WC: Women's World Championships in Finland

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Just curious, any thoughts on how the final ranking is going to work? The IIHF has put the same rules in that the men use, which does not make much sense with tiered groups and an unequal number of teams from each group making the quarters.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Riikka Sallinen was there at the first World Championship in 1990 as a 16 year old, scoring 8+2 in 5 games and winning bronze. 29 years later, she's there again, winning more than bronze for the first time. GOAT :bow: :clap:

And like I said before, Jenni Hiirikoski is the best defensewoman in the world. 2+8 in the tournament.

Reactions: Jyssy and FinPanda

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finally. Finland is finally getting there, they have always been the third best program. Hopefully they win the gold because they deserve it

Reactions: PlusMinusZero

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The arena was sold out for tomorrow's final towards the end of the game. Probably could have sold out Hartwall Arena as well.

I hope this is a similar moment as Calgary -88 (first ever medal) and Prague -92 (first ever WC medal and final) for the men's teams. The mental barrier had been broken for them, I hope this was that moment for the women.

Last edited:

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It's better Canada lost now then to lose another final to the US. At least, how I see it. I don't understand how a powerhouse country turned to just above average.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Remember watching the last home games in Hämeenlinna. Back then it felt that Canada and USA was running away. Gap felt bigger than ever. Current team and managment has done something right. Great work.

Maybe the teams offense rely too much on one line, but others put up a good fight. Hopefully they can stay focused and put up good fight tomorrow too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, this is essentially miracle on ice for women's hockey. Finland should have had no chance of winning. Going into it, I thought Finland would lose like 9-0.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Congratulations to the Finnish team! Great accomplishment and I hope they somehow manage to pull off a second miracle vs USA (though I suspect it'll end like it did for Sweden in 2006).

Canada's women's team sure isn't what it used to be. They haven't won anything since the 2014 Four-Nations Cup, which means EIGHT straight finals losses to the USA at the 4N, Worlds and Olympics, plus now a SF loss to Finland.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
If this doesn't convince Hockey Canada that there is a problem, I dont know what will.

No excuse to lose to the Finns in womens hockey. We haven't won a major tournament in over a year.

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN, HOCKEY CANADA GODDAMNIT!!!

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If this doesn't convince Hockey Canada that there is a problem, I dont know what will.

No excuse to lose to the Finns in womens hockey. We haven't won a major tournament in over a year.

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN, HOCKEY CANADA GODDAMNIT!!!
It has been a lot longer then a year. Canadian women have just taken a major step back. Is what it is.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Just going to get worse for womens hockey in Canada.
With the demise of the CWHL, lack of college scholarships in Canadian universities and more American women playing and getting scholarships in the NCAA (taking the places Canadian players would have)

And Hockey Canada not giving a flying f*** too.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
It has been a lot longer then a year. Canadian women have just taken a major step back. Is what it is.

I mean in any major tourney, mens or womens. 2018 WJC was the last gold for us. Countless major tournaments have come and gone and not even a silver to show for it.

I dont think anyone can disagree with me when I say HC needs to hold another open ice summit. And ditch this "But it's good for the game!" attitude. Let's have a little more pride and keep trying to be the best like we used to be FFS.

Reactions: Juve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad