WC: Women's World Championships in Finland

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The German goalie Jennifer Harss, who stopped 40 of 41 shots against Sweden seems to have another great game against Japan right now.
After facing and stopping only 7 shots in the first period, Japan outshot Germany 22-2 in the second period, but Germany still holds on to a 1-0 lead.
I wonder how long Harss and the defense can hold.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
The US/CAN rivalry is so fun. They're always s close games and usually well played. Today... SO many penalties that were iffy at best. Neither team had a flow to their O. Still soooo fun for me to watch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ah ok thanks

She said on Finnish tv just a moment ago that she returned to playing two weeks ago after getting a knee injury in January but the coaching staff decided not to pick her this time. IIRC, the feeling was she wasn't at her best playing form so it was better to pick players who were.

Last edited:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
USA defeating Canada means that we can still get second place in group if we beat Canada.

The current system just doesn't give too much advantage by doing that, basically it would still be Canada in the semi-finals. Would only change the QF opponent.

Back when there was two "equal" groups winning Canada could have made USA and Canada meeting in semifinals.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Wow Sweden. Who would have believed that Sweden would get demoted to 1st division?

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Wow Sweden. Who would have believed that Sweden would get demoted to 1st division?

I would. Swedish womens hockey really sucks now. They just keep on whining about everything being so unfair instead of focusing on getting better. Everything was the white male Leif Boorks fault you know. Really glad to see them relegated!

Reactions: Exarz and Vesperia

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I know. :amazed: Considering how much effort they put into women's hockey on club level compared to Finland and the Finnish players playing there praise the league. I guess something is not done right on player development level.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Never could have seen this coming, the only team that has stolen a silver medal from USA/Canada

though they have regressed a lot, 7th in last Olympics

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
If Sweden gets the 2026 OG I hope Sweden could get back on track 'til then. Right now its pretty much a "meh" feeling about this fiasco for me personally, as Im not that much into female hockey. But its for sure important anyway to turn it around in the long run.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
A friend of mine was on the team that won silver in Torino. She retired from hockey when she was 21 or 22. That's been a big problem for Swedish womens hockey, especially during the Leif Boork era. Many players look for something else to do after they've done a WC or two, they start studying/working instead.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I've been watching this a bit the past few days. To be honest, the quality of play... Well, the skill level of the players is actually fine I guess, but it's unbelievable how many boneheaded / terrible decisions national team players can make with the puck. ...It really makes me wonder whether something is wrong with Finnish women's hockey development, it's just unbelievable how this sort of decision making could be allowed to exist without the coaches taking control of the situation. This was seen especially in the defensive zone. At least Finland didn't embarrass itself like Sweden did but still, a long way to go. Hoping for a bronze.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->