TSN: WJC ~ Team Canada @ the World Junior Championships

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You breath through your nose normally, if you're breathing through your mouth it's not a good thing

You do both.

The nose is better for filtering the air as it goes into your system.

The mouth is better for getting more air in quickly.

So when I'm running, for example, I'm training myself to do 2 quick inhales through the nose, and an exhale through the mouth.

But then look at guys who just went all out as hard as they can and they'll be huffing and puffing gasping for air...with their mouths...because it gets more air in quicklier.

You're right that you should try to breathe through your nose to filter, but I'm also right that it depends on the situation.

If you're congested, it's often much better to breathe through your mouth then your nose...or else you end up sounding like Mort that I mentioned earlier. (YouTube him if you don't know who I'm talking about) also, congestion can become much worse if you keep filtering through your nose when congested.

Either way...it doesn't really make sense as an insult is my point.

It's like making fun of someone because they blink more or less than you. Makes no sense.

Everyone breathes through their mouth and nose at some points...so not really insulting lol.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You do both.

The nose is better for filtering the air as it goes into your system.

The mouth is better for getting more air in quickly.

So when I'm running, for example, I'm training myself to do 2 quick inhales through the nose, and an exhale through the mouth.

But then look at guys who just went all out as hard as they can and they'll be huffing and puffing gasping for air...with their mouths...because it gets more air in quicklier.

You're right that you should try to breathe through your nose to filter, but I'm also right that it depends on the situation.

If you're congested, it's often much better to breathe through your mouth then your nose...or else you end up sounding like Mort that I mentioned earlier. (YouTube him if you don't know who I'm talking about)

Either way...it doesn't really make sense as an insult is my point.

It's like making fun of someone because they blink more or less than you. Makes no sense.

Everyone breathes through their mouth and nose at some points...so not really insulting lol.
Of course everyone breaths through their mouth, but that's not what mouth breathing is. It's a medically diagnosed problem.

It's just an easy insult for a stupid person that's been used for a century

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Of course everyone breaths through their mouth, but that's not what mouth breathing is. It's a medically diagnosed problem.

It's just an easy insult for a stupid person that's been used for a century

Sounds like an insult some nerdy 4th grader attempting to be insulting would say.

The first time I heard I think was on stranger things...so it made sense. It lined up with what a 4th grader who plays D and D would say.

Why don't they call them "idiots" or "stupid" or "Pejorative Slured" to actually be insulting?

Funny how saying the R word is frowned upon because it's a real condition, but saying mouth breathers, which you shared as a real medically diagnosed problem, is ok.

What's with the inconsistency of our society?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sounds like an insult some nerdy 4th grader attempting to be insulting would say.

The first time I heard I think was on stranger things...so it made sense. It lined up with what a 4th grader who plays D and D would say.

Why don't they call them "idiots" or "stupid" or "Pejorative Slured" to actually be insulting?

Funny how saying the R word is frowned upon because it's a real condition, but saying mouth breathers, which you shared as a real medically diagnosed problem, is ok.

It's quite literally been used since like 1900, pretty much world wide. It's not exactly some niche insult.

I mean, there's not really much to say to the other points

Reactions: NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's quite literally been used since like 1900, pretty much world wide. It's not exactly some niche insult.

I mean, there's not really much to say to the other points

Yeah, I'm not saying it hasn't been around.

I'm saying it's not a very good insult.

If someone called me that i'd think "Ha! What a nerd. Probably has no friends and spends all day on the computer."

If someone called me a generic insult like "idiot or r word" I would be like "what? Let me show him who's the idiot or R word".

I'm just saying the insult itself isn't very effective or intimidating....so what's the point?

It's like hearing a grown man call someone a "nincompoop"...like ok? Good one?

I'd expect better insults from hockey players. Though I support Methot in calling out those idiots, he gets an L for his choice of insults. Too PG and soft.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

"Smithers, who is that man?"

"Er, that's Simpson sir, one of the mouth breathers from Sector 7G."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, I'm not saying it hasn't been around.

I'm saying it's not a very good insult.

If someone called me that i'd think "Ha! What a nerd. Probably has no friends and spends all day on the computer."

If someone called me a generic insult like "idiot or r word" I would be like "what? Let me show him who's the idiot or R word".

I'm just saying the insult itself isn't very effective or intimidating....so what's the point?

It's like hearing a grown man call someone a "nincompoop"...like ok? Good one?

It's not supposed to be rooted in gravitas, it's supposed to be simple and easy, no different than calling someone a pigeon. It's just a simple, understood, insult.

It's very common, with little to no relation to nerds or computers.

Nincompoop is a great insult

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
"Smithers, who is that man?"

"Er, that's Simpson sir, one of the mouth breathers from Sector 7G."

Haha omg you're right. Now that you say that I definitely remember that. So I guess stranger things would be the second time.

I feel like as a teenager, I was subjected to much harsher insults than that so didn't really hear it in my teenage years or my 20s until stranger things.

Nice memory though ;)

It's not supposed to be rooted in gravitas, it's supposed to be simple and easy, no different than calling someone a pigeon. It's just a simple, understood, insult.

It's very common, with little to no relation to nerds or computers.

Nincompoop is a great insult

Hmmm. I find it interesting that you find these insults very good.

Pigeon is a bit better because it's a little funny. Same with "you're a wagon" which I align with pigeon.

What do you think about more vulgar insults?

I feel they're generally much more effective at pissing off the target, no?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Haha omg you're right. Now that you say that I definitely remember that. So I guess stranger things would be the second time.

I feel like as a teenager, I was subjected to much harsher insults than that so didn't really hear it in my teenage years or my 20s until stranger things.

Nice memory though ;)

Sadly, my entire existence can be charted out in terms of Simpsons and Seinfeld references.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sadly, my entire existence can be charted out in terms of Simpsons and Seinfeld references.

Haha. Me it's more Simpsons, south park, and family guy. f*** sensitivities.

I've watched all Seinfeld episodes...and they're good, but I feel like curb your enthusiasm is better...it's very similar, but more modern and more vulgar.

Speaking of, I think I have a season or two to watch of curb.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Nice memory though ;)

Hmmm. I find it interesting that you find these insults very good.

Pigeon is a bit better because it's a little funny. Same with "you're a wagon" which I align with pigeon.

What do you think about more vulgar insults?

I feel they're generally much more effective at pissing off the target, no?
Everyone has heard the same vulgar retreads a million times, they don't really mean anything other than being vulgar.

Give someone a thumbs down when they screw up driving, that hits harder than a middle finger, unless you just have a shitty temper.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Haha. Me it's more Simpsons, south park, and family guy. f*** sensitivities.

I've watched all Seinfeld episodes...and they're good, but I feel like curb your enthusiasm is better...it's very similar, but more modern and more vulgar.

Speaking of, I think I have a season or two to watch of curb.

Curb is great. The last couple of seasons have been terrific.

Reactions: DrEasy and jbeck5

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Everyone has heard the same vulgar retreads a million times, they don't really mean anything other than being vulgar.

Give someone a thumbs down when they screw up driving, that hits harder than a middle finger, unless you just have a shitty temper.

I would just chirp their driving instead of a general insult. Vulgarity can add a lot of humour to the offending side.

It's why the most popular comedians or comedic shows generally have either offensive material or vulgar language or both. Obviously there are exceptions to this though.

If you're trying to insult someone, you shouldn't half ass it. Go at them hard with all you've got lol. I'm semi joking here lol.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know how sensitive Sens fans are about the phrase "bounces" but in this case it is true. Canada got victimized by a bad bounce yesterday, but everyone quickly forgets that the knob of Thomas Milic's goalie stick saved Canada from a quarterfinal knockout last year. We also had to win the 2023 gold medal game in OT in a game that could have gone either way.

In the summer makeup tournament that proceeded that one, you had Mason MacTavish making that absolutely insane save on the goal line with his stick that kept the game alive for Canada, and later allowed the gold medal winning game in OT. Yesterday, we got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on a bounce. Welcome to sports - there is an element of randomness to it that players, coaches, fans and media don't like to acknowledge but is definitely there.

It was also pointed out yesterday that the 2004 birth year players - the ones who would be the 19 year old core players on Team Canada - got victimized by COVID worse than any other group. Due to the pandemic this group did not get a World U-18 Championship or a Gretzky-Hlinka Cup. This is where a lot of young Canadian players first learn the international game.

Finally, this group had precisely one returning player. Next year's team should have upwards of eight returnees. We will also have the benefit of playing at home and that is a huge plus. (Next year, it will be the Americans who will get whacked by graduated players and having few if any returnees.)

Reactions: NyQuil

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I know how sensitive Sens fans are about the phrase "bounces" but in this case it is true. Canada got victimized by a bad bounce yesterday, but everyone quickly forgets that the knob of Thomas Milic's goalie stick saved Canada from a quarterfinal knockout last year. We also had to win the 2023 gold medal game in OT in a game that could have gone either way.

In the summer makeup tournament that proceeded that one, you had Mason MacTavish making that absolutely insane save on the goal line with his stick that kept the game alive for Canada, and later allowed the gold medal winning game in OT. Yesterday, we got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on a bounce. Welcome to sports - there is an element of randomness to it that players, coaches, fans and media don't like to acknowledge but is definitely there.

It was also pointed out yesterday that the 2004 birth year players - the ones who would be the 19 year old core players on Team Canada - got victimized by COVID worse than any other group. Due to the pandemic this group did not get a World U-18 Championship or a Gretzky-Hlinka Cup. This is where a lot of young Canadian players first learn the international game.

Finally, this group had precisely one returning player. Next year's team should have upwards of eight returnees. We will also have the benefit of playing at home and that is a huge plus. (Next year, it will be the Americans who will get whacked by graduated players and having few if any returnees.)
I mostly agree, but the game shouldn't even be 2-2 with 12 seconds left in the game. We should expect Canada to have a large lead by then. Mind you, even Switzerland managed to go to OT. There are no weak teams anymore it seems.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

States have 7/8 returning guys next year

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think that everyone recognizes that the randomness is there, but that ultimately it is out of your control and you can only focus on those things that are within your span of control.

When the sound bites out of a post-game loss focus on the random aspects of it, there’s a perception that you’re letting those areas that are within your scope slide.

Now, to be clear, that’s about a professional hockey team staffed with professional adults.

I don’t apply the same standard to the Juniors as I do to the Senators.

With respect to the WJCs, there was sort of that sinking feeling that they needed to score during that impressive barrage of chances and it just wasn’t going to happen.

I don’t blame anyone for the bad bounces (Bonk? Really?) but Mateychuk dumping the puck to no one as if he didn’t know how much time was left was a costly error.

It’s still not worth getting all upset about. They are still just kids out there.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People directing negative comments at kids should be called out .. everyone of them individually. So many heroes on social media so quick to condemn. This is not the first time this behavior has been called out generally with quite a bit of backlash against those doing it. People can be really stupid.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People directing negative comments at kids should be called out .. everyone of them individually. So many heroes on social media so quick to condemn. This is not the first time this behavior has been called out generally with quite a bit of backlash against those doing it. People can be really stupid.

I get that it’s wrong, but I also think it’s irresponsible to not recognize that any one of those kids out there could cost the team the gold medal at any time (rightly or wrongly).

As much as I’d like to wish trolls away, the reality is that Hockey Canada should have a policy of players shutting down public facing social media until the tourney is over for a few days - barring a victory.

We say we care about their mental health and then we are shocked when an unaccountable anonymous communications medium turns toxic and hurts their feelings.

If everyone drove properly we wouldn’t need seat belts and air bags for the most part. We have them because aspirational thinking isn’t realistic.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I get that it’s wrong, but I also think it’s irresponsible to not recognize that any one of those kids out there could cost the team the gold medal at any time (rightly or wrongly).

As much as I’d like to wish trolls away, the reality is that Hockey Canada should have a policy of players shutting down public facing social media until the tourney is over for a few days - barring a victory.

We say we care about their mental health and then we are shocked when an unaccountable anonymous communications medium turns toxic and hurts their feelings.

Winning or losing ; Its a game filled with mistakes and they are kids. Fans want their team to win. When they don't there is no excuse you can provide me to convince me its somewhat ok or understandable for a fan to attack a kid on social media because they somehow decide their play didn't measure up.

I like the suggestion re a hiatus on social media for all the players for a period surrounding the tournament.

Reactions: Back in Black

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Tomorrow

9:00 am

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 7.37.06 PM.png

1:30 pm

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 7.37.18 PM.png

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That Finland - U.S. game could be an upset special. The Americans have a history of choking at critical moments in international play...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad