WJC SF1: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Czech Republic (7-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Fleury couldn't see that shot. His own defenceman was in his way.

This game should already be blown open. I just hope Canada doesn't get frustrated...they need to keep up their level of play through the next 2 periods.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The goal looked soft...but Fleury wasn't told the game had started yet. The shots were 11-0 Canada at the time (According to Pierre and Gord)

BTW, does their announcing suck. They should grab a skirt and pom poms.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Didn't look like he was screened to me, the guys in front of the net were opposite the side the shot came from. Fleury came out a bit to slash at the guy in front and to the left, then had to get across when the puck went to the point. I think he lost track of it at some point, and was just guessing when he went down.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
slats432 said:
The goal looked soft...but Fleury wasn't told the game had started yet. The shots were 11-0 Canada at the time (According to Pierre and Gord)

BTW, does their announcing suck. They should grab a skirt and pom poms.

As an American, it's pretty hilarious hearing these guys for pretty much the first time. I really enjoy how Pierre will lament "questionable" calls, only to have Gord admonish him, "no, that was a brutal call", and than Pierre relenting.

smileymcadam

Feb 11, 2003
A happy place
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
As an American, it's pretty hilarious hearing these guys for pretty much the first time. I really enjoy how Pierre will lament "questionable" calls, only to have Gord admonish him, "no, that was a brutal call", and than Pierre relenting.

As a fan of the game, I think it's pretty hilarious when you provide an example of Pierre and Gord being homers when the incident you talk about was a Czech penalty. They were saying it was a bad call against the Czechs. If they sound like they're homers, it's because Canada dominated the period. I think they give credit where credit is due and I don't think they're shy about criticizing Canada. There just hasn't been much to criticize so far. That could change, but not yet.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
smileymcadam said:
As a fan of the game, I think it's pretty hilarious when you provide an example of Pierre and Gord being homers when the incident you talk about was a Czech penalty. They were saying it was a bad call against the Czechs. If they sound like they're homers, it's because Canada dominated the period. I think they give credit where credit is due and I don't think they're shy about criticizing Canada. There just hasn't been much to criticize so far. That could change, but not yet.

Agreed. Miller and McGuire also commented about the ridiculous Czech diving during the Czech-Slovakia game. I suppose they were cheerleaders for the Slovaks there? :D

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I don't usually mind these guys, but Miller and McGuire are starting to drive me nuts. All this ranting about them diving, and then mocking them when they return to the ice a few minutes later.

If a Canadian got hit by the puck in the hand or the throat, and then returns to the ice, they'd be raving about how much heart he had to come back from an injury.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
I'm up. Took an extra hour nap.

Miss anything exciting?

Canada came out flying, physically dominating and getting loads of scoring chances. It looked like Canada vs Ukraine for awhile. Then the weak calls (against both teams) occurred, and Canada's lacked jump since. Czechs have battled harder physically this period as well.

Fleury let in a questionably soft goal on Czechs' first shot (11-0 at the time), on the PP. Point shot by Nemec.

3-1 Canada now. Burns redeems his three penalties by getting it to Carter.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
I don't usually mind these guys, but Miller and McGuire are starting to drive me nuts. All this ranting about them diving, and then mocking them when they return to the ice a few minutes later.

If a Canadian got hit by the puck in the hand or the throat, and then returns to the ice, they'd be raving about how much heart he had to come back from an injury.

There's been what, 5-6 players that've sprawled on the ice for the Czechs this game? Same thing happened against Slovakia, and the previous game against Canada, and according to Miller/McGuire, against Switzerland as well.

I'd agree McGuire is quick to call the Czechs on their diving (while Miller's more conservative), but he's also willing to own up if he's wrong.

The amount of diving and crawling on the ice has been ridiculous to watch IMO.

Yes Im Peter Ing

Dec 6, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Talk about "unacceptable"...

Going on a rant about how Mtl fans shouldn't want a guy on their team before you've even seen the play in question.. And then the guy ends up cut. That's just terrible form, and you could tell McGuire was dead embarassed. I bet he will be carefull about jumping the gun on diving acccusations from now on.

And I usually think that McGuire is pretty objective. It's his passion for Canadian hockey that usually makes him look like a homer (but I don't think it clouds his judgement).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mike8 said:
There's been what, 5-6 players that've sprawled on the ice for the Czechs this game? Same thing happened against Slovakia, and the previous game against Canada, and according to Miller/McGuire, against Switzerland as well.

I'd agree McGuire is quick to call the Czechs on their diving (while Miller's more conservative), but he's also willing to own up if he's wrong.

I agree its so frustrating to watch a game with the Czechs diving and crawling all over the ice... What an embarrassment!!!!

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:

One of the players McGuire's hyped the most in this tournament has been Crosby. Last shift, Crosby takes a dive and McGuire calls him on it.

He may hype Canadian players a lot, but he'll generally hype any good young talent that intrigues him. If you watched the Slovakia-Czech game, McGuire was hyping individual Slovaks as much as he's done with Canadians. Just as he did last year with Pitkanen, Lehtonen and Ruutu.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Mike8 said:
There's been what, 5-6 players that've sprawled on the ice for the Czechs this game?

Yes, there have been numerous guys on the ice. There have also been numerous folks with cuts, neck contusions and the like.

Looks more to me like we're just pounding the hell out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad