WJC: WJC Rosters - United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
One kid I think that is constantly overlooked - Dave Warsofsky. He's incredibly smart and skilled. I realize he's not the biggest kid, but he has incredibly offensive ability and he's very solid defensively as well. I would take him over Aaron Ness in a heartbeat, who is comparable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Mike Lee (St. Cloud State 09-10)
Jack Campbell (USA U-18) or Connor Knapp (Miami OH)

John Carlson (London Knights OHL)*
Jake Gardiner (Wisconsin WCHA)
Aaron Ness (Minnesota WCHA)
Cam Fowler (Windsor Spitfires OHL)
John Moore (Colorado College WCHA/Kitchener OHL)
Adam Comrie (Saginaw Spirit OHL)
William Wrenn (Denver WCHA)

*I could see him playing in the NHL or the AHL (He's allowed to play in the AHL next season because he wasn't drafted out of the OHL) next season.

Jordan Schroeder (Minnesota WCHA)
Danny Kristo (North Dakota WCHA)
Tyler Johnson (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Mitch Wahl (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Jeremy Morin (Kitchener Rangers OHL)
Drew Shore (Denver University WCHA)
Philip McRae (London Knights OHL)
Vinny Saponari (Boston University Hockey East)
AJ Jenks (Plymouth Whalers OHL)
Derek Stepan (Wisconsin WCHA)
David Wohlberg (Michigan CCHA)
Kyle Palmieri (Notre Dame CCHA)
Mike Cichy (North Dakota WCHA)

I like the team that you have picked, and I honestly feel that your selections will closer resemble the actual team then mine. And in my opinion, that will be unfortunate. The D is awesome no matter how you go, most people have the same top 6, and Aaron Ness imo would really have to be explosive to make this team with Moore, Gardiner, and Carlson as the puck moving locks already.

This group of forwards really has no dynamic aspect to it, with very little size, and very little differences between the bottom 7 forwards. I think that USA will snub some CHL Americans again (at forward), and that is where the bulk of the talent really is. I like Wohlberg and Stepan, both are excellent two way forwards, but I am just not convinced that they can really offer much at this tournament.

I am a fan of Tyler Johnson, as he is a hard working spark plug, but I really do not see him making this squad..really didn't do much last year to justify a reselection, and with many of the better forwards from the CHL, I would rather have them select Yogan, Watson, Jenks, McRae, etc. over him.

No Chris Kreider? I would take him on this team for his skating alone! I guess we will have to see how his freshmen year starts, but I really cannot see him not being selected for this squad if he has even an average start to the year.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
One kid I think that is constantly overlooked - Dave Warsofsky. He's incredibly smart and skilled. I realize he's not the biggest kid, but he has incredibly offensive ability and he's very solid defensively as well. I would take him over Aaron Ness in a heartbeat, who is comparable.

I agree. I think he's a lock for the team to be honest.

This group of forwards really has no dynamic aspect to it, with very little size, and very little differences between the bottom 7 forwards. I think that USA will snub some CHL Americans again (at forward), and that is where the bulk of the talent really is. I like Wohlberg and Stepan, both are excellent two way forwards, but I am just not convinced that they can really offer much at this tournament.

I am a fan of Tyler Johnson, as he is a hard working spark plug, but I really do not see him making this squad..really didn't do much last year to justify a reselection, and with many of the better forwards from the CHL, I would rather have them select Yogan, Watson, Jenks, McRae, etc. over him.

I don't think they'll snub anyone who'll make a difference at forward. The CHL guys who've been "snubbed" in recent years really weren't difference makers. The last guy I'd call a true snub was Bobby Ryan. Tangradi, Bowman and Wahl didn't make a difference last year and I'm sure they wouldn't have made a difference the previous year, where many felt they would have. Heck, there were people pushing for AJ Jenks to make the team as a 17 year old and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him not make it this year. Even if he does, can you really imagine him being the difference between a medal or no medal?

The sad fact is, I don't think there are enough good players to force USA Hockey into that corner. Then again, I'm sure if the team does poorly we'll have a bunch of people saying this guy or that guy should have been there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I agree. I think he's a lock for the team to be honest.

I don't think they'll snub anyone who'll make a difference at forward. The CHL guys who've been "snubbed" in recent years really weren't difference makers. The last guy I'd call a true snub was Bobby Ryan. Tangradi, Bowman and Wahl didn't make a difference last year and I'm sure they wouldn't have made a difference the previous year, where many felt they would have. Heck, there were people pushing for AJ Jenks to make the team as a 17 year old and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him not make it this year. Even if he does, can you really imagine him being the difference between a medal or no medal?

The sad fact is, I don't think there are enough good players to force USA Hockey into that corner. Then again, I'm sure if the team does poorly we'll have a bunch of people saying this guy or that guy should have been there.

Good points, although I really think it's factors besides player quality that have prevented the U.S. from being successful over the last few years. Coaching has been a huge letdown, and I hope to see that improve this year with Blais behind the bench. I also agree that the CHL/NCAA debate is pretty bogus. The U.S. brass should take the best team, regardless of what league the players come from.

hockeyDude09

Jul 20, 2009
Defense:
Jake Gardiner - USHL
John Moore - USHL
John Carlson - CHL
Adam Comrie - CHL
Beau Schmitz - CHL
Cam Fowler - NTDP
William Wrenn - NTDP

Forwards:
Philip McRae - CHL
Jordan Schroeder - NCAA
Mitch Wahl - CHL
David Wohlberg - NCAA
Andrew Yogan - CHL
A.J. Jenks - CHL
Ryan Bourque - NTDP
Jeremy Morin - NTDP
Danny Kristo - USHL
Zach Budish - HS
Chris Kreider - HS
Vinny Saponari - NCAA
Kenny Ryan – NTDP

Goalies:
Mike Lee
Brandon Maxwell

I know my lines are very different from what's been posted so far. CHL players will be the difference this time:nod:...they simply can battle given the chance. Canada wins year after year with CHL players...so why not?

Tidbit:
Here is an approximate breakdown of games played for all the respective leagues before tournament starts. It's about being battle tested before the tournament starts. It does make a difference just look at Canada again! If USA does not change and start doing things differently we will be without a metal again!

CHL: 40 Games (including 5 exhibition)
NTDP: 25 Games
USHL: 24 Games
NCAA: 18 Games

Each of these lines has its own flavor/mix of character and skill.

1. McRae, Wahl, Schroeder (all skill with added "in your face" from Wahl and McRae)
2. Wohlberg, Jenks, Morin (great mix that will suprise us all)
3. Kreider, Kristo ,Saponari (great speed / energy line)
4. Bourque, Yogan, Buddish (what can I say Bourque skates freely and scores often while the other two bang the crap out of the opposition)
Ryan (will see limited time)

D - Pairings
Carlson - Comrie
Gardiner - Moore
Schmitz - Cam Fowler
Wrenn

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Defense:
Jake Gardiner - USHL
John Moore - USHL
John Carlson - CHL
Adam Comrie - CHL
Beau Schmitz - CHL
Cam Fowler - NTDP
William Wrenn - NTDP

Forwards:
Philip McRae - CHL
Jordan Schroeder - NCAA
Mitch Wahl - CHL
David Wohlberg - NCAA
Andrew Yogan - CHL
A.J. Jenks - CHL
Ryan Bourque - NTDP
Jeremy Morin - NTDP
Danny Kristo - USHL
Zach Budish - HS
Chris Kreider - HS
Vinny Saponari - NCAA
Kenny Ryan – NTDP

Goalies:
Mike Lee
Brandon Maxwell

I know my lines are very different from what's been posted so far. CHL players will be the difference this time:nod:...they simply can battle given the chance. Canada wins year after year with CHL players...so why not?

Tidbit:
Here is an approximate breakdown of games played for all the respective leagues before tournament starts. It's about being battle tested before the tournament starts. It does make a difference just look at Canada again! If USA does not change and start doing things differently we will be without a metal again!

1. McRae, Wahl, Schroeder (all skill with added "in your face" from Wahl and McRae)
4. Bourque, Yogan, Buddish (what can I say Bourque skates freely and scores often while the other two bang the crap out of the opposition)

D - Pairings
Carlson - Comrie
Gardiner - Moore
Schmitz - Cam Fowler
Wrenn

This team is pretty close to the way I see it.

Ill switch the pairings a little.

Carlson and Fowler are the natural top pairing. Carlson is a righty, Folwer a lefty, and the 2 best defensemen. Wrenn is a physical shut down type and a righty, pair him up with Moore who is a lefty and and a puck mover. Then piece together Gardiner, Comrie and Schmitz.

No way Palmieri doesnt make the team. If they had a grudge against him, they wouldnt invite him to camp, same with Maxwell. Saponari shouldnt be on the team.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Defense:
Jake Gardiner - USHL
John Moore - USHL
John Carlson - CHL
Adam Comrie - CHL
Beau Schmitz - CHL
Cam Fowler - NTDP
William Wrenn - NTDP

Forwards:
Philip McRae - CHL
Jordan Schroeder - NCAA
Mitch Wahl - CHL
David Wohlberg - NCAA
Andrew Yogan - CHL
A.J. Jenks - CHL
Ryan Bourque - NTDP
Jeremy Morin - NTDP
Danny Kristo - USHL
Zach Budish - HS
Chris Kreider - HS
Vinny Saponari - NCAA
Kenny Ryan – NTDP

Goalies:
Mike Lee
Brandon Maxwell

Tidbit:

D - Pairings
Carlson - Comrie
Gardiner - Moore
Schmitz - Cam Fowler
Wrenn

John Carlson isn't going to be in the CHL, he'll be in the AHL (if not the NHL). I don't know if they'll release him to go... they might, since it sounds like he'd want to go, but you never know what the teams' situations will be at the time.

hockeyDude09

Jul 20, 2009
John Carlson isn't going to be in the CHL, he'll be in the AHL (if not the NHL). I don't know if they'll release him to go... they might, since it sounds like he'd want to go, but you never know what the teams' situations will be at the time.

Carlson cant play in th AHL (chl to ahl rule must be 20yrs old)....and NHL may be a stretch at this point.

Otherwise he would not have even been invited to camp.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Carlson cant play in th AHL (chl to ahl rule must be 20yrs old)....and NHL may be a stretch at this point.

The rule doesn't affect Carlson, since he wasn't drafted from the CHL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I like Wohlberg and Stepan, both are excellent two way forwards, but I am just not convinced that they can really offer much at this tournament.

On the other hand, this is the kind of tournament where someone like Tommy Pyatt was one of Canada's best players. You don't necessarily have to be absolute top end talent to do well at the WJCs

And I don't know about Wohlberg, but Stepan is a pretty damn talented player as well.

As for Kreider, I hope he makes it, but it'll probably depend on how quickly he adapts to the college game. If he's the real deal, he could help the USA a lot because of his size and speed.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Yes he can, he's a USHLer as far as the NHL is concerned (time of draft).

And no, the NHL isn't a stretch. The only thing that's missing at this point is a roster spot really, if anyone's injured he's probably the first callup (still behind Alzner, but I think they make room for Alzner before the season starts).

I could see them maybe releasing him to play in the WJC's if he's in Hershey at the time, as they have a crapload of young Dmen, and even if none of them are as good as Carlson they can afford to miss him for a stretch. If he's in the NHL at the time, though, all bets are probably off.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

The rule doesn't affect Carlson, since he wasn't drafted from the CHL.

Yes he can, he's a USHLer as far as the NHL is concerned (time of draft).

And no, the NHL isn't a stretch. The only thing that's missing at this point is a roster spot really, if anyone's injured he's probably the first callup (still behind Alzner, but I think they make room for Alzner before the season starts).

I could see them maybe releasing him to play in the WJC's if he's in Hershey at the time, as they have a crapload of young Dmen, and even if none of them are as good as Carlson they can afford to miss him for a stretch. If he's in the NHL at the time, though, all bets are probably off.

Its not based on merely being drafted out of the CHL but is based on being drafted from a NA league. A 19yo can't leave the NCAA and jump to the AHL but instead would have to play in the USHL or CHL for a year if they didn't make the NHL squad. This is the same situation with Carlson, jumping from the USHL to the CHL; it doesn't give him a waiver for the under 20 AHL rule. Exceptions to the rule are with Euros, being that they were drafted while playing in a European league; a Euro playing in the CHL, NCAA or USHL fall under NA rules pertaining to the AHL.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Its not based on merely being drafted out of the CHL but is based on being drafted from a NA league. A 19yo can't leave the NCAA and jump to the AHL but instead would have to play in the USHL or CHL for a year if they didn't make the NHL squad. This is the same situation with Carlson, jumping from the USHL to the CHL; it doesn't give him a waiver for the under 20 AHL rule. Exceptions to the rule are with Euros, being that they were drafted while playing in a European league; a Euro playing in the CHL, NCAA or USHL fall under NA rules pertaining to the AHL.

Yes it does. The agreement is with the CHL. The Capitals have already confirmed this, he's playing in the AHL at worst next season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's not right. (edit: meant that towards Old Navy Goat)

Take Chris Bourque for example. I don't remember where he was drafted out of (high school or USHL), but he went to play college at BU for part of one year, and then went to play in the AHL.

He played in the AHL the year immediately after he was drafted (drafted in 2004, played in the AHL the same year and then fulltime the next year when he was still under 20)

The whole 20 year old thing is strictly for those drafted out of the CHL

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
from the rangers id expect kreider stepan to be there. maybe bourque if he has a great year. stepan had a great year for wisconsin last year and plays in all situations.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Chris Wideman is the dark horse here.
He will make the team and be an impact at the WJC.

Wow really, thats great to hear as a Sens fan.

I didn't get a chance to go see the development camp this season but I heard that he wasn't overly impressive. What can we expect form him in the future? Who would be a comparable player

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Thing I like about the US team is there are always all these prospects I haven't seen (some haven't even heard of) because they are NCAA not CHL.

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Wow really, thats great to hear as a Sens fan.

I didn't get a chance to go see the development camp this season but I heard that he wasn't overly impressive. What can we expect form him in the future? Who would be a comparable player

The kid can really thread the needle for a defenseman. His outlet pass is second to none. He can also spring the breakaway pass extremely well. (You can tell by his stats).
0-26-26 as a true freshman.
Originally he was going to play 2 years in the USHL and go into Miami in 09, but for whatever reason went in 08.
I would compare him to a more physical Andrei Markov but less goal scoring or maybe a more physical Sergei Zubov with less scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad