U18: WJC day 4 and 5 GDT

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Keep calm. I did not want to offend latvian hockey.

What I am trying to say: Although, Slovakia belong to second tier, there you also could find a better nations(include SVK). No debate about it.

In spite of everything, it is always a big dissapointment and shocker when our NT lost with somebody who is not from top6.
Maybe in junior hockey and except switzerland

Reactions: stastny12

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That's cool and all, but has nothing to do with your 2019 WJC U18 team, right? It's not like this is your first time facing relegation.
In fairness... Pretty sure he is Czech. Disappointing finishes... Yeah. Relegation, has happened once in the entire history of Czech hockey. Amazingly that didn't scare enough people to fix our program.

Also... Speaking for me.. thrilled for Belarus and Latvia. Hockey needs at least 12 strong Nations and not 5

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
That's cool and all, but has nothing to do with your 2019 WJC U18 team, right? It's not like this is your first time facing relegation.
Yup you guys have beaten us, and I’d say you’ve had the better men’s WC performances for the last 4-5 years.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Finland gets good goaltending, they can beat us. Their other players also need to play much better.

I think our players will be very motivated to beat Finland. They lost last year in the Gold Medal game, they lost at the WJC in the gold medal game, and they lost to them two weeks ago.

Tell me who'll be that Finnish who can help us to win USA in these U18 WJC's
Our goalies can't handle the pressures and they can't catch much pucks.

Roope Taponen has been atrocious in those 2 games ( Canada and Belarus) what he's played.
And Kari Piironen didn't impress either in the game vs Czech Republic.

We ( Finland) have serious goaltending and defense problem.
And if we somehow face USA in quarterfinal we don't have any chances to win that game.
Yes Finland's U18 WJC team is that bad this year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Roope Taponen has been atrocious in those 2 games ( Canada and Belarus) what he's played.

And if we somehow face USA in quarterfinal we don't have any chances to win that game.

You guys beat us two weeks ago. All it requires is some better play from the forwards and defensemen, which they obviously are capable of. If they do that, the goalie doesn't even have to play that well. The best way to insulate a goalie is to make sure he faces less shots and lower quality shots.

Thats not to say I think Finland will win. We were missing Turcotte in the game two weeks ago, who is essentially our best player or 1A with Hughes and Knight, and now our forward lines are playing well, so I think it's unlikely any team will beat us.

I thought we were the big favorites at the WJC18 last year. We lost in the final to Finland. I thought we were likely to win the WJC20. Lost in the final to Finland. I'm not going to count out Finland. You just watched your team win the WJC20 four months ago after they had a bad group stage. I think you are underestimating them.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Isn't there some term for Finnish hockey about momentum or 'flow' or something? When a team gels and get's it all right? I'm being serious here.

I'd personally shit my pants if I saw Finland facing my team in the quarters.. Finland has a massive history of beautiful Quarter Final upsets in their history. Only other team I can think of is the Swiss who also manage to pull of big quarter upsets.

Plus, I feel like the last 5 years have all been about Finland and US! I thank god Czechs can't face either.. not that I think we're a favourite in anyway and after watching Canada I'm terrified for tomorrow... like I say, play the backup, tell him all the scouts are there and make sure no one gets hurt.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Isn't there some term for Finnish hockey about momentum or 'flow' or something? When a team gels and get's it all right? I'm being serious here.

I'd personally **** my pants if I saw Finland facing my team in the quarters.. Finland has a massive history of beautiful Quarter Final upsets in their history. Only other team I can think of is the Swiss who also manage to pull of big quarter upsets.

Plus, I feel like the last 5 years have all been about Finland and US! I thank god Czechs can't face either.. not that I think we're a favourite in anyway and after watching Canada I'm terrified for tomorrow... like I say, play the backup, tell him all the scouts are there and make sure no one gets hurt.

History is only history and it won't matter jack-shit in tomorrow's USA vs Finland quarterfinal.
Don't let one 12-0 crush over lousy Switzerland fool on you.

Finland's defense is still shaky and so is the goalies despite of one lucky 21 save shutout for Taponen.
Switzerland had some good scoring chances but they couldn't finish those.

Also our ( Finland's) players took again too much idiotic penalties.
If we wanna win tomorrow vs USA we have to stay out of penalty box.
And that's easier said than done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we wanna win tomorrow vs USA we have to stay out of penalty box.
And that's easier said than done.

I agree with this.

The US PP is as good of a PP as I can remember seeing at one of these WJC tournaments since the Finnish PP in the year they won WJC20 gold with Aho, Laine and Puljujarvi. The first unit has five top 20 picks, and the second unit also has a lot of offensive talent.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What time is US vs Finland PST tomorrow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad