blocker save on a sniper, such an easy stop. Deflection saves, so easy. C'mon. Combined with his playing the puck this was a solid outing. Smith is also strong physically (both our goalies are and the one play with Dahlin, a lot of goalies would have more trouble keeping that puck out. Dahlin and Nurse crashing into you, thats as much freight train as a goalie ever sees.

Smith did get across on the one timer but the puck found a way in. It happens. I mean hey critique every aspect of a 1GA performance among facing 30 shots.

You know its OK to say a goalie played reasonably well even if said goalie has been on the shit list all year.

Stopping one difficult shot or deflections that every goalie in the league typically save is not cause for celebration for me. It's like celebrating a D level student scratching out a B- on a test. Cause for celebration, but only by his low bar that he set for himself.

He still didn't look comfortable, he still didn't know where the puck was half the time, and he was still looking behind and around himself on various easy saves when the puck was loose somewhere when it shouldn't be. And the goal against went in because he was deep in his net again, which is a continuation of the same critical problem that has plagued him.

I'm enthused that he managed to not puke all over himself in this game, but let's not pretend he's "back" or anything. The same issues are all still there and he got as easy a ride as a goalie will get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just gonna touch on this aspect but people commenting on a lack of posting. Theres a lot of factors in this. Heres possibly some.

1) Seems like the teams two month losing string knocked the sails out of a lot of fans. A lot of them haven't been back here, or probably at Rogers place. Its still disconcerting to me as well to see the team kind of lay down like that. I still don't have complete faith in the club consistency. Just voicing that for people that are no longer posting.

2) Covid fatigue, other world issues, people are gobsmacked. Tons of people that are down, economically impacted, suffering, and too much to be posting much or at all.

3) Calgary. How many people are disgusted with the season Flames are having. I know this is a factor in some tuning out.

4)Inflation, price of tickets. A lot of people tap out when they know they will no longer be able to afford to go to games. Plus for most of the season the Oilers were crap at home.

5) Just generally there is very little Oilers enthusiasm in the City. Decades of org incompetence and countless bad deals and moves have removed a lot of fans. A 4 game W streak isn't enough to erase that. This team had more of a following in this city in its darkest times, and even at Rexall, and it seems like the particular ineptness of the org while having McDrai has chased a lot of people away.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Smith really didn't have much high scoring chances. The team played excellent but good on him for not breaking the dam. Love the win! Now make a good trade for a good player

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stopping one difficult shot or deflections that every goalie in the league typically save is not cause for celebration for me. It's like celebrating a D level student scratching out a B- on a test. Cause for celebration, but only by his low bar that he set for himself.

He still didn't look comfortable, he still didn't know where the puck was half the time, and he was still looking behind and around himself on various easy saves when the puck was loose somewhere when it shouldn't be. And the goal against went in because he was deep in his net again, which is a continuation of the same critical problem that has plagued him.

I'm enthused that he managed to not puke all over himself in this game, but let's not pretend he's "back" or anything. The same issues are all still there and he got as easy a ride as a goalie will get.
Nobody is saying celebrate. you wrote multiple points critiquing a one goal against performance. You're still making odd comments like the bolded. Smith has been playing injured. Its a known. Its been stated multiple times. For any goalie, even guys like Quick, injuries impact how they play. Of course age does too. The guy played a decent game. Hopefully he can backstop some more because we know Koskinen needs some rest days at times.

I never said Smith was "back" or anything like that. I haven't said anything unreasonable in the post.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just gonna touch on this aspect but people commenting on a lack of posting. Theres a lot of factors in this. Heres possibly some.

1) Seems like the teams two month losing string knocked the sails out of a lot of fans. A lot of them haven't been back here, or probably at Rogers place. Its still disconcerting to me as well to see the team kind of lay down like that. I still don't have complete faith in the club consistency. Just voicing that for people that are no longer posting.

2) Covid fatigue, other world issues, people are gobsmacked. Tons of people that are down, economically impacted, suffering, and too much to be posting much or at all.

3) Calgary. How many people are disgusted with the season Flames are having. I know this is a factor in some tuning out.

4)Inflation, price of tickets. A lot of people tap out when they know they will no longer be able to afford to go to games. Plus for most of the season the Oilers were crap at home.

5) Just generally there is very little Oilers enthusiasm in the City. Decades of org incompetence and countless bad deals and moves have removed a lot of fans. A 4 game W streak isn't enough to erase that. This team had more of a following in this city in its darkest times, and even at Rexall, and it seems like the particular ineptness of the org while having McDrai has chased a lot of people away.
There's surprisingly not much enthusiasm here in Calgary either. I don't see all that many people with jerseys on or car flags. At least one coworker I spoke to expressed unease about another potential playoff failure.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's surprisingly not much enthusiasm here in Calgary either. I don't see all that many people with jerseys on or car flags. At least one coworker I spoke to expressed unease about another potential playoff failure.
This is the clear fan dynamic and feeling with these two clubs respectively;

1647619018044.png

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All Canadian team fans are basically eternally cynical about their teams now. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop, because it has for the last 30 years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is the clear fan dynamic and feeling with these two clubs respectively;

View attachment 517620
All Canadian team fans are basically eternally cynical about their teams now. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop, because it has for the last 30 years.
I fully understand any unease by the Canadian clubs. Calgary definitely appears to be the one with the fewest weaknesses but after Colorado picked them apart in 2019 they've become wary. Toronto has an absolute gauntlet to go through to get to the Conference Finals. And we of course have basically everything after the forwards to worry about. If there's one thing all three fanbases can understand, it's the team falling apart at the worst possible time.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The success of our goaltending is the change in system by the new regime. D standing up at our blue line, forwards coming back deeper. Seeing much less chasing in our zone and fewer scramble/deflection chances. More clear shots from outside make both tenders play at the top of the crease with confidence.

Reactions: KenLinsemanFanClub

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Over last decade Canadian club performance has been even more dismal. Only Montreal with much to cheer about in playoff hockey and all their fans know that club was pretty dismantled and ain't coming back. Sens got a sniff as well one season but its a small market club nobody pays attention to. Another Winnipeg.

Look at the Canadian division clubs from last year and every team but the Habs had a very bad experience post season. Every team except Habs crash and burned.

Also the case in Bettman era fans seeing so much that seems rigged to favor the US clubs or that is just economically, or climate, or tax advantage, or cap malfeasance favoring those clubs. The players themselves add to this. Gone are the times where players want to play in Canada. Where they prefer to play to rabid hockey markets. This is gone.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
What a game to see in person for my first time at Rogers Place.

JP looks really rusty, but was still in a good position to be dangerous most of the night from what I could tell.

Smith didn’t have a hard night, but he made the stops he needed to and hopefully can build some momentum because it really doesn’t feel like we’re getting and G help at the deadline.

Yams is looking really good lately with Mcdavid.

Overall, I’m loving a lot of what’s happening right now, we just need to keep it going. I also want to see JP on the third line when RNH comes back. McLeod looked really good with Drai so I don’t think it’s fair to demote him for a fresh from injury JP, but without nuge there really isn’t another option for 3C.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Over last decade Canadian club performance has been even more dismal. Only Montreal with much to cheer about in playoff hockey and all their fans know that club was pretty dismantled and ain't coming back. Sens got a sniff as well one season but its a small market club nobody pays attention to. Another Winnipeg.

Look at the Canadian division clubs from last year and every team but the Habs had a very bad experience post season. Every team except Habs crash and burned.

Also the case in Bettman era fans seeing so much that seems rigged to favor the US clubs or that is just economically, or climate, or tax advantage, or cap malfeasance favoring those clubs. The players themselves add to this. Gone are the times where players want to play in Canada. Where they prefer to play to rabid hockey markets. This is gone.
The only city in Canada players want to play in is Toronto because its the closest to the amenities of a big American cities and its close to New York etc.

And even then Toronto can't get over the last game in the first round.

Canadian teams also seem to react to the "pressure" from fans way more. A lot of the American teams just seem to do what they need to do, to improve as a team and org and just quiet the fans. In Canada teams honestly listen to fans far too much for worse it seems and are also way more likely to be full of nepotism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad