WJC - Russia - 2015

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Buch and barbashev played a more complete game. Tkachev is very creative but his game lacks maturity. Most likely sherbak/goldobin take his spot

this. Tkachev is still a diva. Gets caught in his own skills competition all the time. Size is still an issue. All St.Louis arguments aside, he's is really small. I wanna see him play against Canada's D and survive. The Czechs weren't really trying to be whatever defensively.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I searched the Hockey Canada website but didn't find any video of Russia vs. Canada. Can anyone tell me where to find the game?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
They were playing pretty well, and then the defense just started to dismantle. My misgivings about Bragin is the history of horrible defensive play under his coaching. Everybody is just wandering all over the ice out of position, no one knows where to go or who they should pick up. I realize that not many of the Defensemen there tonight are likely to be in Montreal, but that was just a terrible unforced meltdown in the Second Period. If they don't figure out some kind of a plan or scheme in the 3rd, it could get ugly.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They were playing pretty well, and then the defense just started to dismantle. My misgivings about Bragin is the history of horrible defensive play under his coaching. Everybody is just wandering all over the ice out of position, no one knows where to go or who they should pick up. I realize that not many of the Defensemen there tonight are likely to be in Montreal, but that was just a terrible unforced meltdown in the Second Period. If they don't figure out some kind of a plan or scheme in the 3rd, it could get ugly.

Bilyalov didn't help either by starting giving up bad rebounds in bunches. No PP. Bragin has alot of work to do with this team.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Bilyalov didn't help either by starting giving up bad rebounds in bunches. No PP. Bragin has alot of work to do with this team.

You are right. Overall, I don't think Bilyalov helped himself at all in Bragin's eyes. He made a few good saves, but as you so correctly note, he gave up some horrible rebounds (I think it was the 3rd Canadian goal in the 2nd period that was a circus in front of his crease because he couldn't freeze the puck). The defense seemed really tentative and soft on the puck, which can often mean that they are confused about their role, where they are supposed to be, and who is going to support them when they try to make a defensive play. Bragin definitely has a lot of work to do.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
shaky goalie (at times great saves though) scary forwards (too small for physical and at times dirty play by Canada) and D caught out of position.

Expect worse tomorrow, as they are playing a 3rd game in 4 days, against a fresher team.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
shaky goalie (at times great saves though) scary forwards (too small for physical and at times dirty play by Canada) and D caught out of position.

Expect worse tomorrow, as they are playing a 3rd game in 4 days, against a fresher team.

You are right. The best part of Bragin, IMO, is his ability to motivate his players to play above their head. So they may be mentally tougher tonight. Either way, its only August, so I'm not too worried.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Going into the 3rd period, I'm not seeing any player motivation yet. No leaders or anyone willing to fight for the puck and take a hit. Maybe next year!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Atas said it best - Bragin certainly has a long way to go to get a medal at the WJC with this team. Sorokin looks promising in goal, but the roster is absolutely tiny, and they don't skate well, and they're certainly not strong. They never appeared dangerous on offense, and it seemed like they were always on the verge of opening up the floodgates on defense. If there is some promise of improvement, its really hard to see it at this point.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
This is hardly the roster that will be at the actual U20. Tonight was junk.

-We know if Goldobin and Scherbak are available they will be locks. Goldobin and Tolchinsky will likely play together on the 2nd line (had nice chemistry at last years SS).

-We know that Tkachev-Barbashev-Buchnevich is going to be force.

-We still haven't seen the likes of Pilipenko, Kamenev, Shatsky, Sedtikov, Svechnikov, Lazarev etc. All of who will likely get looks at the super series.

-Goaltending will be solid.

Bragin shows no panic and rightfully so at this point. He is just giving some outside guys a look to see if there are any surprises (which in the forward position, there aren't any).

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Going into the 3rd period, I'm not seeing any player motivation yet. No leaders or anyone willing to fight for the puck and take a hit. Maybe next year!
do you mean rumyantsev's team with ivanuzhenkov in the roster and tyanulin as a leader? if so, there's little to be optimistic about, their results were mostly awful

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

-We know if Goldobin and Scherbak are available they will be locks. Goldobin and Tolchinsky will likely play together on the 2nd line (had nice chemistry at last years SS).

-We still haven't seen the likes of Pilipenko, Kamenev, Shatsky, Sedtikov, Svechnikov, Lazarev etc. All of who will likely get looks at the super series.

Bragin shows no panic and rightfully so at this point. He is just giving some outside guys a look to see if there are any surprises (which in the forward position, there aren't any).

Well said! Yours is a more well-balanced analysis than mine. I should never do a post immediately after the game in a loss, even if its just Canadian Summer Development Camp!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
do you mean rumyantsev's team with ivanuzhenkov in the roster and tyanulin as a leader? if so, there's little to be optimistic about, their results were mostly awful

Luckily, Rumyantsev and Ivanuzhenkov (blotnoy!) are nowhere to be found, so maybe there is some hope yet!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

You should give the Mamin-Sharov-Situation a good look. They basically screwed the first half of the 1st game agaist Canada. Most coaches would let them ride the pine for that. Bragin puts them out on PP! And they score. And were the best line offensively since then.

On the other hand Bragin wasn't able to get the designated leaders going.

Bottom line: it's August hockey. Most of the guys were obviously nowhere near game shape. Just endless reaching, scrambling, dumps, half hearted plays, missed passes.

P.S. It think Tkachev is out and I'm pleased. And we have some guys to improve the roster. Scherbak, Goldobin, Kamenev. Obviusly that roster was lacking size on the small rink.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

There is another thought. I took a look at our 1995 class. Outside Nichushkin and Zadorov who won't be there for WJC anyway, there are no real standouts. I like Buchnevich, but he always lacks finish. He does everything well, except closing out the play. He will be a good hockey player still. Barbashev is not bad either, but not quite a budding superstar.

On the other hand it's encouraging to see some 1996 and even 1997 guys showing signs of being ready at U20 that level already. I think the 1996-1997 class will be a much more solid one. And I would like Bragin to give them a real chance now.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
There is another thought. I took a look at our 1995 class. Outside Nichushkin and Zadorov who won't be there for WJC anyway, there are no real standouts. I like Buchnevich, but he always lacks finish. He does everything well, except closing out the play. He will be a good hockey player still. Barbashev is not bad either, but not quite a budding superstar.

On the other hand it's encouraging to see some 1996 and even 1997 guys showing signs of being ready at U20 that level already. I think the 1996-1997 class will be a much more solid one. And I would like Bragin to give them a real chance now.
i can't agree with that. the 96 is clearly inferior to the 95 one and the 97 class will be one of the worst ones in the last ten years (98 one of the best)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You should give the Mamin-Sharov-Situation a good look. They basically screwed the first half of the 1st game agaist Canada. Most coaches would let them ride the pine for that. Bragin puts them out on PP! And they score. And were the best line offensively since then.

On the other hand Bragin wasn't able to get the designated leaders going.

Bottom line: it's August hockey. Most of the guys were obviously nowhere near game shape. Just endless reaching, scrambling, dumps, half hearted plays, missed passes.

P.S. It think Tkachev is out and I'm pleased. And we have some guys to improve the roster. Scherbak, Goldobin, Kamenev. Obviusly that roster was lacking size on the small rink.

All good points! I liked the way Mamin and Sharov played, although it was in fact Mamin who set up the first Canadian goal on Wednesday by making a diagonal pass across the blue line right onto the stick of a Canadian, who just walked in and scored.

It also seemed clear that the designated leaders, particularly Buchnevich, failed to inspire any attack whatsoever. When you are playing on small ice against good defensemen who pack the middle, you have to have guys who can move into the middle to get in scoring position. You have to count on guys like Buchnevich to lead the attack, and he has disappointed so far in my view.

Tkachev is really talented and has a knack of avoiding hits because of his puck control skills, but he just has no power, and frankly not a lot of speed, to get in scoring position. I would contrast him with another small guy from last year, Zhafyarov, who was so quick and fast and explosive that he was always seeming to create something.

It is only August, and there are a lot of really good players who are missing, so that puts it in perspective.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I was thinking the same thing when watching one of the games against Canada. With Nichushkin and Zadorov gone to the NHL, there is really only Buchnevich left, and he isn't finishing consistently. For example, in the first game against Canada, he got stoned on a clear breakaway, and that sends a negative message to the rest of the team, who look up to him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
i can't agree with that. the 96 is clearly inferior to the 95 one and the 97 class will be one of the worst ones in the last ten years (98 one of the best)

As I wrote here somewhere the excitement about the WJC clouds the judgement. We don't need a bunch of good players to win the WJC. If they are just good, they will never make it to the NT. We need a couple of guys with superstar potential instead. They will fill spots on the NT someday. That's more important than winning the WJC, while I watch it with interest too.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
As I wrote here somewhere the excitement about the WJC clouds the judgement. We don't need a bunch of good players to win the WJC. If they are just good, they will never make it to the NT. We need a couple of guys with superstar potential instead. They will fill spots on the NT someday. That's more important than winning the WJC, while I watch it with interest too.
What you say makes sense, but WJC still is one the biggest national team showcases hockey have. They are still kids, but tournament has
a lot of prestige of its own.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2