Injury Report: Wolanin torn labrum, out 4 months (UPD: Skating, Returning in February)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yes, ice can be slippery, as Brian Elliott reminded us years ago. Good God, how does a guy suffer a catastrophic injury like that on a casual skate just before camp? I'd almost be happier to hear he did it while five beers in at a buddy's cottage - at least that would be a better story.

That puts him on track for a mid-January return. IIRC, Wolanin now requires waivers to go to the AHL, so all we can do is send him on a three game conditioning assignment. Not a chance he's ever get through waivers...
Did he not sign a two way for this year and a one for next? No way he'd clear if he was waivered.
Like others, had high hopes for him this year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Lajoie's ceiling is a bottom pairing guy.

I am not sure the two are competing for the same spots.

Howcome?

His raw physical tools are under developed as he is still growing and filling out while he has high end hockey sense and skill. I think he is not even close to his ceiling, he has a long way to go from a development stand point.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Lajoie's ceiling is a bottom pairing guy.

I am not sure the two are competing for the same spots.

Doesn't say much for practically every D other than Chabot on the Sens

Ceiling is a mid pair D. The kid is a good player. Played in a role over his head last year but there was no one else to play there.
Ceiling wise, his ceiling is highter than
Zaitsev
Demelo
Boro
I think its on par with Jaros ,., does not have the physicality or the straight line speed. He has better hands , better IQ and is a better pmd imo
Hainsey .. is at the end of his career but ceiling wise they are probably similar as well.

He showed his ceiling or glimpses of it at the start of the year which was pretty good if you ask me .. He showed he was not ready for a shut down role with Cody Ceci by the time he was sent down.

He is in direct competition with Brannstrom if they decide to keep either one of them up and he's up against the "proudest moment stuff" as was Wolanin.
From what I saw of Brannstrom last year and at the rookie tournament, there is no way, I'd having playing in the NHL this year but .. a great camp and lots of "proudest moment" support could change that. I think his defensive game is not ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Doesn't say much for practically every D other than Chabot on the Sens

Ceiling is a mid pair D. The kid is a good player. Played in a role over his head last year but there was no one else to play there.
Ceiling wise, his ceiling is highter than
Zaitsev
Demelo
Boro
I think its on par with Jaros ,., does not have the physicality or the straight line speed. He has better hands , better IQ and is a better pmd imo
Hainsey .. is at the end of his career but ceiling wise they are probably similar as well.

He showed his ceiling or glimpses of it at the start of the year which was pretty good if you ask me .. He showed he was not ready for a shut down role with Cody Ceci by the time he was sent down.

He is in direct competition with Brannstrom if they decide to keep either one of them up and he's up against the "proudest moment stuff" as was Wolanin.
From what I saw of Brannstrom last year and at the rookie tournament, there is no way, I'd having playing in the NHL this year but .. a great camp and lots of "proudest moment" support could change that. I think his defensive game is not ready.

I agree with this. I think Lajoie is being underrated by most Sens fans. Given how young he is and how quickly he was "fed steak" last year, I think his performance last year was pretty good.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree with this. I think Lajoie is being underrated by most Sens fans. Given how young he is and how quickly he was "fed steak" last year, I think his performance last year was pretty good.

All I can say is that I disagree. I think he rode the "OMG I'm in the NHL" high and once that was done, he settled into what he'll likely become: a bottom pairing Dman who is also good at moving the puck so some PP upside.

We shall see. I think he'll end up being a slightly better Chris Wideman.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That puts him on track for a mid-January return. IIRC, Wolanin now requires waivers to go to the AHL, so all we can do is send him on a three game conditioning assignment. Not a chance he's ever get through waivers...
70924287_10156157468671557_3982559131599896576_n.jpg

........................................ ↑↑↑

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think he rode the "OMG I'm in the NHL" high and once that was done, he settled into what he'll likely become: a bottom pairing Dman who is also good at moving the puck so some PP upside.

I tend to mostly agree with this.

He's a high-floor / low ceiling kind of player, imo. I don't see any real high upside, just a guy who is good at a lot of little things but not good enough to be more than just a complimentary player.

I mean... Look, there's nothing wrong with being a high-end 3rd pairing defenceman. That's a great use of a 5th round pick. That's a win. I just don't see the offensive upside here. I think last year's crazy fluke run of early goals for him was lightning in a bottle - it was completely out of character for him at any level of hockey he's ever played.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I tend to mostly agree with this.

He's a high-floor / low ceiling kind of player, imo. I don't see any real high upside, just a guy who is good at a lot of little things but not good enough to be more than just a complimentary player.

I mean... Look, there's nothing wrong with being a high-end 3rd pairing defenceman. That's a great use of a 5th round pick. That's a win. I just don't see the offensive upside here. I think last year's crazy fluke run of early goals for him was lightning in a bottle - it was completely out of character for him at any level of hockey he's ever played.

I don't think he'll ever be a good point producer. In junior his focus was much more defensive than it was to start the year last year. I think he'll end up as a very good #4 at some point. I think he'll be like a poor man's Vlasic. Mobile, decent with the puck but not flashy, really smart in his own end and does a lot of things that result in the puck being away from our net. Not sure he'll do this with the Sens but that's what I think he'll be. When a more offensive prospect like Thomson breaks in I could see him thriving with a guy like Lajoie.

But I've been a big fan of Lajoie's since his WHL days so perhaps I'm more positive about this player than most.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All I can say is that I disagree. I think he rode the "OMG I'm in the NHL" high and once that was done, he settled into what he'll likely become: a bottom pairing Dman who is also good at moving the puck so some PP upside.

We shall see. I think he'll end up being a slightly better Chris Wideman.

I dunno, Chris Wideman at his age was in his third year of college hockey, he is way way ahead of him from a development stand point already. He is also 6'1, and has great hockey sense if he gets stronger and faster I think he can be a top 4 d man in his prime the rest of the tools are there.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Welp... hopefully this isn't the beginning off remember how good wolanin was pre injury discussion in a few years

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
waivers exempt according to Cap friendly.

I stand corrected - glad he's still waiver exempt, as he'll need some significant time in the A to get up to speed once he's back. It's really tough on guys to miss camp and then jump back in when everyone else is skating at mid-season speed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Unfortunate, he is one of the guys I was interested in watching develop.

Hopefully he can get back to game speed and get into some games come Jan/Feb

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Its dissapointing. Hopefully Dorion doesnt force Brannstrom into the NHL sooner than he should be.
Thankfully, the amount of D (even though mostly mediocre) on this team should keep that from happening

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thankfully, the amount of D (even though mostly mediocre) on this team should keep that from happening

You would hope but we all know Dorion gets really giddy over his prospects and gets them to the NHL sooner than they should.

The list is long

Cowen, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Ceci, Lazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad