Woodcraft for Jack Adams?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Saw some crazy stat that for over 100 games he has #2 win percentage of all time.

When he arrived last year Oilers were out of playoff spot, took them to Western Finals and again this year posting a great record.

Should he be a nominee at all? Hard to vote against Montgomery but imo Woodcraft should be second or up there at least.

Montgomery shoukd be a lock for Jack Adams as much as mcdavid for MVP.

Hakstol shoukd probably be a finalist too. There's another name that was in my head which escapes me at the moment.... Edit: now I remember it was lindy ruff.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He’s not bad, but the oilers spent much of the season looking very pedestrian even with McDavid going off. Much of that team is still McDrai and the powerplay

Montgomery is the guy. Brind’Amour continuing on with an excellent defense team, Lindy Ruff and the devils have looked amazing. I like the idea of him getting booed by his own fans and winning the Adams in the same year

There’s a few other guys on teams that have improved this year over past seasons that also aren’t near front runners, but about even with Woodcroft imo
Nope, not true anymore. Obviously those guys are a huge reason why the team is where it is but they've been getting contributions all throughout the lineup this season and Ekholm was a monster add, 16-2-1 since he's been on the team.

I'm also not sure what pedestrian most of the season means. The Oilers have the best record in the league in the New Year, that's 3+ months of elite play.
With that said, Montgomery is as locked in as locked gets so all the other coaches are battling for 2nd place.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Nope, not true anymore. Obviously those guys are a huge reason why the team is where it is but they've been getting contributions all throughout the lineup this season and Ekholm was a monster add, 16-2-1 since he's been on the team.

I'm also not sure what pedestrian most of the season means. The Oilers have the best record in the league in the New Year, that's 3+ months of elite play.
With that said, Montgomery is as locked in as locked gets so all the other coaches are battling for 2nd place.
Kinda like how the Jets were near the top then fell wildly off, the oilers were at or below the wildcard spot on and off for a while, I vividly the fan meltdowns in numerous post games often insulting Woodcroft before the win streak

Im not saying the disqualifies him, but there’s three coaches probably more deserving of him as their teams have been much better much more of season.

Plenty of their early wins seemed to be “they got more powerplays than penalty kills, they got this one”. Not to say they don’t look legit great right now, but its pfairly good bet the same team with Kucherov instead of McDavid or some other normal tier star for Drai would be lower in the standings even if playing great right now. He’s got god tier top-2 who will lead scoring on any team with any system

I’m not saying their play right now doesn’t count, but there’s three teams who’s coaches got more out them more consistently all year, and I partly see Woodcroft in the running like Gallant last year. They were high in the standings, but much of the season they were eh at 5v5 and carried by historic goaltending and potent special teams. Woodcroft stronger than Gallant, it’s not the exact same.

I have at least Ruff and Montgomery over him. Rod has at least as strong as Woodcroft for his continued success with a team that has nothing close to the potent offense of McDrai. Total buy-in to his system even if it likely hurts some of his stars offense

Saying he’s a good coach who deserves recognition for it generally I get and agree with. I don’t think he’s a strong Adam’s contender

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
It's Montgomery for me. Historic season, Hasn't won it before and on a team that wasn't expected to torch the league the way they are.

Honorable mentions - Lindy Ruff, Jay Woodcroft, Dave Hakstol

Reactions: Satire

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The answer to this thread is Montgomery. Would like to see Woody in the top 3 though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kinda like how the Jets were near the top then fell wildly off, the oilers were at or below the wildcard spot on and off for a while, I vividly the fan meltdowns in numerous post games often insulting Woodcroft before the win streak

Im not saying the disqualifies him, but there’s three coaches probably more deserving of him as their teams have been much better much more of season.

Plenty of their early wins seemed to be “they got more powerplays than penalty kills, they got this one”. Not to say they don’t look legit great right now, but its pfairly good bet the same team with Kucherov instead of McDavid or some other normal tier star for Drai would be lower in the standings even if playing great right now. He’s got god tier top-2 who will lead scoring on any team with any system

I’m not saying their play right now doesn’t count, but there’s three teams who’s coaches got more out them more consistently all year, and I partly see Woodcroft in the running like Gallant last year. They were high in the standings, but much of the season they were eh at 5v5 and carried by historic goaltending and potent special teams. Woodcroft stronger than Gallant, it’s not the exact same.

I have at least Ruff and Montgomery over him. Rod has at least as strong as Woodcroft for his continued success with a team that has nothing close to the potent offense of McDrai. Total buy-in to his system even if it likely hurts some of his stars offense

Saying he’s a good coach who deserves recognition for it generally I get and agree with. I don’t think he’s a strong Adam’s contender
An argument against this would be, if the team started slowly, and improved as the year went on, you could say they were "coached" into becoming a better team!

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
For what having McDavid carry the team?
I wonder if McDavid was responsible for the saves and goals the other players have contributed.

He must be the only reason. I wonder if the rest of the elite teams are very good based on the skill of elite players.

What a concept!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

The oilers have the 2nd best record in regulation, them and Boston only teams with 40+ regulation wins
Bos 50
Oilers44
Leafs 39

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
For what having McDavid carry the team?

To be fair, a significant number of jack Adams winners are just a goalie carrying a bad team to an unexpected playoff spot. So it wouldn’t be totally off the mark.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
An argument against this would be, if the team started slowly, and improved as the year went on, you could say they were "coached" into becoming a better team!
Or as most oilers fans say, they added a great defenseman at the deadline

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Montgomery followed by Ruff, the third could be a few guys and Woodcroft wouldn't surprise me.

Anyone other than Monty or Ruff as the actual winner would surprise me though.

Monty for the obvious, Ruff because the Devils have had the biggest single season jump ever (right?)

Reactions: Chips

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Saw some crazy stat that for over 100 games he has #2 win percentage of all time.

When he arrived last year Oilers were out of playoff spot, took them to Western Finals and again this year posting a great record.

Should he be a nominee at all? Hard to vote against Montgomery but imo Woodcraft should be second or up there at least.
What's with all these Oilers threads lately. No the Oilers coach shouldn't win it, it should be the Boston's coach for trying to get the most wins in NHL history in a season.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Both can be true. I think you'll find that most Oiler fans think Woodcroft is a great coach, if we're just taking their word for it now.
I agree he is too. I just don’t think he’s got a serious chance at the Adams

They got hot late last year reg season. Then outside of McDrai their team was something a mixed bag outside of the flames collapse.

Then they start and last as cold for a while, then they get hot

I get how good their recent stretch is but the “real” team is probably somewhere in the middle

Montgomery helped revive the Bruins as a serious contender and they’re gunning for history. The devils are easily one of the most improved teams this year

The rest of the team has to play well for the oilers latest stretch of games is true, but I’m really not gonna give Woodcroft the entire credit for McJesus and his dual even strength + powerplay impact, and they’re still just the 7th team in the league (so far). Much of that is roster too, yes.

I know I know even strength, but the rest of the game exists too lol

I’m not at all arguing he isn’t a great coach. The thread was “Adams”. A hot streak doesn’t auto you into Adams territory I wouldn’t be super surprised if he’s in there, but I’d be less surprised if he isn’t.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I don’t think you get to win coach of the year if you have Connor McDavid on your team.
Sather won with Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, and Fuhr.

Anyway, Woodcroft is a good coach and has done a great job this season, but there are a few teams that have really surprised with their performances relative to their rosters, so I tend to give the nod to those coaches, right or wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad