Women' World championship

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
The women have been able to maintain competitiveness and development against the US machine, full credit to everyone involved. Men's hockey needs to pay attention and evolve.

Reactions: A stormy night

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I find it unfair that women hockey players make less than Sydney Crosby.

equal play equal pay

jokes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I can’t get into these tournaments. Even the mens WJC I can’t get into anymore. There’s a handful of competitive teams and everyone else is a dumpster fire. Makes getting excited for these very difficult imo. Just have the us/can play best of 7 and let everyone else stay home.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I can’t get into these tournaments. Even the mens WJC I can’t get into anymore. There’s a handful of competitive teams and everyone else is a dumpster fire. Makes getting excited for these very difficult imo. Just have the us/can play best of 7 and let everyone else stay home.
It's only wonen's hockey that us & canada are far ahead. This years WJC is irrelevant because so many players didn't participate. And even then the US didn't make the final. In December there could be 5+ good teams if the NHL releases some of the top layers like Slafkovsky. Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia. In any event the point of watching the WJC is to see how the top prospects stack up.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's only wonen's hockey that us & canada are far ahead. This years WJC is irrelevant because so many players didn't participate. And even then the US didn't make the final. In December there could be 5+ good teams if the NHL releases some of the top layers like Slafkovsky. Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia. In any event the point of watching the WJC is to see how the top prospects stack up.
I was referring to us/can playing best of 7 in this tourney only.

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Of course, the talent is unequal to NHL, but these broads would kick our sorry asses. :laugh::sarcasm:
I remember a few years ago, my son was playing for the worst midget B team in his league, at mid seaon, they were 0-10, being beaten with an average score of 7-1.
A father of one of the boys also had a daughter playing for team Quebec that were prepping to go to the Canadian championship ( which if I remember well , went on to win)
Long story short, he managed to organize a game between the worst team in the league and the absolute best girls in Quebec in the same age group , and the boys demolished them . The scorekeeper stopped putting up points at 11-0 during the first period, and the boys were bending backwards not to hurt the girls.
I’m all for the girls playing hockey, but find it very underwhelming.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
I remember a few years ago, my son was playing for the worst midget B team in his league, at mid seaon, they were 0-10, being beaten with an average score of 7-1.
A father of one of the boys also had a daughter playing for team Quebec that were prepping to go to the Canadian championship ( which if I remember well , went on to win)
Long story short, he managed to organize a game between the worst team in the league and the absolute best girls in Quebec in the same age group , and the boys demolished them . The scorekeeper stopped putting up points at 11-0 during the first period, and the boys were bending backwards not to hurt the girls.
I’m all for the girls playing hockey, but find it very underwhelming.
The Canadiens were underwhelming for a lot of the past season. Parity and too many teams for the amount of available talent makes a lot of hockey watching underwhelming unless you are a team supporter. How do people show up to watch the Laval Rocket in the playoffs of the AHL Calder Cup? It’s not that you’re watching high level hockey. You’re rooting for the team, you have a couple of players you like, the games are competitive and there’s something on the line.

Personally I have found the level of play high in the Canada US Olympic women’s matches, and the intensity and entertainment value super, and TV ratings of those games indicate that I am not alone. 3.54 million people in the US alone watched the woman’s Olympic final game in Feb 2022 making it at that point the 2nd most watched hockey game (men’s or women’s) in the US since 2019 after game 5 of the Tampa-Montreal Stanley Cup final.

Reactions: peate

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Tread lightly in this one.
6f7fum.jpg

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Women’s hockey doesn’t need to be at the NHL level, just to be at the highest level it can be for women’s athletes.

Hard to do that without a league of their own though. It has to get the opportunity to grow.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Women’s hockey doesn’t need to be at the NHL level, just to be at the highest level it can be for women’s athletes.

Hard to do that without a league of their own though. It has to get the opportunity to grow.
And who'll go watch the games? Will you? In the past and present, there have been hockey leagues for women. The problem isn't that leagues didn't exist. The problem is no one goes to watch them.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
And who'll go watch the games? Will you? In the past and present, there have been hockey leagues for women. The problem isn't that leagues didn't exist. The problem is no one goes to watch them.

But how do we expect the level of play to grow and then attract people if the players doesn’t get the opportunity to play?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
For the same reasons women play only three sets in tennis majors, I think we need to see reduced periods. The 1st period pace is usually excellent when Canada plays the US. After that it's a slog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad