GDT: WJC Thread

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah umm....there's this tournament thingy starting today, or at least that's what I've heard.

Ottawa Senators players involved:

Lazar (CAN)

Hogberg (SWE)

Shore (USA)

Looks like Lazar got demoted down to 3rd line wing, Hogberg is the back up for Sweden, and Shore will be the 4th line center for the US.

Let's go United States of Canasweden!!!

If a mod wants to paste the schedule into this post or fancy it up a bit feel welcome to do that.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I really don't see a line of McDavid-Horvat-Reinhart being our go-to top line. Chance are they're just going to be rolling lines for now to see what works.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Those empty seats make me want to be there :(

Makes me wonder wtf the tourney is doing in Sweden. So far it's been organized like an adult rec hockey tournament. First its the zambonis, then the odd way the area is made (concrete walls? really?) and the poor ice today....really expected better organizational quality.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lazar with an assist :D

Yep. I'm still surprised they're using him in front of the net considering he has one of the best shots on the team.

Nice play though. He'll have a lot of opportunity to score being on the top pp unit.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
good work by Lazar in front of the net to occupy the German D there. Won't get an assist, but was vital in that goal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
hmmm, Mantha is...interesting. Doesn't seem to like carrying the puck at all. He just kinda sets up around the net & side boards and looks for pucks. Kinda reminds me of Heatley.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And yet, he got a hat trick and player of the game! Not bad for his first game....

Yeah...but I'm not sure how well that will translate against good WJC teams, and against NHL competition later on in his career.

He uses his reach well, and he has a nose for the net, but I don't see anything else. He had a hard time doing any kind of give-and-go with his linemates, and pretty much relies on them to get the puck to his stick while he sits in the slot.

Feels like he'll be like Heater...a 1-trick pony as a pro.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mantha looks pretty meh everywhere except in finding space to score and finishing his chances. Heatley is a great comparison.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Yeah...but I'm not sure how well that will translate against good WJC teams, and against NHL competition later on in his career.

He uses his reach well, and he has a nose for the net, but I don't see anything else. He had a hard time doing any kind of give-and-go with his linemates, and pretty much relies on them to get the puck to his stick while he sits in the slot.

These blogs kill me. 1 game against a junior team that fights to stay out of relegation and we are projecting the NHL (mis) fortunes of a kid.

Too many experts on these blogs. :)

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Well, unless he takes getting better seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad