Prospect Info: WJC 2021 part 4: Gold Medal Game

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
4688AFD5-686D-4EB4-9006-B104AE8B7EC4.jpeg

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I always laught during the tournament that some poeple said that it was our best team Canada in history.

2005 edition would have destroyed that team.

They won the final vs Russia 6-1 and....Ovechkin, Malkin and Radulov were on the team....

First line: Crosby, Bergeron, Perry
Second line.....Getzlaf, Carter ,Richards..

Weber, Phaneuf and Seabrook on defense.

Tell me that Cozen's line was better that this....second line above...

Saw that thread on the main boards earlier today, a ridiculous take to say the least and quite the jinx too lmao.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think everyone knew Team USA was no slouch. These teams could meet tomorrow and Canada could easily win 2-0. Like you said the reality of a winner take all format. All the hype about never playing from behind and running the table in the group is not always a good thing just ask Sweden. :sarcasm:
Tbh I think it would be a much better tournament if they dropped some of the weaker teams and go with an expanded medal round format. The hockey would be better and more entertaining to watch.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
isnt it only 4 golds in the last 11 years? When they are like only 4 good teams at the tournament , and that's when Russia doesnt choke.

Anyways stay safe

8 medals and 3 gold since 2010. The 2005-2009 era is not as dominant as people thought. Only in results. USA could've easily beat Canada in the 2007 semi shootout. Russia could've easily held on in the last 6 seconds of the semis in 2009. Half of it is puck luck. Another variable is perseverance. Tournament has always been close. Canada shouldn't presumably win every year just get a medal every year

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Caufield looked like a stud tonight. Wasn't too impressed earlier in the tourney. But wow did he fly out there tonight. Should be a special player.

Agreed. I thought Caufield was very feisty and made good plays each time he touched the puck. He is definitely rounding his game. He backchecks hard and works all over the ice. He has the potential to be special.

I don't even care really that Canada lost. Not too many players I care about in this edition. In Guhle's case, he will be back next year, it will only make him more hungry.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Caufield was solid defensively tonight, he remained committed in his own end and didn't cheat for offense.. we all would have loved for him to cash in on more of his chances and be up there with Zegras for points but you can't hate on the progression.. he's better defensively, he creates his own offense more, his playmaking is better, his hands are better, his skating is better.. he just didn't hit the hot streak that snipers like him generally need to go on a heater.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

We clearly saw last night why I prefer Schneider to Guhle. Guhle can be overwhelmed by speed, Schneider scales up. And we particularly made a mistake on this one, because of Romanov. Romanov - Schneider would be a pair in the near future, Guhle is a lot more long term and competes with Romanov. Why?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We clearly saw last night why I prefer Schneider to Guhle. Guhle can be overwhelmed by speed, Schneider scales up. And we particularly made a mistake on this one, because of Romanov. Romanov - Schneider would be a pair in the near future, Guhle is a lot more long term and competes with Romanov. Why?

I like the Guhle pick and don't regret them taking him. But before the draft, I was asking if there is a difference between picking Guhle or picking Schneider at 16.

We knew Drysdale and Sanderson were going to be the two first defensemen taken. After them it was between Guhle and Schneider. So I was asking if there is enough of a difference to pick one over the other. And the reason I asked is because Schneider is RD, which is the less deep side of the D in the pipeline.

We know we have LD's with experience on the right side like Romanov, Harris, and Norlinder to name a few. But in the pipeline, there are Juulsen, Fleury, and Brook as natural RD's. And Juulsen has his injury history. So I was wondering if Schneider would be the better choice because of need.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Because he's a better player. We must be watching different tournaments because Schneider didn't impress me at all and the coach basically benched him one game. Guhles hockey IQ is scary good

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
No doubt about it that as of today Drysdale/Sanderson are better than Guhle/Schneider... not by much though.

But looking at player style, I'll take a Guhle over those four on the same level any day of the week.
If he can develop his offensive game, he looks like a complete two way defenceman in the mold of Werenski/Jones.
But he'll likely just be an elite shutdown defenceman if he doesn't bust

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One thing to note, and I could be wrong.. but I'm pretty sure Schneider is too old to play next year, while Guhle isn't.. there's some development time between the two.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Schneider was something like 5 days away from the 2019 draft so the direct comparable really isn’t there. He looks like a solid NHL player but is more in the realm of a Chiarot, which isn’t what we were looking for at 15.

Guhle bests him in nearly every other category, while being a birth year behind. I’ll take Guhle today and in the future.

Also, one game never “shows” anything - it’s just that - one game, out of thousands some of these guys will play.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
8 medals and 3 gold since 2010. The 2005-2009 era is not as dominant as people thought. Only in results. USA could've easily beat Canada in the 2007 semi shootout. Russia could've easily held on in the last 6 seconds of the semis in 2009. Half of it is puck luck. Another variable is perseverance. Tournament has always been close. Canada shouldn't presumably win every year just get a medal every year

I was commenting in the Russia Canada game that the loser wouldn't win Bronze. These two countries expect to make the final and consider the tournament a bust when they don't. You can throw USA into that mix as well. Finland plays the spoiler role and that country loves any color medal. I'm not sure where Sweden fits in given their horrible elimination game record in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad