WJC Group A: Dec 28 GDT - Canada vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Gotta say that I loved the poise of Staal and Parent. Barker played his best game yet and Bourdon played fine.

In my opinion Downie and Boyd were the best forwards. They consistently played hard nosed and created chances. Pouliot and Comeau also played well.

Can't wait until saturday. That is going to be a heck of a game.

Sutter has to let the team know, however, that they can't overlook Norway. That being said, I am going to overlook them and am looking forward to the U.S. game. That is going to be a barn burner.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm so tired of the complaining about refrees. They do their job, they call the penlaties. Stop complaining, it's so annoying listening to McGuire and his stuff like "this ref is a disgrace to the sport of hockey"

stop ****ing complaining, blame the stupid players who keep on taking penalties for christ's sake

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
FSU Seminoles said:
I'm so tired of the complaining about refrees. They do their job, they call the penlaties. Stop complaining, it's so annoying listening to McGuire and his stuff like "this ref is a disgrace to the sport of hockey"

stop ****ing complaining, blame the stupid players who keep on taking penalties for christ's sake
That's not their job. That's a part of their job.

And in this case, he didn't do his job right. Not even close. Which is too bad because no matter who wins or loses, it can really screw up a great tournament like this.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Raging Bull said:
Bottom line is if Canada plays a game like this against the Russians of U.S.A, they are done for.

The key is going to be to stay out of the penalty box. Considering that the Swiss scored 3 powerplay goals against them is NOT encouraging.

Malkin and friends or Bourque/kessel/skille/the johnsons and the gang could eat them alive.

STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
FSU Seminoles said:

PM did go way over the top about the referee, but the ref also made some VERY weak calls, even for 'call everything' standards.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I've been reminded why I hate playing the Swiss. The senior program is a joke, but the Swiss junior program has actually been pretty good for a while. They beat the Russians when the Russians won gold in 2001-02, and finished fourth in the tournament. They have one more medal (a bronze in 1998) than Sweden does since 1996. Remember that 2-1 game against Canada in Boston in 1995-96? Truth be told, the Swiss were fantastic in that game, and only an impeccable performance by Marc Denis kept Canada from being victimized by an upset. Even when we beat the Swiss 7-2 two years ago, the score was not indicative of the play, as Canada got a few goals late in the game.

Still, not an impressive performance by Canada. It didn't have the physical tone of the Finland game, and while that can be partially blamed on the bonehead reffing the game, you should still finish your checks. They lacked finish around the net and they weren't as crisp with their passes as against Finland. There were some boneheaded turnovers, too. I don't like seeing sub-par performances, but it's better now than against the Americans or in the medal round.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Pierre in the first period: "Alright I've had enough of this official, I'm not even going to talk about it any more, he shouldn't have any spotlight on him like he wants."

two minutes and thirty seconds later:

"............what a bogus call from the official. Man that official stinks. He should just let them play. This officiating is going to scare the players."

Just shut up Pierre.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
God Bless Canada said:
I've been reminded why I hate playing the Swiss. The senior program is a joke, but the Swiss junior program has actually been pretty good for a while. They beat the Russians when the Russians won gold in 2001-02, and finished fourth in the tournament. They have one more medal (a bronze in 1998) than Sweden does since 1996. Remember that 2-1 game against Canada in Boston in 1995-96? Truth be told, the Swiss were fantastic in that game, and only an impeccable performance by Marc Denis kept Canada from being victimized by an upset. Even when we beat the Swiss 7-2 two years ago, the score was not indicative of the play, as Canada got a few goals late in the game.

Still, not an impressive performance by Canada. It didn't have the physical tone of the Finland game, and while that can be partially blamed on the bonehead reffing the game, you should still finish your checks. They lacked finish around the net and they weren't as crisp with their passes as against Finland. There were some boneheaded turnovers, too. I don't like seeing sub-par performances, but it's better now than against the Americans or in the medal round.

Good post. Bottom line-----they got the 2 points. Try to learn from your mistakes and build on the effort.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
this game showed that canada has some SERIOUS work to do...there were so many stupid penalties (the ref was dumb too..but stupid penalties!), and their play was just off..they are gonna get into a lot of **** with brent sutter, and if they play like that against the americans..they will be eaten ALIVE!!!

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
The Swiss played one heck of a game and almost came out with a point... give them credit because it wasn't just the officials or Canada playing poorly, the Swiss played a great game especially their goaltender. For a guy who's considered by TSN to be the 13th forward on the team Downie seemed like he was out there every single shift, especially towards the end of the game. The guy played powerplay, penalty kill and even strength and was fully deserving of the team MVP. Canada did not bring it physically for some reason and that should be of concern. They also have to let Pogge see the puck more but for some reason I thought he looked shaky tonight. Fortunately, I thought Canada played a much stronger third period and although they didn't score, controlled the tempo of the period limiting the Swiss to just 3 shots I believe is what TSN was saying... I'm really looking forward to what Sutter and co. have to say after this game in terms of interviews and such.

Doggone Dawg

May 4, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
they will be eaten ALIVE!!![/QUOTE said:
I'll agree with that anyway...Kessel, Schremp, and Borque will eat this crew alive. They're simply not good enough. Blaming the ref is simply a sign of weakness...he made stupid calls both ways, but they won't be the last ones made by a ref in hockey. Suck it up.

Raging Bull said:
Pierre in the first period: "Alright I've had enough of this official, I'm not even going to talk about it any more, he shouldn't have any spotlight on him like he wants."

two minutes and thirty seconds later:

"............what a bogus call from the official. Man that official stinks. He should just let them play. This officiating is going to scare the players."

Just shut up Pierre.

He said he wouldn't say the ref's name again, not that he wouldn't talk about the officiating, which is what he literally did as he referred to him as "the referee" from then on.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
El_Scoobo said:
Gotta say that I loved the poise of Staal and Parent. Barker played his best game yet and Bourdon played fine.

In my opinion Downie and Boyd were the best forwards. They consistently played hard nosed and created chances. Pouliot and Comeau also played well.

Can't wait until saturday. That is going to be a heck of a game.

Sutter has to let the team know, however, that they can't overlook Norway. That being said, I am going to overlook them and am looking forward to the U.S. game. That is going to be a barn burner.

Aside from a couple of plays, Barker was by far our worst defenseman tonight. Sutter should play Pokoluk tomorrow and sit Barker and send him a message to wake the hell up. Canada needs to shoot the puck. That was just a horrible game. The officiating is no excuse because he called it bad both ways.

Transported Upstater

Nash said:
Aside from a couple of plays, Barker was by far our worst defenseman tonight. Sutter should play Pokoluk tomorrow and sit Barker and send him a message to wake the hell up. Canada needs to shoot the puck. That was just a horrible game. The officiating is no excuse because he called it bad both ways.

Maybe it's because I'm a Cornell alum and hockey fan, but based on what I've seen, I would never let Pokulok on my national team...

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Was it just me or was the Vancouver crowd extremely quiet tonight...

wow... it was just you :P I was at the game and it was pretty loud. It wasn't Canucks playoffs loud, but it was pretty crazy. I'd never been to a Canadian anything game, and to my pleasent surprise the atmosphere was amazing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
lanks said:
wow... it was just you :P I was at the game and it was pretty loud. It wasn't Canucks playoffs loud, but it was pretty crazy. I'd never been to a Canadian anything game, and to my pleasent surprise the atmosphere was amazing.
Compared to Halifax and Winnipeg it doesn't come close.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
why are people so upset. The Swiss always play Canada tough whether it's the men or Juniors. A one goal game is WAY BETTER then a blow out to learn.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT CANADA PLAYING AGAINST THE US LIKE THIS. THE US SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT PLAYING US.

STOP ANALYIZING AND WAKE UP. SLEEP THOU NORWAY AND LOOK OUT USA.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
El_Scoobo said:
Good post. Bottom line-----they got the 2 points. Try to learn from your mistakes and build on the effort.
Agreed. In the end, it doesn't matter how you win, just as long as you win. Still, it would be nice to see them avoid whatever happened today, whether it's "overconfident after outclassing a good Finnish team," "playing to the level of their opponent" or "already looking ahead to the Americans," because goals for/against differential will be critical.

Jazz

God Bless Canada said:
I've been reminded why I hate playing the Swiss. The senior program is a joke, but the Swiss junior program has actually been pretty good for a while. They beat the Russians when the Russians won gold in 2001-02, and finished fourth in the tournament. They have one more medal (a bronze in 1998) than Sweden does since 1996. Remember that 2-1 game against Canada in Boston in 1995-96? Truth be told, the Swiss were fantastic in that game, and only an impeccable performance by Marc Denis kept Canada from being victimized by an upset. Even when we beat the Swiss 7-2 two years ago, the score was not indicative of the play, as Canada got a few goals late in the game....

Agreed, their junior program is amongst the best in the world...they just need to translate that soon into medals at this event, an to the senior level as well.

Anyways, you can see here some photos I took at the game.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Are James Duthie, Pierre Mcguire, and Bob Mckenzie on crack when they suggest Jonathan Toews could surpass Phil Kessel in the draft? Horrible game for Toews.
I agree to some extent, but remember that Toews is an 88 while Kessel is an 87. Having said that, Toews hasn't done a whole lot for me either to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad