WJC SF1: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Czech Republic (7-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I don't think he is hurt ...More dizzy and possible concussion symptoms..

Having a concussion isn't being hurt now? Tell that to Deadmarsh...

I think it is probably safe to say that Olesz got a concussion from the hit.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
The thing is that you cant justify a penalty on a injury. You should penalize the hit and not the result. People who didnt thought it was legal are just not use to see those kind of hits.

CeskyHokej

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
P
Besides, Bob McKenzie brought up a good point...Andersson could have called it a Check To The Head and would have been able to justify it.

I think that is the key point in that hit, it was a shot to the head. No it was not an elbow as the replay showed, but even the first time I saw the replay all I really noticed was the elbow leading in, so you can't really fault the official on the call.

As for it not being a penalty in the NHL, aren't they cracking down on shots to the head, with the shoulder or otherwise. I remember Regehr hitting a player who was bent over along the side boards and he caught his head with his shoulder. Subsequently he got a penalty, funny how then Pierre was ranting how the NHL has to get rid of all shots to the head.

Les Zarbites

Van said:
Seeing the replays of Phaneuf's hit, as a referee, I'm not sure if I would have called it or not. I would have to be on the ice with a feel for the game to make that decision.

Yeah tough to blame the refs for that one. It happened pretty fast. And just before the hit Phaneuf had his elbow up. He brought it down for the hit but it looked like he was gonna hit him with his elbow up.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
2 things from kiwi. One BRILLIANT GAME! Two, PIerre again proves that he is an idiot with his insipid yammering. He has to understand that while Hockey is Canada's sport that it has become important to other parts of the world and THEY SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY in parts of the game and that this is an INTERNATIONAL TOURNEY and NOT the NHL.

The Phanuef hit would have me happy as a tot on his birthday if he were going to be on my NHL team but in Intl play that hit don't make it. Pity because if they allowed that kind of play the euros would be better suited to the NHL game.

Anyways, Cheers mates and great game.

I were wondering if someone could keep a post of who scores what goals and when for those of us who don't get all of the games. I only get pieces of it (tech troubles) and have a hard time knowing who scores.

Cheers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Van said:
Seeing the replays of Phaneuf's hit, as a referee, I'm not sure if I would have called it or not. I would have to be on the ice with a feel for the game to make that decision. .

You bring up as point I was going to mention...

Feel for the Game .... I wonder if that was a little frustration from Phaneuf's part because of all the diving and other antics in this game..

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Well now they are talking about a possible dislocation in his neck. :dunno: And a broken nose and cheek bone.

Hope he'll be alright.

chicpea*

they mentiones possible neck, cheek and nose problems for olesz, but he is moving his hands and feet so "paralysis is not an issue"

BCCHL inactive

jcpenny said:
The thing is that you cant justify a penalty on a injury. You should penalize the hit and not the result. People who didnt thought it was legal are just not use to see those kind of hits.

Andersson was already calling the hit. Olesz's injury upgraded the penalty as the rules state it must. He did not use the injury to make his decision to give Phaneuf a penalty.

TSN reports that Czech doctors are worried about facial injuries and possible spinal injuries in Olesz's neck on top of a concussion. Sounds scary.

Cyclops II*

jcpenny said:
This call is as stupid as the 4 min for bleeding in the NHL. If he wanted to give a 2 min i would have accepted it even there was no call to make. I think the refs just never seen such a big hit as legal in thier career.

Exactly what is wrong with the NHL. Hitting is not hockey. Watch games from the 1950's and 60's. There were very few bodychecks and I doubt there were any as hard as Phaneuf's. Hits as hard as Phaneuf's should not be allowed in hockey. And any hit to the head should be a 10 game suspension. The problem with hockey today is there is no respect for other players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Aaron Vickers said:
Possible concussion symptoms would SCREAM injury to me.
I'm not familiar with Olesz's character, but he'd deserve an Emmy if he was faking that injury.

Injury update ...Possible broken nose and cheek bone...

but that is not confirmed it was just mentioned....

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
24:10 in shot category after the 2nd. Not a good game. Are the Canadians playing so physically or we are just unable to pass the puck?

BCCHL inactive

punchy1 said:
I were wondering if someone could keep a post of who scores what goals and when for those of us who don't get all of the games. I only get pieces of it (tech troubles) and have a hard time knowing who scores.

Cheers.

Check the official tournament thread here at HF after the games. I update summaries of all concluded games.

BCCHL inactive

Cyclops II said:
Exactly what is wrong with the NHL. Hitting is not hockey. Watch games from the 1950's and 60's. There were very few bodychecks and I doubt there were any as hard as Phaneuf's. Hits as hard as Phaneuf's should not be allowed in hockey. And any hit to the head should be a 10 game suspension. The problem with hockey today is there is no respect for other players.

So bodychecking is a sign of disrespect? This is stepping over boundaries that should not be crossed.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
What a flurry of saves by Schwarz. Game savers. (not that I think the Czechs have much of a chance now anyway but 5-1 would be game)

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
Cyclops II said:

Agreed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
endacka said:
24:10 in shot category after the 2nd. Not a good game. Are the Canadians playing so physically or we are just unable to pass the puck?

Most of the Czech shots in the period came in the last minute on the PP of the Phaneuf penalty...Fleury made 5 or 6 saves in the last 2 minutes..

The play really isn't close really...The Czechs have had very few good scoring chances in the game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad