GDT: WJC Thread

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
what a move by ristolainen. two years in a row that a power move along the boards has won the hockey game.. first by zib, second by risto. atta boys.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The problem is that a national team program, as they are traditionaly run, would likely cripple the CHL since the top kids would end up going into the national program (or the national program would fail if the top kids, worried about making the NHL, would rather go to the CHL)

It's a complex issue; I think we need to come up with our own variant of a national team program but that doing so would entail support from the CHL which would be, understandably so, not forthcoming

EDIT: post number 9000. Wow

I completely agree with this.

Canada could easily put together a national team program that was equipped to win international tournaments but it would be a devastating hit to the CHL and professional player development in Canada.

Canada's biggest problem with these tournaments is that they have too many good players. That 'problem' makes it difficult to bring players that actually have experience with each other and developed chemistry. The US, Finland and Russia in particular have many players that all have played together for years at various levels. That's much more difficult in Canada's system.

I'm not a fan of the idea of diluting the CHL to win these tournaments. It wouldn't be good for hockey as a whole. It would affect not only Canadian and US players who come up in the 3 league's but the Swedes, Slovaks, Finns, Russians etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe Canada has won more gold or medals in this tournament than any other country. It's nice to see that other countries are now playing very well, there seems to be parity in the tournament. Even with Sweden as the clear favourites they still didn't win although they had a great tournament. Canada should be back next yr when the tournament is in Canada, they have eleven players returning. Maybe that's why they took such a young team knowing most would return for next yr when the tournament is in Canada & they would be more experienced & ready to win gold.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
At centre 0 points in 1 game, at wing 7 points in 5 games. Interesting.

I guess Sutter was just pulling out of his hat. He'd never actually talked or worked with Lazar prior to making that statement. LMAOOOOO He totally never would have any idea where Lazar likes to play LMFAOOOO also Ottawa management is incompetent for putting him on the wing. LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

Don't take the boards to seriously chap.

Im not arguing on where he is more effective.

You said Lazar said he is comfortable both RW and C which was false, a flat out lie. You misinformed everyone of what Lazar said. Not team Canada, not Sutter.

I agree with you that he seems very good in RW too but his ability and speed at C could be more useful. Like Zibanejad has proven.

Btw, i dont say LMFAO i say looooooooooooool :shakehead

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The problem is that a national team program, as they are traditionaly run, would likely cripple the CHL since the top kids would end up going into the national program (or the national program would fail if the top kids, worried about making the NHL, would rather go to the CHL)

It's a complex issue; I think we need to come up with our own variant of a national team program but that doing so would entail support from the CHL which would be, understandably so, not forthcoming

So maybe Canadian Junior hockey Leagues should "only" have Canadian kids. As it stands now we are taking Canadian kids jobs away, since we are introducing European or US kids in our leagues.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So maybe Canadian Junior hockey Leagues should "only" have Canadian kids. As it stands now we are taking Canadian kids jobs away, since we are introducing European or US kids in our leagues.

NOOO!! Having kids with a high skill set playing a different style helps our kids. You want kids at the top junior tier playing with and against the best competition. That's how you improve.

What we need, is to reduce the number of CHL teams. They're massively watered down. There's no excuse to ever have 15-year-olds playing major junior, and no excuse for some teams to carry as many as 5 16-year-olds. Reduce the number of teams in each league by 3. That not only improves the quality of play in the CHL, but also boosts Jr. A and midget leagues.

The big change in Hockey Canada should be to focus more on skating skills from day one. You can see even locally in the Bell Capital cup that US teams already at that age have a noticeable skating advantage over our kids. Watching the Quebec peewee tourney the difference in skating is even more apparent.

Put more emphasis on skating skills every practice (and more practices), and virtually all other hockey skills the kids have will start improving naturally.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You said Lazar said he is comfortable both RW and C which was false, a flat out lie. You misinformed everyone of what Lazar said. Not team Canada, not Sutter

Well the original assertion you made was that he was more effective at centre which is what I disagreed with and then followed up with my reasoning for why I didn't necessarily agree.

I admit that I forgot it was Sutter that had said it, but Sutter wouldn't have said it without knowing what Lazar preferred himself also. That said yes, it was misleading as it wasn't a direct quote from Lazar though I still feel as though Lazar would have had to imply this in some way to Sutter for him to come out and say that.

I agree with you that he seems very good in RW too but his ability and speed at C could be more useful. Like Zibanejad has proven.

See for me with the kind of depth Ottawa has at centre already his services would be much better suited to the wing for Ottawa specifically. If we didn't have Spezza/Turris/Zibanejad that might be different. We'll see how the contract negotiations go with Spezza, but that still leaves Pageau, Da Costa and other lower tier prospects (though I don't think that Pageau or SDC are on Lazar's level either). Maybe a future draft pick, too.

My belief is that Spezza will be re-signed. So Lazar most likely fits onto the wing in Ottawa with a centre strength of Spezza - Turris - Zibanejad - Smith (which is amazing if all are healthy and playing well). Top end wingers aren't something that Ottawa really has a lot of -- though it's great to have a guy like Lazar who seems like he can be a top end winger that can also fill in as a centre if needed.

Btw, i dont say LMFAO i say looooooooooooool :shakehead

Meh that whole post was out of line on my part and I apologize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad