Seravalli: Wonders if the Leafs will; buy out Brodie

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Is Frank Seravalli literally stupid? In what world is TJ Brodie a buyout candidate LOL. You could easily get good value in a trade for him as a rental. He has 5 bad games and is now a buyout candidate? Did we forget that him and McCabe literally held Tampa's top line to 0 goals at 5v5? Man has been a staple of our blueline and is still very good. I'd almost guarantee he'd get more than 5m for a couple years if he was a UFA right now. Frank Seravalli is a hack.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
that $7.5m in real dollars probably turns his 10 team M-NTC into effectively a 15-20 team list. He may be harder to trade than some think.

Seems unfair that these really rich teams can afford to just buy out players whenever they want. Should raise their taxes. :sarcasm:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why? He's a good player and not the problem. Nor is he overpaid.

I was gonna say- is it possible to buy him out, then re-sign him at a lower price? It’d be absolutely stupid, and wouldn’t work considering he’s actually worth it, but I just wonder if the rules allow that. Like if Nucks don’t want OEL at whatever he makes, but think they could re-sign towards league minimum.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I was gonna say- is it possible to buy him out, then re-sign him at a lower price? It’d be absolutely stupid, and wouldn’t work considering he’s actually worth it, but I just wonder if the rules allow that. Like if Nucks don’t want OEL at whatever he makes, but think they could re-sign towards league minimum.
Michael Stone 2019 offseason.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Learn to evaluate the game bud. Liljegren is a top 4 dman who is young and gets benched in high stakes games but he will be a top pairing guy
Woof. What a terrible take. Who of Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, Kylington, Tanev or Zadorov is he playing ahead of? He plays bottom pairing for a team that trots out geriatric Mark Giordano regularly. Top pairing future and top 4 now? Maybe in Arizona.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Learn to evaluate the game bud. Liljegren is a top 4 dman who is young and gets benched in high stakes games but he will be a top pairing guy

Top pairing D, which Hanifin is, NOW, do not get benched in high stakes games.

If Treliving can package Lilly for Hanifin he should.

Reactions: hamzarocks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Seems to me that this is nothing more than an interesting tidbit of information, that the Leafs COULD buy him out and not have any cap penalty.

The cap is going up a bit this year. The free agent class is woefully thin. He's got a 10-team no-trade list... if the Leafs wanted him gone, there will be a long list of teams lining up to give positive assets for him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie isn't a cap dump or a buy out. He would be traded in a hockey deal at a modest price for something different. If he goes to a bottom feeder he would return a decent amount as a deadline rental.

What I do like is the idea of moving on from him is out there in public.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I would be unbelievably pissed if we moved Lilly for Hanifin..Wow
A considerably better player than lilijgren is a good move

It only sucks if there is no extension

Lilijgren is 2 years younger than hanafin and a bottom pairing D still

Hanafin is a top pairing D.

One player can push us to contenders again next year and it isnt lilijgren

Reactions: banks

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Would make more sense to do this instead

To :hawks
28th overall

To team that is not on Brodie NTC list
D TJ Brodie (50% retained by Hawks)

To :leafs
Asset or assets team acquiring Brodie gives up

Hawks get 1st, Leafs clear $5M in cap and get some asset (Likely pick or picks) and ? team gets top 4 vet RD at $2.5M cap hit

-- I assume Brodie would block trade to Chicago thus the 3rd team --
Kings would be interested. Lots of young players available from LA as well.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He’s dropped from having the best +/- for defenseman on the team every year to, fifth on team in regular season this year, to fifth for playoffs as well.

There has to be an underlying reason for going from every year as best on team, to fifth this last year.
The Leafs had a .924 5v5 save% this year, when Brodie was on the ice it was .908

All the numbers actually point to him having one of the best defensive seasons in hockey

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
old spray n pray Seravalli at it again

D9645CF0E1FD8548852F74C17BA30A5E05E0C646
I’m revealing my age when I say I don’t understand your gif, but I really, really enjoyed it my friend. I laughed pretty damn hard. Keep up the great work

IMG_5031.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bounces R Way

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
on the surface it seems down right stupid.

But he said it's a 0$ cap charge for this year and 2.5 next year, I'm not sure why but sure enough it is in fact a free buyout this year there is no charge.

does anyone know why that is?
I want Brodie traded, but he certainly is not a dump, and most certainly will not have assets added to him. i.e. we dont add a 1st and Brodie, unless we are getting back a HIGHER 1st.

He's still a good defender, the Leafs just need a different type of defender.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Brodie isn't a cap dump or a buy out. He would be traded in a hockey deal at a modest price for something different. If he goes to a bottom feeder he would return a decent amount as a deadline rental.

What I do like is the idea of moving on from him is out there in public.
if Brodie was dealt at the deadline, he'd garner a 1st min. ...if you look at the lesser quality of d-men that returned a 1st at the deadline, Brodie would be well worth it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Ridiculous speculation

He is a good defensive RHD signed for one year at a good AAV.

Why would they buy him out instead of trading him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad