GDT: Women's | Semifinals | Canada vs Russia| 7:10 AM

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Women hockey is one big joke at the Olympics. Absolutely no place there. It's obvious only two countries play the sport "seriously". And what with the incredible ridiculous format. Is this a joke or what?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Women hockey is one big joke at the Olympics. Absolutely no place there. It's obvious only two countries play the sport "seriously". And what with the incredible ridiculous format. Is this a joke or what?

You're right. They should remove long track too because Netherlands always win everything. Remove cross country skiing too because Norway has the most medals out of any country in Winter Olympic history (11 medals already this Olympics from cross country skiing). Should've removed short track a long time ago because I think Korea always won that.

Just a bunch of shit countries at womens hockey being sour grapes.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The big difference is that those sports are very popular and played at a very high level in a lot of countries. Just look at the podiums and just watch the events. Women hockey is simply a joke, only two countries play the sport. That would be like having American Football at the Summer Olympics with 8 teams.

What is clear is that those countries Sweden especially are getting worse while Finland never could compete. Russia probably has 100 registered women players and the rest they are playing at pee-wee levels. The rest of the winter countries just don't care for women hockey.

Canada-USA should play some kind of Summit Series every two year and that's it. Just look at the format you will understand what I mean.

Sweden won two gold in cross country and Switzerland one.
Canada and Italy won 2 out of 4 Gold in short track.
Norway Canada Japan each have a Gold in speed skating so far.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You're right. They should remove long track too because Netherlands always win everything. Remove cross country skiing too because Norway has the most medals out of any country in Winter Olympic history (11 medals already this Olympics from cross country skiing). Should've removed short track a long time ago because I think Korea always won that.

Just a bunch of **** countries at womens hockey being sour grapes.

I'm Canadian and it's getting tiresome. Outside of that one upset mentioned earlier with Sweden, it's yawn-inducing. Canada and USA are miles ahead of the field.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I'm Canadian also and I feel ashamed. What's the glory in beating on such weak teams?And notice how the games always finish like 5-0 6-0 4-0 7-1 6-1 4-1 never something like 9-4 or 6-3 the other teams just can't shoot let alone score goals. Even the weaker teams between them it's the same crap 5-1 4-0 6-0 ...

Like I said it's the same has having American Football in the Summer games...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The big difference is that those sports are very popular and played at a very high level in a lot of countries. Just look at the podiums and just watch the events. Women hockey is simply a joke, only two countries play the sport. That would be like having American Football at the Summer Olympics with 8 teams.

What is clear is that those countries Sweden especially are getting worse while Finland never could compete. Russia probably has 100 registered women players and the rest they are playing at pee-wee levels. The rest of the winter countries just don't care for women hockey.

Canada-USA should play some kind of Summit Series every two year and that's it. Just look at the format you will understand what I mean.

yeah people of all ages are clamoring to participate in both short track and long track speed skating in north america. It's become like a meat market, people just standing around watching each other skate round and round on every of every city in north america. I think its because there are more crashes than nascar ( daytona excluded). is that a tim hortons on the corner ? No its and iced oval.

Guess what ? Norwegians will always be up there for nordic skiing events, the USA will likely always be there in " big air" or half pipe, and when it comes to canada and the us the ladies will meet each other in the gold medal game ( although the russian ladies did better than I thought they would have at least till halfway in the second).

Oh and the russian ladies in figure skating will always do well on the long and short programs. The IOC did contemplate killing women's hockey but didnt. now that the delta is smaller ( although still there) you want to mothball the whole thing?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Russian Ladies In Skating? 2010 Korea won 2006 Japan 2002 USA

All those sports are very competitve. Women hockey is still there because of "political correctness" crap and because USA and Canada which are big shots for winter games want the easy gold and silver medals. Just one look at the tournament format will tell you how idiotic it is.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'm Canadian also and I feel ashamed. What's the glory in beating on such weak teams?And notice how the games always finish like 5-0 6-0 4-0 7-1 6-1 4-1 never something like 9-4 or 6-3 the other teams just can't shoot let alone score goals. Even the weaker teams between them it's the same crap 5-1 4-0 6-0 ...

Like I said it's the same has having American Football in the Summer games...

Wouldn't be much different than mens basketball. Has USA ever lost since NBA players went? Can't grow a sport if you shitcan it.

I'd feel terrible for Japan as they've been making good strides in improving each Olympics. They eventually won the gold in Softball as well and then that got canned too. Every country has their dominant sport(s) at the games.

Add to the fact that the winter games is always being accused of not having enough events and now you want to remove one? Curling is like glorified horseshoes on ice ffs.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Basketball is the 2nd most popular sport on the planet. Usa lost in 2004 or 2008. So that's already better than women hockey!

Curling is terrible but at least a lot of country can compete.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The real problem at the moment well since about 10 years is that while Usa and Canada keep improving the rest of the teams don't and so the gap between them is actually growing even bigger now. The sad fact is that women in those countries just don't care about hockey.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Basketball is the 2nd most popular sport on the planet. Usa lost in 2004 or 2008. So that's already better than women hockey!

Curling is terrible but at least a lot of country can compete.

USA didn't lose a single Basketball match for 40 years (63-0) according to what I'm reading and the one they did lose was in controversy. That's far from better. They then went on to 78-1. I'm sure basketball would be as popular as it is now if they canned it a long time ago.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You don't understand it seems. Baskteball IS very popular. Argentina beat USA in 2004 and won gold vs. Italy so that's already 100 times better than women hockey.

Hockey at the olympics f0r Women has done nothing to increase the popularity.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Canada won 7 of the first 8 Gold Medals in mens hockey. Should've canned that too. With scores like 29-0.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Russian Ladies In Skating? 2010 Korea won 2006 Japan 2002 USA

All those sports are very competitve. Women hockey is still there because of "political correctness" crap and because USA and Canada which are big shots for winter games want the easy gold and silver medals. Just one look at the tournament format will tell you how idiotic it is.

Those are sports where depth becomes an issue.

these are the free skate scores Zagitova from this year ( see a difference) ?

(Russia) 158.08 ( a fifteen year old)
Nagasu (USA) 137.53
Daleman (Canada) 137.14
Kostner (Italy) 134.00
Sakamoto (Japan) 131.91

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You don't understand it seems. Baskteball IS very popular. Argentina beat USA in 2004 and won gold vs. Italy so that's already 100 times better than women hockey.

so its the same as for the men then ? Nice to see the consistency.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
At that time Hockey wasn't known in many countries because of no tv no internet etc Still at least the podium wasn't always the same. When it started to be played in many countries it became competitive. Women hockey is getting worse, the girls in the other "hockey" country just don't care.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Those are sports where depth becomes an issue.

these are the free skate scores Zagitova from this year ( see a difference) ?

(Russia) 158.08 ( a fifteen year old)
Nagasu (USA) 137.53
Daleman (Canada) 137.14
Kostner (Italy) 134.00
Sakamoto (Japan) 131.91

At the Worlds last year Canada won silver and bronze.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Figure Skating is probably the most competitive winter sport and the most interesting to watch for sure. Asia Europe and North America all are very strong.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Womens Hockey started in 1998. Basketball started in 1936. USA won the Gold, hell every game pretty much for 60 years. Basketball was so popular back then...sure that's why everyone was so competitive. :sarcasm:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I bet you basketball never used a joke format like they have now in hockey.

And I repeat women hockey isn't getting more popular or improving in other countries. They know the game , they just don't care about it.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
At that time Hockey wasn't known in many countries because of no tv no internet etc Still at least the podium wasn't always the same. When it started to be played in many countries it became competitive. Women hockey is getting worse, the girls in the other "hockey" country just don't care.

I think this is because of the "female" aspect. It's sad really. Other countries all the funding goes to the mens which is unfortunate because I'd love to see competitive women's hockey.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I think this is because of the "female" aspect. It's sad really. Other countries all the funding goes to the mens which is unfortunate because I'd love to see competitive women's hockey.

It's not sad, it's right. Why pour resources into something nobody cares about? Only stupid governments like ours in Canada do that.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It's not sad, it's right. Why pour resources into something nobody cares about? Only stupid governments like ours in Canada do that.

The reason why no one cares about women's hockey is sexist in itself. which leads to no funding going into women's hockey since no one watches it

Reactions: Kyndig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad