Prospect Info: WJC 2021 part 4: Gold Medal Game

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Once in a while? We've won 4 times in the last 11 years. That's embarrassing considering how many of our players are in the NHL relative to rest of world.
Winning is not just something like flipping a switch, it's not easy and things don't always go as planned as was witnessed tonight. How many people picked the Americans to win this? Not many but that is the reality of a one-game winner take all format isn't it.

Reactions: Runner77

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Byram player of the game must have been a sarcastic vote or something. Totally out of position on the 2nd goal left 2 guy alone in front and might just be 0% D zone exit success... ok maybe 10-15%.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You dont think Quinn had an awful tournament or you dont think he wouldve been our pick if we had our number 8 pick?
Who cares if he had a terrible tournament, it's a handful of games.
I don't know if we would have picked him but it doesn't matter, 8th overall pick is a better asset to have, 100% of the time. What you do with that pick is another matter. Maybe we would have grabbed Lundell...he's had an amazing tournament. Good enough for you?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This team was not assembled to handle the pressure. Even during the games where they presumably steamrolled their opponents there were glimpses of shitty defensive play and complete confusion during the times when opponent managed a few decent shifts. It was a matter of meeting an equally skilled and determined opponent which none of the other teams were. As soon as they did - choke.

Talk to us about the Therrien/ Julien cloning process and whether for this version of Team Canada, we may have inherited a bad batch. :sarcasm:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It made me laugh hearing the two guys giving speeches to close the WJC while you hear US players yelling in celebrations.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Who cares if he had a terrible tournament, it's a handful of games.
I don't know if we would have picked him but it doesn't matter, 8th overall pick is a better asset to have, 100% of the time. What you do with that pick is another matter. Maybe we would have grabbed Lundell...he's had an amazing tournament. Good enough for you?
Not really there were better options than Lundell at 8 too it wouldve been a reach

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
No f***ing way that Byfield is in the NHL next year, dude needs to work on so much before even thinking about it
I would be shocked honestly, he plays soft. He is two years away from being ready imo. if he can put it together though i think he could be a real handful.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Great game by the US, tough to watch for us. Just couldn’t get anything going. Was equally difficult watching Byram handing out those medals.

And Caufield was out of tune during the anthem so he’ll obviously bust.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This team was not assembled to handle the pressure. Even during the games where they presumably steamrolled their opponents there were glimpses of shitty defensive play and complete confusion during the times when opponent managed a few decent shifts. It was a matter of meeting an equally skilled and determined opponent which none of the other teams were. As soon as they did - choke.
I think Canada probably wins 4-1 if this was a best of 7. I don't think they were equally matched.
Difference is US went through some adversity in this tournament. All I kept hearing about Canada is how oh-so-awesome they were....they never trailed in any of the games! It's been an easy smooth ride for Canada.
US got their chances and made them count, after that they pretty much just played defense.
Canada still got more chances, completely fumble a 2 vs 1....barely get a shot off on their breakaway...often missing the net with the puck in the slot or just shooting on the goalie.

Not taking away anything from the US, they shut things down as well as they could. But they weren't equally skilled.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I always laught during the tournament that some poeple said that it was our best team Canada in history.

2005 edition would have destroyed that team.

They won the final vs Russia 6-1 and....Ovechkin, Malkin and Radulov were on the team....

First line: Crosby, Bergeron, Perry
Second line.....Getzlaf, Carter ,Richards..

Weber, Phaneuf and Seabrook on defense.

Tell me that Cozen's line was better that this....second line above...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Winning is not just something like flipping a switch, it's not easy and things don't always go as planned as was witnessed tonight. How many people picked the Americans to win this? Not many but that is the reality of a one-game winner take all format isn't it.

I think everyone knew Team USA was no slouch. These teams could meet tomorrow and Canada could easily win 2-0. Like you said the reality of a winner take all format. All the hype about never playing from behind and running the table in the group is not always a good thing just ask Sweden. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad