Women' World championship

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
The Canadiens were underwhelming for a lot of the past season. Parity and too many teams for the amount of available talent makes a lot of hockey watching underwhelming unless you are a team supporter. How do people show up to watch the Laval Rocket in the playoffs of the AHL Calder Cup? It’s not that you’re watching high level hockey. You’re rooting for the team, you have a couple of players you like, the games are competitive and there’s something on the line.

Personally I have found the level of play high in the Canada US Olympic women’s matches, and the intensity and entertainment value super, and TV ratings of those games indicate that I am not alone. 3.54 million people in the US alone watched the woman’s Olympic final game in Feb 2022 making it at that point the 2nd most watched hockey game (men’s or women’s) in the US since 2019 after game 5 of the Tampa-Montreal Stanley Cup final.
I was one of the millions watching that game. And 100% rooting for team Canada. M-P Poulin is a beast amongst these girls ( she maybe could even perform at a decent level in ECHL if there was no physical contact allowed) I also watched most other sports when team Canada had medal chances. Heck, I even watched the Canadian women’s gold medal game in soccer a couple years past even if I find soccer more boring than a 🎯 tournament.
But I also think that it’s on a competitive level that does not interest me aside from Olympic times. I think most people would agree, that’s why Tv ratings are minuscule the rest of the time, and in house attendance when Montreal had a pro women’s team were minimal.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But how do we expect the level of play to grow and then attract people if the players doesn’t get the opportunity to play?
I see you avoided my question.

Let me give you my opinion. There are two things wrong with your suggestion.

1) Most women's sports will never reach men's level. I don't care how misogynist you think that sounds. And because of that most men will not watch most women's sports. Hell, they have football, soccer, hockey, basketball, baseball and a slew of other male sports to watch. They don't have the time even if they were interested. That's the first fact.

2) Most women couldn't care less about sports - just like Bill Burr said in the clip I posted.

So where are all these fans to support these women's leagues going to come from? And that brings me back to my question that you avoided answering. Would you support these leagues with your money?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I see you avoided my question.

Let me give you my opinion. There are two things wrong with your suggestion.

1) Most women's sports will never reach men's level. I don't care how misogynist you think that sounds. And because of that most men will not watch most women's sports. Hell, they have football, soccer, hockey, basketball, baseball and a slew of other male sports to watch. They don't have the time even if they were interested. That's the first fact.

2) Most women couldn't care less about sports - just like Bill Burr said in the clip I posted.

So where are all these fans to support these women's leagues going to come from? And that brings me back to my question that you avoided answering. Would you support these leagues with your money?

I never said they could reach the same level, i said the higher level women can be at.

Women’s tennis is not at same level as the men’s and will never be but it’s at the higher level it can be and tons of people worldwide loves watching women’s tennis.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
Most people watch sports not because the team they are supporting is at the highest level, but because of the personalities and the drama of feeling like they have skin in the game because their team is competing against the other team. People in America at least show up in droves to support high school and college sports even though they are less good than the pros are. People watch sports when the Olympics are on that they never watch otherwise. CHL hockey has players who are not as good as the pros.
I think if women's hockey is going to be successful they have to set up in cities that don't already have a (men's) team that people are supporting.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Some scary stats for the Japanese team? Canada has never lost to Japan in any of their six games and they’ve never allowed a goal. Canada has outscored Japan 82-0 in those game. Two of those games ended in 18-0 scores, making them the most goals ever scored by Team Canada.

That's what makes it a bit ridiculous at times.

Tomorrow's game vs US [2pm] should be a different story.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I never said they could reach the same level, i said the higher level women can be at.

Women’s tennis is not at same level as the men’s and will never be but it’s at the higher level it can be and tons of people worldwide loves watching women’s tennis.
women's tennis* and golf (at pro level) are legit games that are enjoyable to watch - somehow the sport translates well.
but hockey & basketball are just horrible to watch. Slow, uninteresting and absent anything 'sembling a world class move, etc..
... Olympic Sports ontoh are all entertaining.

* I'd even argue Women's Tennis is more enjoyable than many Mens games.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
women's tennis* and golf (at pro level) are legit games that are enjoyable to watch - somehow the sport translates well.
but hockey & basketball are just horrible to watch. Slow, uninteresting and absent anything 'sembling a world class move, etc..

Yeah that’s why i tried to give this example because since there’s always been women in tennis the level kept getting better and better and it’s very high level, fun to watch. I understand that hockey at a lower pace compared to NHL hockey isn’t that exciting.

Reactions: themilosh

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
They can play, just not in front of fans at sold out arenas. It isn’t happening.
The Portland Thorns women's soccer team outsells half of the mens' soccer teams in the MLS including the Montreal Impact. In 2019, they averaged 20,000 fans a game. The rest of the women's league is not at that level yet but ticket sales were up 21% in 2019, and this year the San Diego Wave sold 27,000 tickets to one of their games. If you only care about watching the highest level soccer, you are not going to watch women's games, and you are not going to watch the Montreal Impact, or any MLS game. You are going to watch European soccer which is clearly a vastly superior product. Yet there are North American men's and women's soccer leagues that are gradually improving, and attendance for both is improving too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlafySZN

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Portland Thorns women's soccer team outsells half of the mens' soccer teams in the MLS including the Montreal Impact. In 2019, they averaged 20,000 fans a game. The rest of the women's league is not at that level yet but ticket sales were up 21% in 2019, and this year the San Diego Wave sold 27,000 tickets to one of their games. If you only care about watching the highest level soccer, you are not going to watch women's games, and you are not going to watch the Montreal Impact, or any MLS game. You are going to watch European soccer which is clearly a vastly superior product. Yet there are North American men's and women's soccer leagues that are gradually improving, and attendance for both is improving too.
good thing we’re not talking about soccer. The men’s and women’s game are equally terrible to watch. So that probably explains that.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022

Woman’s tennis is the exception.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I'd definitely watch a women tennis game before John Isner. Most boring player ever imo.

I agree about OG i enjoy watching women as much as men. Sports is definitely about supporting a team or a country more than anything else. People watch AHL games and honestly the level of play is awful imo. I find top European pro leagues a lot more fun to watch than AHL but people still watch AHL more because it's the farm of their favorite team.

Woman’s tennis is the exception.

Women volleyball is fun too. Same for table tennis. Curling too.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I'd even add to what makes Women's Tennis so appealing, is that they dont play a smash and volley style. rallies are much longer and service game wins maybe 60% of the time.

Also and very importantly, the average "athletic man" watching knows they wouldn't be able to beat the women, same with golf. but watching women's hockey is like ~Bantam AA - not bad if there is something on the line, otherwise relatively boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad