WJC: WJC Rosters - United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Mike Lee (St. Cloud State 09-10)
Jack Campbell (USA U-18) or Connor Knapp (Miami OH)

John Carlson (London Knights OHL)*
Jake Gardiner (Wisconsin WCHA)
Aaron Ness (Minnesota WCHA)
Cam Fowler (Windsor Spitfires OHL)
John Moore (Colorado College WCHA/Kitchener OHL)
Adam Comrie (Saginaw Spirit OHL)
William Wrenn (Denver WCHA)

*I could see him playing in the NHL or the AHL (He's allowed to play in the AHL next season because he wasn't drafted out of the OHL) next season.

Jordan Schroeder (Minnesota WCHA)
Danny Kristo (North Dakota WCHA)
Tyler Johnson (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Mitch Wahl (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Jeremy Morin (Kitchener Rangers OHL)
Drew Shore (Denver University WCHA)
Philip McRae (London Knights OHL)
Vinny Saponari (Boston University Hockey East)
AJ Jenks (Plymouth Whalers OHL)
Derek Stepan (Wisconsin WCHA)
David Wohlberg (Michigan CCHA)
Kyle Palmieri (Notre Dame CCHA)
Mike Cichy (North Dakota WCHA)

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
If McRae isn't in the top 6 for USA, something is wrong. This kid is so damn skilled it's not even funny.
Dominated the prospects camp in St. Louis with Simon Hjalmarsson and T.J. Oshie.

He's really going to be something special!

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Mike Lee (St. Cloud State 09-10)
Jack Campbell (USA U-18) or Connor Knapp (Miami OH)

John Carlson (London Knights OHL)*
Jake Gardiner (Wisconsin WCHA)
Aaron Ness (Minnesota WCHA)
Cam Fowler (Windsor Spitfires OHL)
John Moore (Colorado College WCHA/Kitchener OHL)
Adam Comrie (Saginaw Spirit OHL)
William Wrenn (Denver WCHA)

*I could see him playing in the NHL or the AHL (He's allowed to play in the AHL next season because he wasn't drafted out of the OHL) next season.

Jordan Schroeder (Minnesota WCHA)
Danny Kristo (North Dakota WCHA)
Tyler Johnson (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Mitch Wahl (Spokane Chiefs WHL)
Jeremy Morin (Kitchener Rangers OHL)
Drew Shore (Denver University WCHA)
Philip McRae (London Knights OHL)
Vinny Saponari (Boston University Hockey East)
AJ Jenks (Plymouth Whalers OHL)
Derek Stepan (Wisconsin WCHA)
David Wohlberg (Michigan CCHA)
Kyle Palmieri (Notre Dame CCHA)
Mike Cichy (North Dakota WCHA)

Carlson is definitely going to be in the AHL next year at worst (but I doubt he can make the NHL right out of camp just because there's not really a spot for him right now).

The only question is whether he'd be released to go play in the WJCs. I'm guessing he would if he really wanted to go, as long as the Caps didn't look to need him as a callup at that point. It might be funny to see him snub USA Hockey this year after they snubbed him last year, though. :sarcasm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Any American fans want to make a comment on your team? In my point of view, that American squad is looking kinda weak compared to the last couple years. Pretty Weak in all 3 positions...

In your view? Wow, let me compose myself here before continuing........

A lot of turnover in this year's roster. Not as much top end talent, but IMO a more complete team overall. The most important change is Blais as the head coach. He's much more qualified to lead this squad than Ron Rolston, who appeared a bit in over his head. Here's who I'd like to see on the team:

Goaltenders (x2):

Mike Lee
Brandon Maxwell

I think Maxwell's going to surprise some folks this year. He's had a good showing at the Avs development camp and if he has a good start in the OHL might be hard to leave off the team. I think it speaks volumes that, despite his rough association with USA Hockey last season, he was still named to the evaluation camp roster. Campbell is the future of USA Hockey goaltending, but he is just too young at this point.

Defensemen (x7):

John Carlson/Adam Comrie
Cam Fowler/Jake Gardiner
John Moore/William Wrenn
Matt Donovan

A pretty well-balanced group. Fowler, Carlson, and Moore are studs. Comrie has excellent size, Wrenn is a beast defensively, and Gardiner and Donovan are nice PP choices. Good size overall as well.

Forwards (x13):

Schroeder-McRae-Morin
Palmieri-Stepan-Wahl
Shore-Bourque-Budish
Yogan-Ryan-Kristo
Krieder

This will be the toughest part of the team to name. A lot of very similar players, so it should come down to who is playing the best at the time. Some underrated skill IMO.

With good goaltending, this team will challenge for a medal.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Heres mine from a month ago.

Ill take a shot at the team I would pick.

Goalie depends on how Maxwell starts out in Kitchener. If he starts out well, I think he is Lee's back-up. No matter how good Campbell is or will be, I highly doubt they take a 17 year old goalie, unless Maxwell is getting torched, even if their grooming him for next tournament.

Defense - Locks
Carlson
Comrie
Fowler
Moore
Gardiner

I think Wrenn may be pretty close to a lock, because you need a big, physical presence that can skate. At the 7th spot Id probably take Beau Schmitz. He can skate, move the puck, and is more physical then his size would indicate. Plus he got better and better as the year went on, and could see him really coming out of the gate strong with confidence.

Forwards I dont think Kristo or Johnson are locks. Theyve not taken returnees with a year of eligibility left before, I can see them not taking these 2. Both looked in over their heads last year, and could be over taken by a good 91 crop.

Locks
Schroeder
Wahl
McRae
Morin
Palmieri

I think with good starts Budish and Kreider could make really good cases, and I think Yogan will keep getting better and stronger as he did over last season. Ill assume 2 of those 3 make it, and start off strong, so thats 7. The last 5 spots Id probably take Bourque as a skill player, and fill the last 4 in with 2-way guys like Wohlberg, Ryan, D'amigo, and Shore.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Oshniak;20403953[B said:
]If McRae isn't in the top 6 for USA, something is wrong[/B]. This kid is so damn skilled it's not even funny.
Dominated the prospects camp in St. Louis with Simon Hjalmarsson and T.J. Oshie.

He's really going to be something special!

I agree he's a skilled guy, but the consistency isn't always there with him. The guy will have a couple amazing shifts then dissapear for a period. I think you need your most consistent guys on the top two lines. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him on the 3rd line because of all the other talent on the team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
And Slovakia? :)

lol. I know Johnson and Kristo are not as highly touted but they were still on the team last year and it would take horrible camp performances to keep them off the roster thats why I inluded them I could have easily chose more skilled forwards.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
There's always the chance that a player not at the Evaluation Camp will make the final team, but last year that didn't happen, so I'm operatiing under the assumption that doesn't happen again. Of course, with Blais at the helm that's not a certainty.

GOALTENDERS (4)
*Jack Campbell
Connor Knapp
*Mike Lee
Brandon Maxwell

They go with youth for Lee's backup

DEFENSEMEN (15)
*John Carlson
*Adam Comrie
Matt Donovan
*Cam Fowler
*Jake Gardiner
Nick Leddy
Sean Lorenz
*John Moore
Aaron Ness
Philip Samuelsson
Beau Schmitz
David Warsofsky
*Patrick Wey
Chris Wideman
*William Wrenn

Wey will start out strong at BC and will be the surprise selection on the blueline

FORWARDS (24)
Ryan Bourque
*Zach Budish
*Mike Cichy
*Robbie Czarnik
Jerry D’Amigo
Justin Florek
AJ Jenks
*Tyler Johnson
Chris Kreider
*Danny Kristo
Kevin Lynch
Tyler Maxwell
*Philip McRae
*Jeremy Morin
*Kyle Palmieri
*Kenny Ryan
Vinny Saponari
*Jordan Schroeder
*Drew Shore
*Derek Stepan
A.J. Treais
*Mitch Wahl
David Wohlberg
Andrew Yogan

Budish won't have stats, but his size is a neccesity

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
With Blum, Shattenkirk, and Wilson all not returning who are the candidates for captaincy?

Deigler

May 11, 2009
should've USA given Joe cannata a chance i mean this kid played good on a horrible team

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
John Carlson probably won't play in the WJC. He's going to be in the AHL next year, and possibly the NHL.

Boudreau was asked "What do you think about Carlson possibly playing in the WJC this year?" Boudreau responded, "What do I think?...Why the hell wasn't he there last year?"

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
John Carlson probably won't play in the WJC. He's going to be in the AHL next year, and possibly the NHL.

Boudreau was asked "What do you think about Carlson possibly playing in the WJC this year?" Boudreau responded, "What do I think?...Why the hell wasn't he there last year?"

The thing that makes me wonder is, if Carlson, Orlov, and Gustafsson all make the Bears this year, are they all going to get released for the WJCs?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This should be another solid team all around. The defence is excellent, the forwards are solid all around, and the goaltending could be legit...but the major difference is in the coaching. Blias baby! Thank you Jesus! There should be no excuse for why the US has underperformed the past 5 years with all that talent they have year in and out. I have high expectations for this squad, and not just because of the talent, but because of it's new leader.

Goaltending is usually an issue with the US, and this year will be no exception...But I still feel much more confident in Lee and Campbell over what we had last year. Either one can steal the show, and what a show that would be for the draft eligible Campbell.

Here is my US squad.

FORWARDS (13)
Jordan Schroeder
Chris Krieder
Zach Buddish
Mitch Wahl
Drew Shore
Jeremy Morin
Kyle Palmieri
Andrew Yogan
Austin Watson
Phil McRae
A.J Jenks
Danny Kristo
Kenny Ryan

DEFENCE (7)
John Carlson
Jake Gardiner
John Moore
Cam Fowler
Adam Comrie
Seth Helgeson
William Wrenn

GOALTENDING (2)
Mike Lee
Jack Campbell

LINES
1. Kreider, Wahl, Schroeder
2. Palmieri, McRae, Morin
3. Shore, Kristo, Watson
4. Jenks, Yogan, Buddish
Ryan

FORWARDS-
My group is pretty darn big!
Size will not be an issue here. They could go with a monster 4th line of Yogan, Buddish, and Jenks. That would be punishing. Austin Watson is my wild card. If he has the monster year that I feel he will, you better believe his 6'3 185 frame makes this squad, and could even do it in a top 6 role. I didn't want to go with too many 2010 eligible kids, but Yogan, Fowler, Campbell, and Watson are blue chips. Keep an eye out for Morin, he could be the steal of the draft, and really add scoring punch and depth to this team.

The player to keep an eye on the most is....Chris Krieder. If he is as legit as he looks, he should have no problem anchoring a top 6 role on this club despite being a freshmen this year. If he doesnt rise to the occassion, the US will not have the top stud line that we have been blessed with in the past.

A lot of CHL picks here, but hopefully they start taking the best picks possible and McRae, Yogan, Wahl are that. Jenks may be a stretch, but if his foot speed picks up, he is a perfect crash and burn 4th line guy.

DEFENCE-
Excellent all around group. Big, mean, mobile and nasty. Comrie, Helgeson, Fowler and Wrenn are all solidly built, and not afraid to lower the boom. Moore and Gardiner are the slick puck movers that this team covets, and John Carlson is the big stud shot from the point. I really like what this group can offer all around.

GOALTENDING-
It is Mike Lee's show, but if he falters, Jack Campbell is the right choice to fill the void. This kid is the best thing we have had in awhile, and I honestly hope he gets that chance to shine. It is a lot to ask out of such a young kid, but I have confidence in his all world skill as well as Mike's. He is the best 2010 draft eligible goalie in the world, lets see what he can do on the big stage.

CAPTAIN
Mitch Wahl

ALTERNATE CAPTAINS
Jordan Schroeder
Drew Shore

I think it will be way too much to ask from Cam Fowler to be either the Captain or Alternate Captain. Mitch Wahl fits the bill as a perfect C for this squad. His work ethic, leadership, and team play easily qualifies him for either the C or A.

Drew Shore is an international tournament warrior, and imo he was born to be a leader on this squad. Schroeder has the experience of previous tournaments, so you have to give him at least an A for that alone.

Last edited:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
This should be another solid team all around. The defence is excellent, the forwards are solid all around, and the goaltending could be legit...but the major difference is in the coaching. Blias baby! Thank you Jesus! There should be no excuse for why the US has underperformed the past 5 years with all that talent they have year in and out. I have high expectations for this squad, and not just because of the talent, but because of it's new leader.

Goaltending is usually an issue with the US, and this year will be no exception...But I still feel much more confident in Lee and Campbell over what we had last year. Either one can steal the show, and what a show that would be for the draft eligible Campbell.

Here is my US squad.

FORWARDS
Jordan Schroeder
Chris Krieder
Zach Buddish
Mitch Wahl
Drew Shore
Jeremy Morin
Kyle Palmieri
Andrey Yogan
Austin Watson
Phil McRae
A.J Jenks
Danny Kristo

DEFENCE
John Carlson
Jake Gardiner
John Moore
Cam Fowler
Adam Comrie
Seth Helgeson
William Wrenn

GOALTENDING
Mike Lee
Jack Campbell

LINES
1. Kreider, Wahl, Schroeder
2. Palmieri, McRae, Morin
3. Shore, Kristo, Watson
4. Jenks, Yogan, Buddish

FORWARDS-
My group is pretty darn big!
Size will not be an issue here. They could go with a monster 4th line of Yogan, Buddish, and Jenks. That would be punishing. Austin Watson is my wild card. If he has the monster year that I feel he will, you better believe his 6'3 185 frame makes this squad, and could even do it in a top 6 role. I didn't want to go with too many 2010 eligible kids, but Yogan, Fowler, Campbell, and Watson are blue chips. Keep an eye out for Morin, he could be the steal of the draft, and really add scoring punch and depth to this team.

The player to keep an eye on the most is....Chris Krieder. If he is as legit as he looks, he should have no problem anchoring a top 6 role on this club despite being a freshmen this year. If he doesnt rise to the occassion, the US will not have the top stud line that we have been blessed with in the past.

A lot of CHL picks here, but hopefully they start taking the best picks possible and McRae, Yogan, Wahl are that. Jenks may be a stretch, but if his foot speed picks up, he is a perfect crash and burn 4th line guy.

DEFENCE-
Excellent all around group. Big, mean, mobile and nasty. Comrie, Helgeson, Fowler and Wrenn are all solidly built, and not afraid to lower the boom. Moore and Gardiner are the slick puck movers that this team covets, and John Carlson is the big stud shot from the point. I really like what this group can offer all around.

GOALTENDING-
It is Mike Lee's show, but if he falters, Jack Campbell is the right choice to fill the void. This kid is the best thing we have had in awhile, and I honestly hope he gets that chance to shine. It is a lot to ask out of such a young kid, but I have confidence in his all world skill as well as Mike's. He is the best 2010 draft eligible goalie in the world, lets see what he can do on the big stage.

I like the team youve picked. Just a few notes.

I think Kreider is destined for 3rd or 4th line role on this team. I know hes a high pick, and should definitely make the team, but hes more potential then production at this point. He isnt a refined scorer right now, and hes jumping from 11th grade preps to Hockey East. I think he talented enough to start out strong at BC, I just dont think he cracks the top 6 forwards yet, but I could be wrong.

I agree, Im expecting Watson to have a monster year. That should at least get him noticed, but theres alot of good US 92s out there, and Im not sure theyll pull the trigger and add him. Hes gotta compete with Saad, Nieto, Zucker, Etem, etc. If hes on Windsors top line and putting up a PPG, it would be tough to ignore.

Im expecting an even bigger year from Yogan. He came out of Florida, and its taken 2 years for him to grow into his body. Last year he showed glimpses. This year I think hes a fast riser, and has a chance to physically dominate, as well as put up huge point totals. I think its a fair assumption, if all goes well, he could be a top 6 forward on this team, and a top 20 NHL pick.

I agree on Morin. Would not surprise me at all if he led the US in scoring at this tournament.

I think everyone is basically in agreement on the top 6 US defensemen. I think Carlson is in the AHL to start and a part of the blueline. Not enough room on the Caps top 6 yet, and he could use a half a year in the AHL. Carlson, Fowler, Moore, Comrie all OHL players, and add in Gardiner and Wrenn. Alot of different opinions on the 7th, but as long as they go in with that top 6, I think were off to a good start.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If I'm Carlson, I think that snub last year lingers a bit.

If he doesn't make it this year, then there really is a fix out against the Hunters and Carlson. He should have been on the team last year.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Who do you guys think will get the most points for both the forward and defense postition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad