WC: Women's World Championships in Finland

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
18 times have USA faced Canada in the final. Now Finland made it finally!

One of the greatest moments in Finnish hockey history. Greatest moment in Finnish women's hockey.

Finally

I'm sick and tired of watching the Canada and the USA in the finals. I've tuned out !!!

And I'm a Canadian fan !!!

Happy for Finland

This sport has progressed extremely slowly in other countries

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Denmark going up with Hungary (thanks for beating Austria to make it possible).
Sweden going down.
So Danish Women's hockey is a division up on Sweden :D - and that is without "our" best player Michelle Karvinen (who plays for Finland).
A big congratulations to her for finally reaching the final after 6 bronze medals in WC and OC with Finland. (also to the rest of the Finnish team for this historical achievement).

Last edited:
Reactions: PlusMinusZero

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Just going to get worse for womens hockey in Canada.
With the demise of the CWHL, lack of college scholarships in Canadian universities and more American women playing and getting scholarships in the NCAA (taking the places Canadian players would have)

And Hockey Canada not giving a flying **** too.

Hockey is beginning to die in this country. We are seeing it first with womens hockey. Fact is new immigrants are not putting their children in sports. One of my old high schools in Vancouver has recently scrapped their football and volleyball programs after 62 years due to low enrollment. That's football and volleyball! Now factor the costs of hockey equip and it becomes clear why many of them do not bother pursuing it. Local colleges here have done away with their sports programs as well.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Can't believe Denmark of all countries now have both men and women in the best division. I mean, we hit a record high 5000 registred hockey players nation wide this year, its truly astonishing what the people working with hockey in this country has managed.

Too bad the U-18 men was moved to the B-Division but I have strong belief they will return in a year or two.

Reactions: jalperi

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
Good job Finland, I didnt watch it, but its good to see another country vie for the title. Womens hockey needs this, as the two team finals were boring and predictable. To the point where I would have eliminated the game from the olympics. Now with a Finland showing they can compete, maybe there can be a case(albeit a small one) for the game to remain in the olympic games.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Can't believe Denmark of all countries now have both men and women in the best division. I mean, we hit a record high 5000 registred hockey players nation wide this year, its truly astonishing what the people working with hockey in this country has managed.

Too bad the U-18 men was moved to the B-Division but I have strong belief they will return in a year or two.
Dont worry, Jokerit will train your best players into beasts, like Jensen and Lauridsen.

Reactions: Husqvarna

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
What a Team with capital T, we have again. Before the tournament i though that this is going to be a best chance to reach the finals, experience, youth, talent, motivation and drive this team has is awesome. And the home rink advantage. Finnish people ain't sports maniacs, but we are obsessed success. And sunday the whole nation has a cahnce to go nuts again.

btw. Noora Räty best in the world. And cute too.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Fantastic! Maybe Gold for Suomi tomorrow.

We are heavy underdogs. We have one line of players which can be compared to any line in womens hockey and a world class goalie. But the depth isn´t there quite yet. Last night 3. and 4. line had one shot on goal and lost faceoffs 3-10. It will be difficult game. But I hope they can stay disciplined and stick to tight defence. In one game who knows.

Hoping for veterans like Hovi, Välimäki and Rajahuhta stepping up in the final.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
We survived the first period... 0-0.

Yep. Survived is the right word. Few panic mode situations and too much trouble to get the puck out of own zone. If you look positive it was good battle infront of goal. Rarely they lost their players.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Great period. After the USA goal no signs of panic or giving up. Not easy game to prepare after making history last night, but they seem to really fight for the gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad