GDT: Women's | Semifinals | Canada vs Russia| 7:10 AM

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You mean the reason it's still at the Olympics is reverse sexism. You think "modern" countries like Sweden and Finland don't fund women sport?The women there just don't like it they play other sport like soccer...

How about women soccer then? Do you follow? There's a lot of funding there.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That being said I will watch the final and hope for a good game, but I wouldn't be surprise if the game finishes like 4-0 4-1...

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
The reason why no one cares about women's hockey is sexist in itself. which leads to no funding going into women's hockey since no one watches it

Just because it's women doesn't automatically make it sexist. It's simple supply and demand. There's no demand for women's hockey because it's noncompetitive. No demand=no funding. And don't compare it to other women's sports. Hockey is one of the most expensive sports in the world. The money Canada & the US spends for one quasi-meaningful game every 4 years would go much further in sports like basketball and soccer.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
You mean the reason it's still at the Olympics is reverse sexism. You think "modern" countries like Sweden and Finland don't fund women sport?The women there just don't like it they play other sport like soccer...

How about women soccer then? Do you follow? There's a lot of funding there.

Given that Sweden lost to Japan (almost twice this Olympics), Switzerland nearly lost the first game against Japan...and all the best Europeans play in American colleges..I'd say yeah they don't receive proper funding.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Or maybe their best athletes don't like hockey they prefer soccer ski and other sports...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
One funny thing is the format for the weaker teams get this Sweden played : Japan Korea Swiss Finland Japan Korea Swiss is this a U11 recreational little town tournament?

So Sweden didn't play Canada Usa Russia!!!!!!!!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Just because it's women doesn't automatically make it sexist. It's simple supply and demand. There's no demand for women's hockey because it's noncompetitive. No demand=no funding. And don't compare it to other women's sports. Hockey is one of the most expensive sports in the world. The money Canada & the US spends for one quasi-meaningful game every 4 years would go much further in sports like basketball and soccer.

Title IX is a great example of this. This law allowed equal opportunities for boys and girls in highschool sports. Otherwise, I truly do think boys sports would far outweight the funding and amount of available sports for girls to play in secondary. I think this law shows society in itself puts far more value in mens sports just because they're men. As evident due to the amount of funding hockey, soccer, basketball are provided for the mens.

And yes I understand the supply and demand. However simple economics doesn't explain why the demand and supply are occurring, though.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How did Sweden crash the party in 2006?

Outside of that in Torino, it’s basically almost impossible to envision US or Canada having to settle for a bronze when it comes to Olympic Hockey.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You are wrong in the most part. The reason the people on power fund men's sports more is because men sports generate a ton of money.

Figure skating and tennis are two sport where the women also generate a ton of money so women get great funding in tennis and figure skating in most countries. It's a basic economic thing for the most part.

They don't have good funding in the sports where they generate next to zero money like hockey. That's how the world works for the most part. It's not sexism at all, at least not in most countries.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I don't get why the inclusion of women's hockey among Olympic events appears to be such an annoyance for some. Don't watch it then, it's that simple.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's the hypocrisy behind it the problem. It's called reverse sexism. I'll watch the final probably, the only game worth watching once again.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Tell me you are in Finland what is the main problem? The girls just don't like hockey in general and play other sports or is there a real lack of funding for women's hockey?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Tell me you are in Finland what is the main problem? The girls just don't like hockey in general and play other sports or is there a real lack of funding for women's hockey?
If the issue with women's hockey is the insufficient funding, stripping the sport from its Olympic status certainly wouldn't help. The participation numbers are low though, it's very much a men's sport.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
You are wrong in the most part. The reason the people on power fund men's sports more is because men sports generate a ton of money.

Figure skating and tennis are two sport where the women also generate a ton of money so women get great funding in tennis and figure skating in most countries. It's a basic economic thing for the most part.

They don't have good funding in the sports where they generate next to zero money like hockey. That's how the world works for the most part. It's not sexism at all, at least not in most countries.

College Sports teams in the States men have been getting 190 million dollars more in scholarships than womens. There's so many facts showing the disparity of the two.

You can argue economics, which has truth to it. Men will have more funding because more people watch them play.

But to say "yup that's the REAL reason why this is happening" is naive and frankly ignorant of the world around you. It's like saying a Boston Cream Donut is chocolate because the fondant is chocolate while ignoring that the inside is cream. Only looking from it from the outer parts and not the underlying factor.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
But the women get funding in the sports where people pay to see them. I'm not telling you it's correct and that I agree with this I'm just saying that's how the world works...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If the issue with women's hockey is the insufficient funding, stripping the sport from its Olympic status certainly wouldn't help. The participation numbers are low though, it's very much a men's sport.
But does being at the Olympics actually help? Maybe girls-women just don't like hockey that much.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
And why does Sweden for instance don't play the good teams at the Olympics, how stupid is that and how much hypocrisy is behind this...

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
But does being at the Olympics actually help? Maybe girls-women just don't like hockey that much.
Having the chance to compete at Olympics is bound to have an appeal. Plus, China is heavily investing in women's hockey right now, all because they won the Olympic bid.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
i remember 10 years ago, everyone thought that the gap between can/usa vs world would decrease but it seems it's still the same or even wider. It's just unwatchable. Goalies are probably east coast caliber facing pee-wee shots. Even the passing is deficient resulting in a low number of scoring chances. Olympics rink probably dont help too.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The past Olympics people were tired of seeing the 10-0 games so what they do now is the weaker teams don't even play the good teams. So Sweden this tournament will play 7 games and none vs. Canada Usa Finland. So what about the old saying : you only can get better by playing better teams than you?

You want to know why they changed the format, because it was so obvious that no other country could compete that even in Canada people wanted it out of the Olympics. It's all hypocrisy.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
And why does Sweden for instance don't play the good teams at the Olympics, how stupid is that and how much hypocrisy is behind this...

Because their world ranking was 5th which puts them outside the top 4 rankings of USA, Canada, Finland, Russia. The brackets are so they don't have massive blowouts and give a chance of those countries to get wins and grow the sport in their country...which should be obvious when both teams from group A (Finland/Russia) smoked the two teams from group B (Sweden/Switzerland).

Switzerland and Japan got in by beating everyone else in a qualification tournament which is why there was no Germany this Olympics, Korea got in as a host nation and were obviously going to be trashed by everyone given their world ranking.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
And to be honest I'm not impressed by the level of Canada and USA. You can see they on average skate without the puck better than before and can shoot somewhat harder and most precisely BUT there's just no collective play, no combination play no great passes no great stickhandling, there's even some dump and chase and trap going on, you'd think they could develop an attractive playing style but no.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
i remember 10 years ago, everyone thought that the gap between can/usa vs world would decrease but it seems it's still the same or even wider. It's just unwatchable. Goalies are probably east coast caliber facing pee-wee shots. Even the passing is deficient resulting in a low number of scoring chances. Olympics rink probably dont help too.

It will take much longer to grow a team sport since depth matters so much. Finland has 3 of the better players but their depth isn't the greatest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad