TSN: WJC ~ Team Canada @ the World Junior Championships

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Take a look at the 2023 OHL draft selections:

All played AAA level (the Canadian players).

The feeder (in the Ottawa area) is the HEO AAA league (HEO ‘AAA’ Hockey League). If you want your kids to have a chance, you better pony up to get them into that league.

Just did a little research that this league didn't start until after my draft league which explains my arguments.

All my friends who have played pro hockey my age and in the NHL from the Ottawa area went from AA to Jr. There was no AA.

Example. I played competitive soccer with this guy, who also played for the B sens at one point.

Guys like this just played AA.

So if AA and A is affordable...why does AAA get crazy expensive? Shouldn't it have the same costs as AA plus a small percentage for increased ice time?

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Just did a little research that this league didn't start until after my draft league which explains my arguments.

All my friends who have played pro hockey my age and in the NHL from the Ottawa area went from AA to Jr. There was no AA.

Example. I played competitive soccer with this guy, who also played for the B sens at one point.

Guys like this just played AA.

So if AA and A is affordable...why does AAA get crazy expensive? Shouldn't it have the same costs as AA plus a small percentage for increased ice time?

AA or A still isn't "affordable" these days. You're not looking at $15k per player per year, but you are looking at ~$5k.

Jr.A is also pay-to-play now. Registration fees alone are ~$6k a year.

So if you have a kid who plays 3 years of Jr.A, you'll be out ~$18k + equipment + expenses (if they have to leave home). Probably around $30-35k for 3 years of hockey, on top of what you had to spend to get them to the Jr.A level. Better hope they get that scholarship offer...

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Possibly, I'm not sure how far back that is, but I know for sure at the bare minimum it's been the highest, and main feeder for the CHL since at least 95' for Quebec and the Atlantic provinces, and with the Air Canada/Telus Cup being on the go through the 80's, I'd imagine it was then as well

Started in 2007-2008 in Ottawa.

From the HEO site:

"In the fall of 2004, hockey enthusiasts in the Ottawa branch raised the possibility of creating a 'AAA' league within the boundaries of the ODHA/ODMHA. After many hours of discussions and input from executives and the hockey community at large, the ODMHA in 2005 created a “AAA Sub-committee” who were tasked with the responsibility to hold sessions with the stakeholders in the branch, gather data on the registration numbers, receive submissions from the hockey community and liaise with ODMHA Minor Council to ascertain whether a AAA league within the ODMHA was viable and feasible.

After several months of holding meetings, discussion groups and gathering data, the AAA Sub-committee presented an update to Minor Council in February of 2006. Council members provided direction to the Sub-committee to review a zone type concept, merging the ODMHA’s existing districts into five zones, while not adding a fourth level of competitive hockey in the Branch. On December 14th, 2006, the Sub-committee presented their findings to Minor Council. Highlights included five zones, a three-year pilot project, bantam and midget levels only, effective for the 2007-2008 playing season. Council members accepted in-principal a motion to adopt the Sub-committee’s recommendations.

On January 29th, 2007, at a special meeting of Minor Council, the following motion was put forward stating that:

“A branch-wide “AAA” league will commence in the ODMHA, for the 2007-2008 hockey season, in accordance with the regulations and policies drafted by the AAA Sub-committee under mandate from Minor Council”."

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Started in 2007-2008 in Ottawa.

From the HEO site:

"In the fall of 2004, hockey enthusiasts in the Ottawa branch raised the possibility of creating a 'AAA' league within the boundaries of the ODHA/ODMHA. After many hours of discussions and input from executives and the hockey community at large, the ODMHA in 2005 created a “AAA Sub-committee” who were tasked with the responsibility to hold sessions with the stakeholders in the branch, gather data on the registration numbers, receive submissions from the hockey community and liaise with ODMHA Minor Council to ascertain whether a AAA league within the ODMHA was viable and feasible.

After several months of holding meetings, discussion groups and gathering data, the AAA Sub-committee presented an update to Minor Council in February of 2006. Council members provided direction to the Sub-committee to review a zone type concept, merging the ODMHA’s existing districts into five zones, while not adding a fourth level of competitive hockey in the Branch. On December 14th, 2006, the Sub-committee presented their findings to Minor Council. Highlights included five zones, a three-year pilot project, bantam and midget levels only, effective for the 2007-2008 playing season. Council members accepted in-principal a motion to adopt the Sub-committee’s recommendations.

On January 29th, 2007, at a special meeting of Minor Council, the following motion was put forward stating that:

“A branch-wide “AAA” league will commence in the ODMHA, for the 2007-2008 hockey season, in accordance with the regulations and policies drafted by the AAA Sub-committee under mandate from Minor Council”."
Costs have accelerated since Akes played Bantam/Midget hockey.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
AA or A still isn't "affordable" these days. You're not looking at $15k per player per year, but you are looking at $5k+.

The AAA teams in Ottawa seem to be about 5-6K but the AA seem to be much less

For example, total cost to register for the AA Gloucester Rangers is $2,900.

So why does the cost double for AAA if they're only getting a wee bit more ice time?

Costs have accelerated since Akes played Bantam/Midget hockey.

Yes, but why?

There's so much more available ice time compared to when I was a kid. The number of ice surfaces has tripled in Orleans, if not quadrupled.

When I grew up, there was 3 surfaces in "Orleans". One at Ray Friel. One at Navan. One at Cumberland.

Now there's 3-4 surfaces at Ray Friel alone...and there's sensplex east with another 3-4 surfaces.

Getting ice time shouldn't skyrocket in price with all the extra ice and lower demand of putting kids in hockey.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
The AAA teams in Ottawa seem to be about 5-6K but the AA seem to be much less

For example, total cost to register for the AA Gloucester Rangers is $2,900.

So why does the cost double for AAA if they're only getting a wee bit more ice time?

I honestly don't know. A small group of parents are willing to pony up to pursue their dream of little Johnny suiting up for the Leafs, leagues are happy to take their money, and the system has priced out 99% of other families.

Also, I wouldn't call $2900 in registration fees, per year, affordable. You can easily tack on another $3k for equipment and travel.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I honestly don't know. A small group of parents are willing to pony up to pursue their dream of little Johnny suiting up for the Leafs, leagues are happy to take their money, and the system has priced out 99% of other families.

But where is the money going? Like I said, more ice is available. I look at coaches and apparently they get paid peanuts...like half of what someone makes working minimum wage...so that should only account for the same cost as adding a second referee to games. It shouldnt blow the bank.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
But where is the money going? Like I said, more ice is available. I look at coaches and apparently they get paid peanuts...like half of what someone makes working minimum wage...so that should only account for the same cost as adding a second referee to games. It shouldnt blow the bank.

Well it's not $15k just in fees. It's estimated to be $15k in total. That number includes travel, accommodations, equipment, etc.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well it's not $15k just in fees. It's estimated to be $15k in total. That number includes travel, accommodations, equipment, etc.

Why would that cost be so high though?

Shouldn't most of their schedule be local? Shouldn't they be practicing at home and playing games within the greater city area(maybe 1.5 hours away max)?

Also, won't most of their equipment last several years? They aren't replacing all their gear every year. I probably had the same shin pads or elbow protectors for like 5 years at a time growing up.

Every year they might have to replace 2-3 pieces. These pieces would be ($100-750) so I don't know how they account for 15k in expenses every year. (Or even how they account for 10k in expense after the 5k fees)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Shouldn't most of their schedule be local? Shouldn't they be practicing at home and playing games within the greater city area(maybe 1.5 hours away max)?

Also, won't most of their equipment last several years? They aren't replacing all their gear every year. I probably had the same shin pads or elbow protectors for like 5 years at a time growing up.

Every year they might have to replace 2-3 pieces. These pieces would be ($100-750) so I don't know how they account for 15k in expenses every year. (Or even how they account for 10k in expense after the 5k fees)
top of the line skates are over 1k now ... Kids go through growth spurts and its not uncommon to have to go through 2 pairs in one year,
Kids also play hockey all year round now .. Spring / Summer hockey is an additional cost.
There are sites that breakdown the costs... Prices have all shot up .. Sticks are crazy, There are stories of families that can only put one kid thru.. its gone nuts. Why ? You need a lot of info to answer that

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
top of the line skates are over 1k now ... Kids go through growth spurts and its not uncommon to have to go through 2 pairs in one year,
Kids also play hockey all year round now .. Spring / Summer hockey is an additional cost.
There are sites that breakdown the costs... Prices have all shot up .. Sticks are crazy, There are stories of families that can only put one kid thru.. its gone nuts. Why ? You need a lot of info to answer that

Plus you have tournaments and "showcases" that teams and scouts tell these kids they need to be at to be noticed. One weekend in Toronto to attend a AAA showcase? That can easily run a family $1k+, alone.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Because Hockey Canada execs are businessmen who are multimillionaires. For the past decade (maybe a bit longer), HC has gone all in on the "elite" development model. Hockey schools, elite summer camps, on ice training 7 days a week, selling a type of Sydney Crosbyesque program where the kids are spending hours a day on the ice, in the gym, traveling all over facing other elites kids and marketing that top level as THE route to go to get into the NHL. And people at every step of the way are making a mint.

Elite level hockey in Canada is what yacht racing or polo is in the UK. It's become a status symbol of the upper class.

Reactions: dumbdick

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Because Hockey Canada execs are businessmen who are multimillionaires. For the past decade (maybe a bit longer), HC has gone all in on the "elite" development model. Hockey schools, elite summer camps, on ice training 7 days a week, selling a type of Sydney Crosbyesque program where the kids are spending hours a day on the ice, in the gym, traveling all over facing other elites kids and marketing that top level as THE route to go to get into the NHL. And people at every step of the way are making a mint.

Elite level hockey in Canada is what yacht racing or polo is in the UK. It's become a status symbol of the upper class.

And in that time we've seen hockey Canada struggle to produce the same percentage of NHL players as we used to while other countries are making giant headway, with what I hear is affordable hockey?

Maybe they should reverse their method? It's not working. We're losing our stronghold on the best players in the world compared to past decades.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And in that time we've seen hockey Canada struggle to produce the same percentage of NHL players as we used to while other countries are making giant headway, with what I hear is affordable hockey?

Maybe they should reverse their method? It's not working. We're losing our stronghold on the best players in the world compared to past decades.

The bigwigs at HC don't care about that. They're rolling in money and status. It's all a moneymaking scheme for them, not about the love of the game.

Poor kid doesn't deserve that. Games are never won or lost on one play. It's a 60 minute game, not a 10-second event.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
To be honest, i really hate the culture of minor hockey. Thats driving me away more than the cost.

There's a really toxic aspect now. It's too competitive and way too much focus on development and keeping up with the joneses. Real machismo vibes still and people are looking at their kids with dollar signs in their eyes.

And this is f***ing house league. Like you cant just sign your kids up for hockey and let them play. Gotta do the camps. The power skating. The skills workshops. The backyard rink. Maybe use your sisters address one town over to get them registered on two teams.

Because the other parents think their kid is their retirement plan. And they're doing it. And the sport sucks for the kids who aren't the very best. Because the coaches are reliving their Junior B glory days and bringing that same bullshit toxic competitive culture with them. My kids tier 3 house league has coaches that wear collared shirts and ties behind the bench. They shorten their benches. It's f***ing gross.

HC needs to introduce a true cheapish just-for-fun league. Thats what house league is supposed to be, but it's far from it.

Get the future mcdavids and their f***ed-up parents and coaches on a separate track sooner. Make elite programs for them and make them the best. But give the other 99% of us an affordable fun sport for our kids where we can avoid the whackjobs and this horseshit competitive culture.

Stop treating all of youth hockey in canada like its one big selection camp. One big haystack hiding gretzkys and mcdavid needles somewhere inside.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know, a lot of Czechs on HF were pretty happy that the puck went in off Bonk's stick.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the comments came from them - there was no small amount of bitterness that he chose to play for Canada instead of Czechia.

I get that a social media footprint is part of being a celebrity these days, but my God, why wouldn't you shut down your public-facing social media right before the WJCs? These are kids after all.

In any event, it was Mateychuk that made the bonehead play with 20 seconds left or so to just dump the puck into the neutral zone off the boards under no pressure at all.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It is always comical when the 30-40 year old bleacher creatures are yelling at and making fun of the teenagers that they just paid to watch pay hockey. Used to be absolutely hilarious

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Mouth breathers

I've heard this a few times.

Why is mouth breathers supposed to be an insult?

It's like calling people nose breathers like Mort Goldman on family guy as an insult.

Don't normal people just breathe normally, sometimes through their mouths, and sometimes through their nose depending on the situation?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've heard this a few times.

Why is mouth breathers supposed to be an insult?

It's like calling people nose breathers like Mort Goldman on family guy as an insult.

Don't normal people just breathe normally, sometimes through their mouths, and sometimes through their nose depending on the situation?
You breath through your nose normally, if you're breathing through your mouth it's not a good thing, can effect your health

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad