U18: WJC day 4 and 5 GDT

su24

Sep 30, 2017
58 shots on goal, 5 posts and a loss... The most entertaining Belarus team ever. 3 of the 4 goals were scored by the 2002 guys, which is a good sign for the future.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Happy we managed to win those two games against Switzerland and Finland. God knows what would happen in a relegation round vs Slovakia.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Serious question: should entire Slovak team and coaches be banned for life and never be allowed to represent national team again?
Sure sounds like a very Eastern European approach, go for it.

Neither the coaches, nor the team is to blame for losing to a better side. Latvia had close games against both Russia and Sweden, only collapsing very late inti both games.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Sure sounds like a very Eastern European approach, go for it.

Neither the coaches, nor the team is to blame for losing to a better side. Latvia had close games against both Russia and Sweden, only collapsing very late inti both games.
Thats true, but still is it only Latvia. This could not happen. I wish them best, though.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Thats true, but still is it only Latvia. This could not happen.
Let's be real here. The era of Slovakians being a powerhouse ended some 10 years ago. Just like Latvia, Norway, Denmark, Germany and others, Slovakia is 7th-12th team in the world. And over the years this group has become way more competitive.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Let's be real here. The era of Slovakians being a powerhouse ended some 10 years ago. Just like Latvia, Norway, Denmark, Germany and others, Slovakia is 7th-12th team in the world. And over the years this group has become way more competitive.
Yep, thats also true. Golden era is done.. But still, this is Latvia, and this team needs to beat them definitely.

And I am quite sure that Slovak hockey is still far better than those countries, except Germany. So I would say not 7th-12th team, but strong 8th or 9th position and than long nothing and than those countries like Norway, Denmark, France etc.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yep, thats also true. Golden era is done.. But still, this is Latvia, and this team needs to beat them definitely.

And I am quite sure that Slovak hockey is still far better than those countries, except Germany. So I would say not 7th-12th team, but strong 8th or 9th position and than long nothing and than those countries like Norway, Denmark, France etc.
What does that even mean? Latvia has got a better team this year. Deal with it.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
You mean the team that has lost every game in this tournament would beat a team that has rarely lost (I know we beat them in a pre-tournament friendly 1-0)?
Tampa just lost 4 straight after 62 wins. Anything can happen.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
What does that even mean? Latvia has got a better team this year. Deal with it.
Lets say, you have got a better team and very well organized, as well. Roster is different thing, though. Slovaks play in better leagues, there is a few players who will be drafted by NHL teams this year(Cajkovic, Hlavaj) and very likely next years also(Knazko, Chromiak). So, its unfortunate for them, how is tournament going. Thats my point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Finland gets good goaltending, they can beat us. Their other players also need to play much better.

I think our players will be very motivated to beat Finland. They lost last year in the Gold Medal game, they lost at the WJC in the gold medal game, and they lost to them two weeks ago.

Reactions: illone84

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Lets say, you have got a better team and very well organized, as well. Roster is different thing, though. Slovaks play in better leagues, there is a few players who will be drafted by NHL teams this year(Cajkovic, Hlavaj) and very likely next years also(Knazko, Chromiak). So, its unfortunate for them, how is tournament going. Thats my point.
The Slovakians don't play in better leagues. In fact, Latvians by far had the better opposition since they either played in the Latvian domestic league against grown men with KHL/NHL experience or played for the Riga Dinamo MHL team.

So, once again, you don't know what you're talking about and you're operating from a pre-conceived position of long-lost Slovak hockey glory.

You had to beat us, because it's just Latvia. Well, from our position, you were the team we must beat, since you're just Slovakia. Do you know what I mean?

For all of us 2nd tier hockey nations you're a part of us. :) It might be wise to alter your expectations for the years to come.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
The Slovakians don't play in better leagues. In fact, Latvians by far had the better opposition since they either played in the Latvian domestic league against grown men with KHL/NHL experience or played for the Riga Dinamo MHL team.

So, once again, you don't know what you're talking about and you're operating from a pre-conceived position of long-lost Slovak hockey glory.

You had to beat us, because it's just Latvia. Well, from our position, you were the team we must beat, since you're just Slovakia. Do you know what I mean?

For all of us 2nd tier hockey nations you're a part of us. :) It might be wise to alter your expectations for the years to come.
Can you tell me, how many latvians are in NHL?

Reactions: stastny12

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Can you tell me, how many latvians are in NHL?
I had to look as I had no idea... 3! Only 1 played a full season.

Slovaks have ... 9! Only 2 played a full season. 2 more played 60 games or more. 1 played 58 games.

Since I had it up... Czechs have .. 36! 8 played a full season (75 or more games) 17 played 60 or more games.

Reactions: stastny12

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I had to look as I had no idea... 3! Only 1 played a full season.

Slovaks have ... 9! Only 2 played a full season. 2 more played 60 games or more. 1 played 58 games.

Since I had it up... Czechs have .. 36! 8 played a full season (75 or more games) 17 played 60 or more games.

and sweden have 101 :eek:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Of the 36 Czechs it is reasonable to assume 5 or so won't play again in the NHL - Jerabek, Plekanec, Frk, Jaskin, Hanzal, Sulak, Sustr, Radil, Hyka and Rutta all seem to not be very secure for next season.

Mind you Hronek, Necas, Chytil and Zadina all seem to be locks to make a full season. Kaut and Francouz might move up. Korenar might break through as a backup. Vanecek and Vladar might crack backup status as well. Hopefully Simek gets a good deal as SJ misses him. I really hope guys like Hyka, Radil and Sulak are part of the plan moving forward and Hanzal gets healthy.

Guess we'll see.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
and sweden have 101 :eek:
89 ... 50 who played at least 60 games.

Also, none of these numbers included goalies... Czechs have 2 goalies for instance. Slovaks have 2? Latvia??? Sweden probably has 5 or 6. Although I'm not sure why we're comparing Sweden in this.lol

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

Keep calm. I did not want to offend latvian hockey.

What I am trying to say: Although, Slovakia belong to second tier, there you also could find a better nations(include SVK). No debate about it.

In spite of everything, it is always a big dissapointment and shocker when our NT lost with somebody who is not from top6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad