GDT: [WJC] Finland vs. Czechia, 2pm EST 11/8/22

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Even though I’m not the biggest fan of Lambert, I have to say that goddamn it was awful to see how little he was used in the 3 on 3 OT. Also an absolute brainfart was to not play Kemell at all in OT. Kemell just scored the decisive goal in OT against Canada this spring in the U18 WJC.

Some really strange decisions by Pennanen. I just really dislike this kind of coaching. Sure it can occasionally bring even somekind of success, but it’s just stupidly lacking any courage and innovation. One of the most boring coaches that I really know.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Even though I’m not the biggest fan of Lambert, I have to say that goddamn it was awful to see how little he was used in the 3 on 3 OT. Also an absolute brainfart was to not play Kemell at all in OT. Kemell just scored the decisive goal in OT against Canada this spring in the U18 WJC.

Some really strange decisions by Pennanen. I just really dislike this kind of coaching. Sure it can occasionally bring even somekind of success, but it’s just stupidly lacking any courage and innovation. One of the most boring coaches that I really know.

I honestly feel like our top players individual brilliance was the only thing that made this win possible and that sums it up pretty good.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I don't really know him that well - but he does seem rather rigid and arbitrary. Maybe there really is some ego there too, some irrational stubbornness.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What a game.
I have to be happy and satisfied for 2 points but honestly said these weren't deserved 2 points.
We should have got 0 points because that first 15 minutes from 1st period
was a total disgrace for Finnish hockey.

You can't play like that in any tournament if your goal is to win something.
Whole teams attitude should always be 150% whole goddamn 60 minutes
but when it isn't that first 15 minutes absolute bullshit is all what you got.

Hopefully after this game all those over-positive Finnish fans drop hard
down of their cloud-castles and take their brais out of ass and realize that honest fact
which is that WE ( Finland ) AREN'T GOLD MEDAL FAVORITES not now and not after Slovakia and Canada games.

If and i truly mean BIG IF all goes perfect and well we might have
a chance to compete and maybe win a Bronze.

But winning even bronze medal requires more hard work
and much better games immeaditely when puck drops agaisnt Slovakia.

Czech's shouldn't count out either and being honest i wouldn't be surprised to see them at least semifinals.
This U20 team Finland is passable team but is this a medal contender we'll see that later.

Reactions: Jaska

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Agreed, but the guy needs a bit speed and intensity around him because god damn, his not that mobile or quick.

Can't understand why he can't let Lambert and Järventie try to play together. Their strengths are different but could be a good match.
I don’t honestly agree about his skating, as to me he looks like an above average skater for his size. Sure he is not very agile, but not bad in it for his size still.

Remember that he is really quite a big player (191 cm and 95 kg), so he will not even look the same to the eye as some smaller players who move their feet quicker, but don’t have as long and strong strides as bigger players often have. It is the illusion that often happens with bigger players when you get stuck on watching too much their footspeed. It will lead you astray from what is essential.

I do though agree with you at least partially on Järventie’s intensity. He has developed with it clearly from last year as well, but that is a thing that I think he needs to develop even clearly more, if he wants to become a good NHL player. But I do see still some potential in him definitely. He has generally pretty good tools already. Just needs still more strength and intensity.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
We are playing better than I expected. The Slovaks are very weakened, so I wasn't sure how we were doing. But it's not bad. of course we could have had the extra point and it could have been important for the QF. But what can be done.
Congratulations to Finland, they are a very good team.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
What a game.
I have to be happy and satisfied for 2 points but honestly said these weren't deserved 2 points.
God, we are such a melodramatic hockey nation as far as the fans are concerned. We tend to win hockey games even if we don't play that well. It's pretty much a feature in the early phases of tournaments. This is not figure skating, there is no artistic impression. Win the game and forget about it, just be better in the next match. And we very, very often are.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
What a game.

You can't play like that in any tournament if your goal is to win something.
Whole teams attitude should always be 150% whole goddamn 60 minutes
but when it isn't that first 15 minutes absolute bullshit is all what you got.

Hopefully after this game all those over-positive Finnish fans drop hard
down of their cloud-castles and take their brais out of ass and realize that honest fact
which is that WE ( Finland ) AREN'T GOLD MEDAL FAVORITES not now and not after Slovakia and Canada games.

If and i truly mean BIG IF all goes perfect and well we might have
a chance to compete and maybe win a Bronze.

But winning even bronze medal requires more hard work
and much better games immeaditely when puck drops agaisnt Slovakia.

Czech's shouldn't count out either and being honest i wouldn't be surprised to see them at least semifinals.
This U20 team Finland is passable team but is this a medal contender we'll see that later.
Jesus christ almighty. This same exact thing happens every single time with every single tournament Finland plays, adult or juniors. First couple of games and people run to draw huge conclusions, c'mon.

Tournament is a process, Finnish hockey has one big thesis and it's to trust the system. I have said this over, over, over and over again. Any team can make Finland to look bad for a while, just press and skate like no tomorrow. Press and press boys!!

That machine always get's going, like today. Like yesterday. Like last WHC and before that. Whether it's enough for gold, it depends, small margins. But to draw conclusions after two games is just silly, if we had to place our bets after first couple of games during all past tournaments, we wouldn't have any medals ever. Calm down.

People who can't see past that, will always be surprised how we get medals after medals. Muhh they didn't look good against Latvia but managed to get to finals this must be rocket science or some sorcery. Dark arts bro, i bet that Pennanen is summoning some ghosts atm in his hotel room.

Last edited:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Jesus christ almighty. This same exact thing happens every single time with every single tournament Finland plays, adult or juniors. First couple of games and people run to draw huge conclusions, c'mon.

Tournament is a process, Finnish hockey has one big thesis and it's to trust the system. I have said this over, over, over and over again. Any team can make Finland to look bad for a while, just press and skate like no tomorrow. Press and press boys!!

That machine always get's going, like today. Like yesterday. Like last WHC and before that. Whether it's enough for gold, it depends, small margins. But to draw conclusions after two games is just silly, if we had to place our bets after first couple of games during all past tournaments, we wouldn't have any medals ever. Calm down.

People who can't see past that, will always be surprised how we get medals after medals. Muhh they didn't look good against Latvia but managed to get to finals this must be rocket science or some sorcery. Dark arts bro, i bet that Pennanen is summoning some ghosts atm in his hotel room.
To me Pennanen is looking like the ghost

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don't understand people shitting on Pennanen. Reminds me of reading about people shitting on Ahokas.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
The Czechs played a strong game it seems. Finland won only in penalty shooting. This is also a little luck. I couldn't watch the game.
Btw why do they play the U-20 WJC already now? If I'm not wrong it has been held always end of the year in December the previous years.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Raty-Hiro-Kemmell is fun to watch. We have the least talented of the 3, but still enjoy watching him play.

Thought Niemela would get more PP time.

Reactions: hn777

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
The Czechs played a strong game it seems. Finland won only in penalty shooting. This is also a little luck. I couldn't watch the game.
Btw why do they play the U-20 WJC already now? If I'm not wrong it has been held always end of the year in December the previous years.
This is the cancelled tournament from last December. Next tournament will be played in December as usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad