PGT: WJC Quarter Finals: Game 22 | Switzerland Eliminate Sweden 2-0

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
It's not that you lose. It's how you lose it. This was a disgrace. Totally pathetic. Regardless of all other variables, they couldn't connect passes that 7 year olds can make. For most of the game. They should just have thrown in the towel and went home to practice at the basics after 2 periods. I mean, even when there were no obstacles, they couldn't pass a frigging puck. I miss words.

Maybe, or perhaps the FLU really got into them.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Well the own players say this flue dident affected them and that Swiss was the better team so just dropp that :D

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
After all those heartbreaking losses through way too many sports against our Kryptonite nation over the last few years, this feels pretty sweet from a Swiss perspective.

That said, this Swedish team played the most anaemic hockey, by their standarts, I've seen in ages. This flu stuff might really took the energy out of their game. No urge, no poise.

While the Swiss played their heart out and an excellent tactical game, I don't think they played at the ceiling of their talent. The 1st line wasn't as good as in the previous games, Eggenberger and Müller still are capable to be more effectiv. Gerber, after a good start, somehow looked more and more overwhelmed by the competition and rightfully lost his spot.

Leuenberger is physically and mentally very mature, had a heck of a game. Lehmann strong again. Nussbaumer and Bruschweiler have found their game. Hollenstein obviously fantastic.

But what really makes this team special, is the depth on defense. Normally we might have one strong pairing, 2 is an exception, but 3 so solid pairings, that's really luxury. Even more so with the Nr.1 D-man out. Moser makes hardly any mistake, and if Berni improves his pointshot he'll be a future all-around force, has clearly overtaken Gross in development.

Overall a fantastic day for Swiss hockey!

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Just got back from watching the game live in person.

Sandin disappointed. Boqvist looked bad. Even Brannstrom was subpar. All of our 1st round pick defencemen disappointed today. They were supposed to be the big advantage Sweden had over the Swiss, but man for man they were outplayed by the anonymous Swiss defence.

Fair result, congratulations Switzerland.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
But what really makes this team special, is the depth on defense. Normally we might have one strong pairing, 2 is an exception, but 3 so solid pairings, that's really luxury. Even more so with the Nr.1 D-man out. Moser makes hardly any mistake, and if Berni improves his pointshot he'll be a future all-around force, has clearly overtaken Gross in development.

And I guess that's one of the main reasons for the good games. Depth at D is essential. Aebischer is also really rising with the occasion. Moser is really, really good.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Sandin disappointed. Boqvist looked bad. Even Brannstrom was subpar. All of our 1st round pick defencemen disappointed today. They were supposed to be the big advantage Sweden had over the Swiss, but man for man they were outplayed by the anonymous Swiss defence.

Wouldn't say Brännström was subpar, he held it down shorthanded(and on that 3v5), & made things happen. Refs never gave him obvious calls this game or all tournament long, & he got called for a player going for a late hit on him. On the PP Swiss knew he was the PP: shut down Brännström and the PP is done with.

And when Monten finally realized Westerlund miiiiight not be a good option for a top D pairing it was too late.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Wow, great win for Switzerland! I had a feeling they’d pull off at least one upset in this tournament, and after failing to do so against the Czechs, Canada, and Russia, they’ve done it when it matters most.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Boqvist go beat wide once but how did he look bad other than that? He created quite a few opportunities all game.I 100% could have missed somethings as I watched it at work.

I thought the Swed's forwards really struggled.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
And I guess that's one of the main reasons for the good games. Depth at D is essential. Aebischer is also really rising with the occasion. Moser is really, really good.

A dominant offense, that keeps the game on the other side of the rink, might make a strong defense redundant though.
I always thought the older the boys grow, the more important gets the D-quality. At u18 level offense dominates, at u-20 to a lesser amount, and on senior level strong D is a neccessity.

Aebischer always had talent whit the puck on his stick, now he seems to have learned a lot away from it as well overseas. Didn't expect this level of consistency. A fine surprise.

Only Barandun struggles a bit at the moment. But he's still a promising talent.
And all but Le Coultre and Burger are eligible next year.

Dmytro

Jan 2, 2019
So frustrated with how Swedes lost this game. I have no other logical explanation to that except for flu. They couldn't do basics indeed. If not flu then what? Panic, overly worried, couldn't cope with a pressure? Better lose a game or two in a group but then fight in play-offs...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Only Barandun struggles a bit at the moment. But he's still a promising talent.
And all but Le Coultre and Burger are eligible next year.

I think he's still not fit after the check in the Canada-game. Barandun was great vs. CZE.
Yeah, 5 returning D-men (and also 2 returning goalies) is promising, we need some new offense though. ;)

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
After all those heartbreaking losses through way too many sports against our Kryptonite nation over the last few years, this feels pretty sweet from a Swiss perspective.

That said, this Swedish team played the most anaemic hockey, by their standarts, I've seen in ages. This flu stuff might really took the energy out of their game. No urge, no poise.

While the Swiss played their heart out and an excellent tactical game, I don't think they played at the ceiling of their talent. The 1st line wasn't as good as in the previous games, Eggenberger and Müller still are capable to be more effectiv. Gerber, after a good start, somehow looked more and more overwhelmed by the competition and rightfully lost his spot.

Leuenberger is physically and mentally very mature, had a heck of a game. Lehmann strong again. Nussbaumer and Bruschweiler have found their game. Hollenstein obviously fantastic.

Overall a fantastic day for Swiss hockey!

I'll be rooting hard for you guys in the semis, both because Swiss fans deserve to finally get a gold and because Finns become truly insufferable the few times they win something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad