Seravalli: Wonders if the Leafs will; buy out Brodie

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think Lilly is going to be here.

I have thought from the moment it was reported Hanifin was available that he would be Treliving target, seeing as he had him in Calgary and that Lilly would be part of a package.

GM's ALWAYS bring somebody over from their former team.

I think Treliving wants Hanifin.

I could also see Toffoli since there is a hole at LW
I think it's either Hanifin, or Weegar who is moved... I think Weegar is more complimentary to what we need to be honest.

I think the bigger hole might be 2C... if we can find a 2C... we can move Tavares to LW, and then we don't have a LW issue. Let's agree that we need a top six forward...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
On the one hand, Brodie is a very good defensive D-man who helps the team. On the other, buying someone out and not getting a cap hit for it until the next season is a pretty neat novelty, I suppose.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think it's either Hanifin, or Weegar who is moved... I think Weegar is more complimentary to what we need to be honest.

I think the bigger hole might be 2C... if we can find a 2C... we can move Tavares to LW, and then we don't have a LW issue. Let's agree that we need a top six forward...

I fully agree we need a top 6 forward, I wouldn't mind if they got 2, because I don't want to see Knies just thrown into the top 6.

What I'd like to see is Jarnkrok bumped to the 3rd line so you start with Knies and Jarnkrok as your wingers on line 3.

And then when there is an injury, ideally about 20 games in you move Knies up once he's got a little more experience.

Hopefully Knies sticks and if he does you bring injured player back and put him with Jarnkrok on line 3 because now Knies has established himself as a top 6 forward.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
They wouldn't it's stupid.

But saying they have 2 legitimate top 4 D is also wrong.

Jake McCabe is a top 4 D.

He might be a #4 but he's still top 4

2dmk14.jpg

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He’s the best defensive dman on the team and makes every player he plays with better. He might be last on the list of players to worry about for the upcoming season.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Leafs should look to make a trade with a team that looses out on their 1st & 2nd preferred options via UFAs or a team might trade a pick or prospect for Brodie at the draft perhaps...

Since when is Brodie not tradeable? 🤨

Maybe Ron Francis feels like Brodie helps Seattle take the next step as a surprise team last year...

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Him, McCabe and Schenn are the only legit NHLers Toronto has. I don't see this happening now that Dubas has been replaced with a qualified GM.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I would love him on the Oilers. Not sure the leafs can take cap back but if we could work out a deal I think he would help Nurse a lot.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If the Leafs are that desperate to get rid of him, just trade him to Chicago for a pick or something. They have the cap space and need competent D. Why pay him not to play?
He would never accept a trade to Chicago. He wants to be near Chatham Ontario his home town. Trading him to Detroit would be an option.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

I have thought from the moment it was reported Hanifin was available that he would be Treliving target, seeing as he had him in Calgary and that Lilly would be part of a package.

I would be unbelievably pissed if we moved Lilly for Hanifin..Wow

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Definitely see a flames trade coming in. Not sure who it will be and for whom.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Him, McCabe and Schenn are the only legit NHLers Toronto has. I don't see this happening now that Dubas has been replaced with a qualified GM.
I mean, Morgan Rielly has his warts, but unless he retired without me noticing, he's certainly an NHL defenceman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seriously? You'd be pissed if that was all Toronto traded for Hanifin? That's like me saying I'd be pissed if we traded Connor Zary for William Nylander. It's literally the same trade. I mean seriously, there are a lot of smart Leafs fans, but this take is horrific. Liljegren wouldn't even crack our roster as it stands today and Hanifin plays on the top pairing.

Reactions: hamzarocks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

You need to watch more flames games because you would be getting pissed at getting better.

Hanifin is better than Lilly if they can land Hanifin in a package that includes Lilly they need to do that everyday

Reactions: hamzarocks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is incredibly dumb suggestion. He was the Leafs 2b D in atoi....

Even if Treliving wants to dump him, a team will be interested, especially given the slim free agency market

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Makes a lot of sense actually, I could see that as a possibility for sure.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Brodie has lived up to his contract as a top 4D focusing on defence. I would think dumping him or buying him out, might hurt Toronto’s credibility with future UFAs.

It would be quintessentially Toronto to move his contract and waste that money on more offence or a shiny new defenceman likely to regress (Graves?).

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Seriously? You'd be pissed if that was all Toronto traded for Hanifin? That's like me saying I'd be pissed if we traded Connor Zary for William Nylander. It's literally the same trade. I mean seriously, there are a lot of smart Leafs fans, but this take is horrific. Liljegren wouldn't even crack our roster as it stands today and Hanifin plays on the top pairing.

Learn to evaluate the game bud. Liljegren is a top 4 dman who is young and gets benched in high stakes games but he will be a top pairing guy

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad