Movies: Wonder Woman:1984 : Xmas day release

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I just finished watching it. It's got the same issue that the first Wonder Woman had. It's a good/great film until the last 30 minutes, at which point it gets so off-the-charts ridiculous that it sours the movie.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Snoresville of a movie

I hope Patty Jenkins has a competent person writing her Star Wars movie because she needs the help after being handed the full reins on this one lol

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Not bad. The last 45 minutes was a bit wild in a bad way though. The first film was much better

I can say that compared to Marvel, DC's CGI is absolutely awful, and they are not that good at tying in their movies together to create their comic universe. Is this supposed to be a part of the DCEU or is it a standalone? I don't know what's going on with the DCEU as they have rebooted/remade so many of their movies lately

Reactions: Jussi

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'd say 6ish/10

So many stupid eye-rolling things about this, felt like a kids Disney film from the late 90s. This feels like a budget Marvel movie at times and I'm not just saying that because of the bad effects whenever she flies. In fact it nearly feels Hallmark-ish. Pedro Pascal's acting was the only good acting I saw here and I couldn't take it seriously because they cast the Mandalorian as the villain. Definetely not gonna take Black Widow for granted after seeing this mess.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that was disappointing. 6½ or 7- /10 . Cut 15-20 minutes and it might improve. Steve's resurrection was very problematic. Some CGI did not work. The villains were handled poorly. Pedro Pascal was really cheesy, if not cringey, at first but better towards the end. Curious choice with his ending. Barbara, Cheetah was handled well at the beginning but towards the end. Mid-credits scene was nice. The opening scene at Themyscira was the best and that's not good for the rest of the movie.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well that was disappointing. 6½ or 7- /10 . Cut 15-20 minutes and it might improve. Steve's resurrection was very problematic. Some CGI did not work. The villains were handled poorly. Pedro Pascal was really cheesy, if not cringey, at first but better towards the end. Curious choice with his ending. Barbara, Cheetah was handled well at the beginning but towards the end. Mid-credits scene was nice. The opening scene at Themyscira was the best and that's not good for the rest of the movie.

To make matters worse, the Themyscira scene was completely irrelevant to the rest of the movie. It literally could have been cut from the film and nothing would have changed. Which means it was only put in the movie to show in the trailer and attempt to draw audiences in for false expectations.

Much like how the title was WW1984, but the only reason it was titled that was an attempt to play off the 80's vibe of Thor: Ragnarok, since the 80s had very little presence in the movie. There was some 80s sounding music at the party, and a hamfisted dress up montage of 80s clothing, but outside of that...?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think WB knows what they are doing with the DCEU. It's sad because they have a lot of great characters and actors

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To make matters worse, the Themyscira scene was completely irrelevant to the rest of the movie. It literally could have been cut from the film and nothing would have changed. Which means it was only put in the movie to show in the trailer and attempt to draw audiences in for false expectations.

Much like how the title was WW1984, but the only reason it was titled that was an attempt to play off the 80's vibe of Thor: Ragnarok, since the 80s had very little presence in the movie. There was some 80s sounding music at the party, and a hamfisted dress up montage of 80s clothing, but outside of that...?

Well it sort of tied into the importance of truth but not in a way that made it seem influential.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think WB knows what they are doing with the DCEU. It's sad because they have a lot of great characters and actors

They arguably have far more complex and interesting characters than Marvel and yet, they can't seem to properly launch any of their character movies into a larger universe (The DCEU).

The only movies in the DC 'verse' that have been competently produced and well executed have been Shazam, Aquaman, and the first Wonder Woman. Everything else has been meh or worthy only of a place in the bottom of a toilet bowl.

And the solution to fix this is easy enough. Get a guy or a small cohort that plan and run the show. Make sure the people running the shows know the characters, are apart of the fanbase, and are competent film producers. This formula is what made the marvel movies so successful, and now the new SW universe (Disney finally understood the potential of Filoni and are now reaping the benefits)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well it sort of tied into the importance of truth but not in a way that made it seem influential.

And that lesson really didn't come into play. They kind of mentioned the importance of truth throughout the movie, and something about how her lasso is powered by truth, but did truth really "save the world" in this case?

I guess maybe you could stretch it as "her dead boyfriend is really dead" and maybe she needed to accept that as the truth to justify the lesson? Except she had already accepted that as the truth before this whole wish thing happened.

Maybe it would have been better to portray the lesson as "You can't lie to yourself", because at least then it could also apply to the main villains?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As a fan of DC I've been forced to admit that many of the characters (in particular the villains) aren't all that interesting on their own.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The scene where she saves those 4 kids....

Give me a f***ing break...knowing Gadot’s history

Care to enlighten me?

As for the movie, definitely not as good as the original as there was no "No Mans Land" scene. I didn't read WW comics as a kid so I have no idea who they were. 5.5-6/10 stars.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Movie was just a mess really. It's tough to get invested when the stakes aren't clear, and it was very nebulous why a lot of things happened. Not to say the movie was confusing, it was always clear what was happening, just not why.

The biggest example was the resolution of the film. When the entire world calls backsies on their wishes all at once (eyeroll) i can see why that would stop the American missiles that got wished, but the Russians were going to retaliate before the worldwide wishing, so those should just be real nukes. Also, most of the monkey's paw curses happen immediately, but the ones for WW and cheetah happen gradually as the film goes. Obviously the answer to both of those complaints is "well that's just how movies work", but the seems of the movie shouldn't be so glaringly obvious. Like, why can she turn the plane invisible? Because she has an invisible plane in the comics and she wants the plane to be invisible now.

I'm not really a fan of a wishbased villain, but if they had a more clever angle on the monkey's paw part it could have worked. The cost should always be directly related to the wish. That Pedro pascal could take any price he wanted AND interpret the wish however he wanted made to way to easy for him, and makes it kind of baffling how he lost. Cheetah only "lost her humanity" because they needed her to be a bad guy. It also made her renouncing her wish at the end make zero sense. I guess you could say they were doing a thing like "what if there was a wonder woman without the humanity" to show why WW herself is the one to have all that power, but the monekys paw would be completely undercutting the point. If it isn't the power corrupting her then why did WW need to learn that lesson at the start? She has the power without the monkey's paw curse, so she would be fine.

Its also funny to think about this movie in the context of the DCEU. This global near-cataclysmic event just never got mentioned or left any noticeable impact on the world I guess.

Didn't mean to ramble on, this movie wasn't offensive or anything and its still better than batman v superman or justice league, it was just too messy for me to enjoy. I would never hold it against anyone who enjoyed it though. If you loved it then keep on loving it.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I like having HBO max as part of my Amazon Prime add on package for sure especially to check out a movie I wouldn’t have spent money on otherwise

but yeah, bloated describes it perfectly. What a panderfest

Last edited:
Reactions: HugoSimon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad