GDT: WJC Thread

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's pretty much the exact point I just made. Other teams are missing guys too, Canada is missing more, and overall we have more elite talent not playing. Relative to other teams, it hurts Canada more than it hurts them. MacKinnon-Monahan-Wilson + Rielly & potentially even Ceci on the backend. It's not close. Three elite guys and arguably two more excellent ones. The best talent wasn't there. It makes a difference you can't say it doesn't. That's foolish.

Russia & Sweden barely missing anyone. Dallas rookie Niku is the only key player out for them. It is what it is. I'd be more concerned if all Canada's best kids were playing and they were still losing.

sure we are missing more talent but my point is we have MUCH more talent to pick from.

our problem is chemistry and the mindset of these guys. You have to skate to win barely anyone on canada played to their potential.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's pretty much the exact point I just made. Other teams are missing guys too, Canada is missing more, and overall we have more elite talent not playing. Relative to other teams, it hurts Canada more than it hurts them. MacKinnon-Monahan-Wilson + Rielly & potentially even Ceci on the backend. It's not close. Three elite guys and arguably two more excellent ones. The best talent wasn't there. It makes a difference you can't say it doesn't. That's foolish.

Russia & Sweden barely missing anyone. Dallas rookie Niku is the only key player out for them. It is what it is. I'd be more concerned if all Canada's best kids were playing and they were still losing.

You mean when Team Canada **** the bed last year during the lockout when we had all our best playing? That was the year we missed out on gold for the 4th straight time, btw.

How many ****ing years do we have to lose gold until people wake up and realize our development program is broken?

Our kids can't skate with the big 3, our kids don't have the puck skills of the big 3, our kids don't have the hockey IQ of the big 3 (if that was a high hockey IQ team then Canada is ****ed in future Olympics).

Oh well. At least I made some vCash out of this game. It was pretty obvious they were going to screw up yet again.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
The defensemen looked like they were all drinking from the same tainted water bottle or something, Wouldn't shock me if they got some "coaching" that didn't stick all that well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
it's just that before the losing streak, every WJC was about whether Canada would give up the least goals in history. It's changed

Other countries decided to up the ante and create national team programs

Other countries have actively worked at getting better whereas Hockey Canada figured that they had nothing to worry about

That is what has changed

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Other countries decided to up the ante and create national team programs

Other countries have actively worked at getting better whereas Hockey Canada figured that they had nothing to worry about

That is what has changed

Winner. :handclap:

When you're on the top of the mountain, resting on your laurels is the quickest way to tumble down to the bottom.

The real tragedy is, if people would get on board with a serious revamp of the Program of Excellence (and a purge of some fat cats in Hockey Canada), we have enough kids enrolled in the game, and so much passion and commitment to the sport, we can easily turn this around and become dominant again in a couple years. For whatever reason, the majority of Canadian hockey fans refuse to admit there are serious holes in our development.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The problem is that a national team program, as they are traditionaly run, would likely cripple the CHL since the top kids would end up going into the national program (or the national program would fail if the top kids, worried about making the NHL, would rather go to the CHL)

It's a complex issue; I think we need to come up with our own variant of a national team program but that doing so would entail support from the CHL which would be, understandably so, not forthcoming

EDIT: post number 9000. Wow

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We don't even need the traditional type of national program (like the US has). We have enough kids playing all over the country that we don't really need to hothouse a select group of kids.

What we need, is to refocus. More practices, slightly less games, way less tournaments, more focus on teaching. Less of the Don Cherry rah rah rah hit everything that moves mantra.

Biggest thing is working on skating. More skating drills. One thing that holds so many of our kids back is a lack of speed and agility. Making plays at top speed. Having strong skating skills will also help to keep more kids in the game - kids who are smaller or a bit timid about being hit will feel more confident on the ice knowing they have the skill to avoid most of the hits.

Teach kids that hitting is designed to separate player from the puck - not to intimidate or act like a tough guy. Too many guys spend their time looking for the big hit instead of learning how to play the game.

And tournaments. We don't need so many freaking tournaments. It's gotten to the point is just a cash cow and ego booster for various hockey organizations, and it's also a big reason why so many parents can't afford to put their kids in the sport. Have strict limits on how many tourneys kids under the junior level can play in a season.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Other Countries pick their best players and hope for the best. Canada doesn't.

They worry more about players gelling together because it's a short tournament. It's a real shame seeing better players not making Team Canada because of it.

I hope it's hurts USA for not picking Ryan, but that's just me! :nod:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Some salt for the wound....

Our population is about 6 times Finland's. It's about 4 times Sweden's.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think he's getting this from Sutter's comments regarding Lazar:

He tends to get overly defensive when anyone disagrees with him.

Ottawa and tram Canada consistently using him as a winger seems to disagree with his assessment but it is what it is. As usual he probably knows more than Sutter and Ottawa's management.

He's looked good so far today. Fins play such a tight defensive game...Canada needs to get a couple goals.

"Lazar said" =/= "Sutter said" loooooool

You said "he(lazar) said...." he never said that, lmao.

"I prefer to be down the middle." - Lazar

Who knows, maybe I do know better. Oh look, Lazar was center today? 12/2 in faceoffs? Interesting.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Some salt for the wound....

Our population is about 6 times Finland's. It's about 4 times Sweden's.

Not just that. Registered hockey players in Sweden, 40k (approximately); registered hockey players in Canada 400k (approximately). The only country that is close to us in number of kids playing is the USA.

If anyone here collects the Redline Report, or the International Scouting Service draft profiles, or even the Hockey News draft preview issues throughout the years, take a look at the weakness/flaws listed with Canadian players. The overwhelming majority of the time, it's skating.

If all Hockey Canada did was have a directive to spend more time working on skating every practice, that alone would make a huge difference a few years from now.

Think about it...the one single foundation skill that every other skill in this game feeds from is skating. How can you become a good puckhandler if you're wobbly on the ice? How can you keep your head up if you don't trust your skates? How can you absorb hits if you're not steady on your feet? How can you improve your hockey IQ and become a better playmaker if you're more focused on staying on your feet than actually playing the game?

I'm telling ya, fix the skating issue and we'll see a dramatic turnaround in hockey in this country. Enrollment rates won't drop as fast because kids will have more fun playing the game, kids won't be as afraid of entering the contact levels because they'll have more confidence they can absorb, or even avoid hits. And kids will naturally have their heads up a little more and be more aware of their surroundings, which will lessen injuries overall.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
There is no big problem. no conspiracy, no nothing. Other countries are getting better meaning 'parity' is increasing. Canada is still part of the top end group and will always be, but other countries are now there too, meaning Canada will not be winning 50% of the time or 5 in a row anymore...more like 1 in 4/5 while always competing. Nothing wrong with that as it means we are still a good hockey country adn there is more quality hockey to watch at all levels.

For the game........

Finland played a very solid team game, executed perfectly. Everyone knew what they were going to do and it worked.

Canada did their best Russia impersonation and played as a bunch of solo artists.

They were not using teammates. Trying to stickhandle thru 3,4,5 guys will not break a stingy trap defense. You have to passing and use speed, which they did not do.

For good parts of the game they refused to dump and chase, their teammates or hard work..... they passed around the outside looking for one timers rather than using the points (especially on the power plays).

They simply got out coached and out hustled in every part of the rink.

Semis will be fun. Swe-Fin....system vs. system......and Can-Rus the selfish dangle show.

I hope Canada has some fire left, Russia will.

Go Finland!! .....then Swe, Rus, US and Can can all panic about their hockey programs :naughty:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"Lazar said" =/= "Sutter said" loooooool

You said "he(lazar) said...." he never said that, lmao.

"I prefer to be down the middle." - Lazar

Who knows, maybe I do know better. Oh look, Lazar was center today? 12/2 in faceoffs? Interesting.

At centre 0 points in 1 game, at wing 7 points in 5 games. Interesting.

I guess Sutter was just pulling out of his hat. He'd never actually talked or worked with Lazar prior to making that statement. LMAOOOOO He totally never would have any idea where Lazar likes to play LMFAOOOO also Ottawa management is incompetent for putting him on the wing. LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

Don't take the boards to seriously chap.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At centre 0 points in 1 game, at wing 7 points in 5 games. Interesting.

I guess Sutter was just pulling out of his hat. He'd never actually talked or worked with Lazar prior to making that statement. LMAOOOOO He totally never would have any idea where Lazar likes to play LMFAOOOO also Ottawa management is incompetent for putting him on the wing. LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

Don't take the boards to seriously chap.

I'm just gonna come out and say it:

You are NOT allowed to use a 1 game sample size to support a position, EVER.

No "But it's my opinion...." no "but I have the right!...", NEVER, for ANY reason.

The rest of the debate is what it is, given that no one is party to ANY of the variables (Lazar may have played wing because none of the other centres were as good on the wing, or he wanted to try the wing, etc...).

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I want Lazar to be able to play wing for us anyways.

Spezza
Turris
Zibanejad
Smith
Pageau

One of those guys is going to have to move, would be nice if Lazar could play next to one of them

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm just gonna come out and say it:

You are NOT allowed to use a 1 game sample size to support a position, EVER.

No "But it's my opinion...." no "but I have the right!...", NEVER, for ANY reason.

The rest of the debate is what it is, given that no one is party to ANY of the variables (Lazar may have played wing because none of the other centres were as good on the wing, or he wanted to try the wing, etc...).

You are aware of the discussions on the rest of the Sens board about how the win streak must have magically happened because Spezza and Neil are injured right? People use tiny samples, including one game samples, here to make big arguments all of the time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You are aware of the discussions on the rest of the Sens board about how the win streak must have magically happened because Spezza and Neil are injured right? People use tiny samples, including one game samples, here to make big arguments all of the time.

Hahaha, oh I know, but the 1 game sample size takes the cake!

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Finland goes up 2-1 and Sweden gets 5 straight PPs in a row (third period). 2 terrible calls.

I don't know if the refs are intimidated by the crowd or...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad