Wondering about Hainsey?

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Hainsey is the epitome of a thankless player.

Everything flashy about NHL players, he doesn't do. Everything that isn't flashy, he does right. Doesn't make the big hits, doesn't take the huge shots, but blocked more shots than almost anyone else in the league last year, really smart positionally, and vocal about it, which is something his defense partners (Specifically Bogo) have credited him with in terms of improving their play.

I'd wager that most guys on the team make more mistakes than Hainsey does, but people are far more critical of Hainseys mistakes because they can't write them off against a few big hits, and because he was lucky enough to have Atlanta back up the money truck for him a few years ago.

Perception is deceiving in Ron's case (as in most cases). It's easy to think a guy sucks defensively because he's always the last guy back, getting beat right before a goal, but doesn't being the last defenseman back mean he was being defensively responsible or read the play better and was still in a position to at least make an attempt at a defensive play?

Hainsey is unspectacular. Hainsey is also, however, a very solid defensive player, doing a very thankless job.

Whatever he does, I wish him well.

Edit\ I also LOVE the HfJets Hainsey memes. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad