Movies: Wonder Woman:1984 : Xmas day release

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
After the first Wonder Woman movie I thought using flashpoint to reset everything would be stupid because DC had found a lead star/franchise in Gal Gadot finally. But WW84 was really really bad.....I can’t figure out if they were trying to make the fight scenes or the scenes of her flying so fake/80s on purpose or not. And the entire thing of the entire world renouncing their wish....yea that’s not happening. She should have killed maxwell lord (and they should never had his kid in it) to reverse the spells.

so now I’m of the mind that they use flashpoint to blow everything up and restart....I really wanted to like this movie after the first cause I thought the first was better than captain marvel....but sigh

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like having HBO max as part of my Amazon Prime add on package for sure especially to check out a movie I wouldn’t have spent money on otherwise

but yeah, bloated describes it perfectly. What a panderfest

How does that work? I have prime but signed up for HBO Max just to watch this movie. There's no way that I'm paying $15/month for this service long term.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

$16.7 million opening weekend. No meaningful specifics on streaming views. They did announce fast tracking of WW3 with Jenkins directing.

This still will be a money loser for WB, but, the biggest question is if it helped drive up subscribers at all that stick around.

As for the weekend itself, given how many theatres are closed right now, it's actually not a bad number given the circumstances.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
What a let down of a movie. The writing was so bad, almost Batman and Robin level writing, super cartoony; the biggest issues being these plot devices that come out of nowhere, have no logic or practicality, and the obvious breaking of rules the movie presents.

Examples being
-the invisible jet; came out of nowhere, no setup, no buildup. It just happens and it's gone; never to be used or seen ever again.
-The satellites that shoots particles which Maxwell Lord akins it to "touching people"; it's not, it's f***ing particles. And it was also conveniently there literally when the plot called for it, no setup or build up, such terrible writing.
-And also, it looked like he was giving wishes before he stepped in the beam, which disobeys previous rule of having to actually touch a person before granting their wish.
-Also, Maxwell Lord and the writing on the stone relic establishes that they stone can only grant 1 wish per person, and then Max gives Minerva another wish, breaking that rule, simply to have her become Cheetah. And there's no transformation, so there's no buildup to her fighting wonder woman, no transformation scene.
-Travelling on a fighter jet they stole across the pacific ocean without refuelling.
-Having a WW1 pilot flying a modern jet like it was no problem. That's like bringing back Alexander Graham Bell and expecting to know how to use a smart phone off the bat.
-The gold armour was utterly useless and pointless. The only reason it's in the movie is to sell toys, clearly, because it serves no purpose.

Other problems.
-That cartoony intro at the beginning in the mall is now one of the least favourite modern DC action scenes. It pushed that tone to Batman and Robin levels. The acting was so goofy and over the top that I actually laughed out loud at how bad it was.
- The terrible trope of Barbara's character being this awkward, geeky character that nobody is attractive to or respects, but when she takes her glasses off and puts on a dress, suddenly she's amazing. It's bad, it was never good in Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Electro), Batman Forever(Riddler), Iron Man 3(Guy Pearce's character), Batman Returns (Catwoman), Catwoman (Halee Berry), etc. Using this trope was utterly lazy and bad choice by the writers/Jenkins.

I'll be fair and say there were some good.
-Gal Gadot, while inconsistent, has become a much better actress. And she kinded reminded of Natalie Portman with some of her facial expressions. lol
-Pedro Pascal was great and Chris Pine is always very good.
-Decent cinematography, and production; which is obviously expected when you put money into something like this.

Overall, this was such a massive let down. That trailer promised an amazing film. If you haven't watched this film, just watch the Blue Monday trailer and just be happy with that.

5/10

Reactions: Ahmedount and Vaheh

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
As a fan of DC I've been forced to admit that many of the characters (in particular the villains) aren't all that interesting on their own.

How though? DC has great characters. The problem is the people in charge of these films, be it executives, directors or even writers, don't understand how to adapt these characters. Look at the DC animated films, a good amount of them are amazing. The Wonder Woman animated film is great and far better than 84. So many animated Justice League movies knocks any DCU films out of the water. The characters are great, the film creators have to do a better job.

And also making one of the most powerful and justice league threat villain, Maxwell Lord, into a wish granting plot device is just another example of how these creators don't know how to adapt them. Maybe they'll bring him back again and use him better than this film did, maybe the stone effected him indirectly.

There's so many comic runs that are prime for film adaptations. This is what Marvel does better, which they're getting away from atm because MCU is diverging into it's own thing, but they respect their source material. And that's why Wonder Woman 1 was successful too, and why this one failed.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm two hours into this and just want it to end. It's too long, too boring and too dumb. The plot is almost The Rise of Skywalker bad.

I didn't like the first movie, but I found it watchable because it was set during WWI. I love the 80s, so I was similarly interested in this one. Even the 80s couldn't save this.

Edit: The mid-credits scene was my favorite part of the whole movie (which says a lot).

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There's so many things that don't make sense in this one, from a continuity and common sense aspect:

Why doesn't Diana fly in Bvs or JL?

How come no one recalls stories of a mystery woman doing superhero things in LA in the 80's?

Why does the Smithsonian have a fully operational land fueled up fighter jet? How can pilot from 1917 fly one?

How come no one wished for world peace?

If it was possible to erect walls from nothing in Egypt, nuclear missiles to vanish then how come Steve Trevor's body couldn't be created but had to be Quantum Leap'd?

Why was Barbara Minerva's development basically that of Selina Kyle's in Batman Returns?

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Ugh...Another one of the hate channels that have weird issues with women and POC. Yet is a Trek fan for some reason...
Seriously you people exist on hfboards?

You understand that DS9 is considered top shelf star trek by us "haters"?

Casting minorities in leading roles isn't a new thing. Imagine a GM rambling day in and day out on how he discovered the "russian system". This is literally happening with this crap. You have people who've never heard of the red wings, calling us racist because we don't think your discovery of mother russia is clever.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This was such a mess. About halfway through the opening sequence of little Diana and their weird Amazon olympic decathalon thing I started thinking "this is way longer than it needs to be. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come."

And then it was. The whole movie suffered from seeming like a whole lot of potentially fun ideas welded together with no care for coherence or pacing or sensible progression. And then it was spackled over with plot holes and questionable story decisions. Which is a shame because in theory I like all of the people in it. I just hate what they created.

I also kind of want to make a probably tired joke about how the magical wish mcguffin is the perfect metaphor for what happened with the franchise. People saw the first Wonder Woman movie in the wake of the poorer reception for Batman vs Superman and thought "this was good. I wish we could have more Wonder Woman movies."

The wish was granted, but all it cost was sucking the quality out of the franchise.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and Kurtz

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
It's the other stuff YOU PEOPLE focus on that is contradictory with being a fan of Star Trek.

Lol, I'm not gonna argue with you, you win. You can have tv shows and film. The entire form of entertainment has been "hijacked" by "weak" nerds. DS9 is leagues better than anything produced by modern trek/star wars/etc.

You can't write fiction when you are in denial about how reality actually operates. "weak" nerds are trying to dominate society and it ain't gonna work.

After the second season of the boys it'll be a long time before I'll be given my money away to another hollywood based product.

I'll be giving my money to the NHL. I'm sure I got 5-10 years before the "weak" nerds try to ruin that and at that point I guess I'll start following the KHL.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
The first one was arguably the best superhero film ever, IMO. Such a masterpiece.

This one? God awful. A complete mess. So disappointed
WW was a success exactly because no one took it that seriously. The same thing happened with Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool.

Once the sequel came along what made it great was missing. Film and television has been ruined. There's no going back. In the past there use to be an understanding between the creative types and the corporate types. Now the two hate each other and are passively aggressively destroying the art form.

Creative types cannot think logically, corporate types can't understand art. There are rare exceptions and they are literally geniuses for their ability to do both(Denis Villeneuve a great example)

But we now live in a time when corporate types are making all the creative decisions, which has just turned everything into a prepackaged mess. In turn creatives are given free reign to malware in their cartoonish ideas of how the world works.

It's not gonna end until foreign film just starts trashing American made content. Netflix's Narcos being the only show of the last few years being worth sweet fluff all, and it's exactly because the corporatist/artists couldn't throw in their nonsense.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The silly thing is that the whole "wish" storyline was obviously thought up to explain bringing Chris Pine's character back (which was a bad idea to begin with)... and then nothing was done with him. He was just there to tag along behind Diana until she decided that she didn't want him anymore.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The silly thing is that the whole "wish" storyline was obviously thought up to explain bringing Chris Pine's character back (which was a bad idea to begin with)... and then nothing was done with him. He was just there to tag along behind Diana until she decided that she didn't want him anymore.

I didn't even necessarily hate him being back. The idea of the monkey's paw and her getting her wish in the form of Steve at the cost of her powers and having him be the one to really need to force her to face the reality of having to let him go and live her life was fine. it was just that for something that should've been emotionally supercharged the whole way it ended up being drastically underplayed. To really sell the feeling of watching her get her heart ripped out by having to let him got we needed to see her bursting with joy at having him back. Instead we got a jokey dress-up montage and a few muted smiles as he marveled at the modern world and history he missed. So what should've been a heart-rending turning point in the movie was sold as something like "well, that kinda sucks."

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Really wanted to like this a lot but I just couldn't get myself too. Glad they found a way to get Chris Pine's character to appear again but I just wasn't too interested throughout the film and the action scenes were probably the most underwhelming parts. Still glad they're gonna make a 3rd one though, I think they'll bounce back.

7/10 for me. Loved the first one and it was definitely better than this one.

Also, not a single 80s song in the entire movie wtf?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's the other stuff YOU PEOPLE focus on that is contradictory with being a fan of Star Trek.

When something appears contradictory, that's often a hint that your understanding is flawed. You seem determined to believe that people are sexist and/or racist despite being Star Trek fans when your own logic suggests that being Star Trek fans likely means that they're not sexist or racist and that you just don't understand their complaints. The latter is the simpler, more logical explanation.

I didn't even necessarily hate him being back. The idea of the monkey's paw and her getting her wish in the form of Steve at the cost of her powers and having him be the one to really need to force her to face the reality of having to let him go and live her life was fine. it was just that for something that should've been emotionally supercharged the whole way it ended up being drastically underplayed. To really sell the feeling of watching her get her heart ripped out by having to let him got we needed to see her bursting with joy at having him back. Instead we got a jokey dress-up montage and a few muted smiles as he marveled at the modern world and history he missed. So what should've been a heart-rending turning point in the movie was sold as something like "well, that kinda sucks."

That's what I was getting at. The writers crafted the "wish" storyline primarily to bring him back and then did nothing meaningful with him.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
When something appears contradictory, that's often a hint that your understanding is flawed. You seem determined to believe that people are sexist and/or racist despite being Star Trek fans when your own logic suggests that being Star Trek fans likely means that they're not sexist or racist and that you just don't understand their complaints. The latter is the simpler, more logical explanation.

It's not a question of belief, it's called having an eyesight. Just look at what other videos Nerdrotic has on his channels, plus other hate of Fandom Menace channels like Geeks+Gamers, Yellowflash 2 etc.

Not saying Nerdrotic is obsessed with complaining about "woke" but...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woke+nerdrotic

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I still can't get over the decision to have him "take over" another person's life. If you're going to have the wishing power do... literally everything else it does in the movie...the idea that it can have him just "pop" back into existence isn't too far fetched. Which means it was an intentional decision while writing this script to have him take over this other dude's life for a while.

But then the question becomes why? For the snow scene at the end of the movie? That hardly seems worth it. And choosing to have him take over this guy's life raises weird complications about consent, especially when Diana slept with her dead boyfriend in this guy's body.

Just so many weird, ridiculous parts of this film.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not a question of belief, it's called having an eyesight. Just look at what other videos Nerdrotic has on his channels, plus other hate of Fandom Menace channels like Geeks+Gamers, Yellowflash 2 etc.

Not saying Nerdrotic is obsessed with complaining about "woke" but...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woke+nerdrotic

It is a question of belief when you suggest that complaining about "woke" culture amounts to sexism/racism and that it doesn't make sense to be a Trek fan if you're not a liberal. Those are your beliefs and you seem more concerned with sticking to them than in learning and understanding what other people's beliefs are and why they like and dislike what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: holy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad