GDT: WJC Thread

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm actually not that angry about it

Hockey Canada is arrogance personified: I'm never sad when arrogance gets slapped around

I agree Hockey Canada's whole program needs to be reevaluated. Canada was lucky to win as many games as they did.

And at the world championships the "not a tournament anyone cares about" excuse is used.

Finland deserved the win

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Mantha is going to be good at the next level so much skill

Lazar was good this tournament too he has a motor

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
You thought he was good? I admit I wasn't studying his game, but I thought his execution was off most of the game.

Good? **** no. I don't think any of Canada's defensemen looked good. I just don't see Dumba doing anything all that damaging, most certainly nothing to warrant getting absolutely destroyed on here.

WhiteLight*

One of the problems with hockey development in Canada in recent years is that kids are taught to play a simplified game with lots of dumping the puck. Which as a result doesn't allow them to develop their puck skills nearly as effectively and poise with the puck.
It's just one thing I've noticed

Also, you know, they didn'T pick the best players

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Lazar, Mantha and Pouliot were named Canada's Top 3 players by the coaches.

What a sad, sad game. Finland deserved the win for sure.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
What happened to Canada this game is what's going to happen to the US in the Olympics. You don't bring a checking and energy line to a best on best tournament.

What happened when Canada's top 6 were shutdown or in the penalty box this game? No one else could create offense because they aren't those types of players.

Also, not that this game was Fucale's fault, but I still don't see how Driedger wasn't even considered by Hockey Canada for this team.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
What happened to Canada this game is what's going to happen to the US in the Olympics. You don't bring a checking and energy line to a best on best tournament.

What happened when Canada's top 6 were shutdown or in the penalty box this game? No one else could create offense because they aren't those types of players.

Also, not that this game was Fucale's fault, but I still don't see how Driedger wasn't even considered by Hockey Canada for this team.

I think your comparisons are bang on.

Bringing grinders to a tightly reffed IIHF tournament is ridiculous. This isn't the NHL playoffs.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Yup, clearly Driedger and Fucale should have battled for the starting job. But in the end goaltending was not going to save them in this tournament.

WhiteLight*

ding ding ding

Grinders and checkers :help:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Canada had eligible players that are playing in the NHL instead, but does it negate the fact that very few if anyone on Finland would make the Canadian team? I don't see how it's possible to lose under this circumstance.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Canada had eligible players that are playing in the NHL instead, but does it negate the fact that very few if anyone on Finland would make the Canadian team? I don't see how it's possible to lose under this circumstance.

You've never heard of a worse team beating a better team in a one game scenario?

It's one damn game.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Bringing grinders to a best of 1 tournament is just nuts.

When the game is tied and in the third period, who's going to make that big play, dangle, or goal? Brown, Wheeler, or Ryan?

WhiteLight*

You don't really know how good players on Finland are though. They play in obscure leagues in Europe. Just because they didn't go high in the NHL draft, it doesn't mean they worse than Team Canada. Maybe they'd be less successful in the NHL in comparison to Team Canada, or maybe these players would be less successful in the CHL in comparison to Team Canada. But, that doesn't mean they're worse on international ice in this type of tournament. Plus what PTM said

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it's just that before the losing streak, every WJC was about whether Canada would give up the least goals in history. It's changed

WhiteLight*

it's just that before the losing streak, every WJC was about whether Canada would give up the least goals in history. It's changed

Canada is getting worse and other countries are getting better. plus they don't pick the right players

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I remember Bobo saying in his preview

"This isn't an extremely fast team, this isnt an extremely big team,.... this is a team with an extremely high hockey IQ"

well isn't that great

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
We can talk about frustrating if you want, but Canada was still the better team. Finland just flat out executed a perfect defensive game-plan and Canada failed to score with the mountain of opportunity and time they had with the puck. It is what it is. Greece won the Eurocup a long time ago in soccer. Nobody thought of them as a great team and they weren't, they just perfectly executed a game plan and got lucky to win with what is generally a losing strategy. Honestly though, I'll take the way Canada plays hockey over that gutless ******** with the Finish kid pretending he was hurt so their captain could take the penalty shot. That's peewee crap and it's embarrassing to pull that kind of a stunt at this level. Completely disrespectful to Canada as an opponent.

Regardless, the problem isn't the talent pool. In 2001 Canadians represented 55% of the NHL, now it's 52.1%. That's the number that matters. We are developing players just fine. The bigger issue is now Canada's best players are often playing in the NHL at younger and younger ages. That makes them unavailable for this tournament. You can say Sweden & Russia face the same problem, and to some extent they do, but Canada has the most good players so we are affected by it the most. It's not a best on best tournament anymore because the best (Nathan MacKinnon, Sean Monahan, Morgan Rielly, Tom Wilson, Cody Ceci (maybe not, Dec 21st B-Day) aren't there.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_PlayerNationalities.php

Edit: So the team is missing it's obvious top two centers, a perfect line-mate for Drouin and a 30 minute top pairing D + another excellent center. Yep. That's a big part of why they struggled if I do say so myself. It's unfortunate but honestly the only "best on best" tournament left is the Olympics. Teams should let kids play in the WJC but the points are too important to them. Except Calgary, I don't know what keeping Monahan out was about for them... truly. Selfish ******** :).

I'll start sweating when Canada is no longer leading the pack in developing and drafting talent into the NHL. Including elite talent, which we also develop more of than anyone else.

If there is any area of concern it's goaltenders. I think that's just because kids in Canada don't have an infallible idol like Patrick Roy playing the net somewhere in the NHL. Not enough Canadian kids grow up wanting to be goalies and our development of the ones that do is lacking somehow.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You don't really know how good players on Finland are though. They play in obscure leagues in Europe. Just because they didn't go high in the NHL draft, it doesn't mean they worse than Team Canada. Maybe they'd be less successful in the NHL in comparison to Team Canada, or maybe these players would be less successful in the CHL in comparison to Team Canada. But, that doesn't mean they're worse on international ice in this type of tournament. Plus what PTM said

It's called scouting.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We can talk about frustrating if you want, but Canada was still the better team. Finland just flat out executed a perfect defensive game-plan and Canada failed to score with the mountain of opportunity and time they had with the puck. It is what it is. Greece won the Eurocup a long time ago in soccer. Nobody thought of them as a great team and they weren't, they just perfectly executed a game plan and got lucky to win with what is generally a losing strategy. Honestly though, I'll take the way Canada plays hockey over that gutless ******** with the Finish kid pretending he was hurt so their captain could take the penalty shot. That's peewee crap and it's embarrassing to pull that kind of a stunt at this level. Completely disrespectful to Canada as an opponent.

Regardless, the problem isn't the talent pool. In 2001 Canadians represented 55% of the NHL, now it's 52.1%. That's the number that matters. We are developing players just fine. The bigger issue is now Canada's best players are often playing in the NHL at younger and younger ages. That makes them unavailable for this tournament. You can say Sweden & Russia face the same problem, and to some extent they do, but Canada has the most good players so we are affected by it the most. It's not a best on best tournament anymore because the best (Nathan MacKinnon, Sean Monahan, Morgan Rielly, Tom Wilson, Cody Ceci (maybe not, Dec 21st B-Day) aren't there.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_PlayerNationalities.php

I'll start sweating when Canada is no longer leading the pack in developing and drafting talent into the NHL. Including elite talent, which we also develop more of than anyone else.

If there is any area of concern it's goaltenders. I think that's just because kids in Canada don't have an infallible idol like Patrick Roy playing the net somewhere in the NHL. Not enough Canadian kids grow up wanting to be goalies and our development of the ones that do is lacking somehow.

Most of the players on finland wouldnt even make team canada and everyone is missing talent imagine finland had Barkov and Maata?

We have the talent the players dont execute and the coaches dont pick properly

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
what if i do?:sarcasm:

sometimes it takes something stupid like a goalie to tilt the favor like Martin Gerber did against Canada. And the Sens suffered b/c of it too.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
That's pretty much the exact point I just made. Other teams are missing guys too, Canada is missing more, and overall we have more elite talent not playing. Relative to other teams, it hurts Canada more than it hurts them. MacKinnon-Monahan-Wilson + Rielly & potentially even Ceci on the backend. It's not close. Three elite guys and arguably two more excellent ones. The best talent wasn't there. It makes a difference you can't say it doesn't. That's foolish.

Russia & Sweden barely missing anyone. Dallas rookie Niku is the only key player out for them. It is what it is. I'd be more concerned if all Canada's best kids were playing and they were still losing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4