WJC 2016 - Roster Talk

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jortsu made the right decision leaving, that much is clear especially after reading why he quit. If he was that unmotivated, why did he agree to do it in the first place? He was unable to connect with the players and according to him, there was 'an issue with egos' on the team.

The truth is that teenagers these days aren't the way they were 20 years ago, and the so-called egos can and must be controlled by the coaches (aside from the ones that threaten to kill the coach or pull other similar stupid stunts). Jortsu wasn't able to adapt to the requirements of modern coaching.

I look forward to seeing how JJ decides to handle Laine, assuming he becomes a viable option for the team.

He was motivated but he ran out of it.

In the Iltalehti interview he said that the's been out of Finland for so long that he didn't know the players. He didn't know who was "soft" and who was "tough". He had to rely on the word of other too much. I'd imagine that's why he was also complaining about the shorter preparation time. I don't buy the "failed to adapt to requirements of modern coaching" exactly since he coached the U-20 team as recently as 2010.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
He was unable to connect with the players and according to him, there was 'an issue with egos' on the team.
In other words, he failed to command their respect. Which does not come as a surprise, since he is not exactly the most charismatic person out there.

Though I'm not really blaming either side here. Jortikka can't help being what he is. While the players should, in principle, be professional enough to go with whoever, certain kind of connectable personality tends to be a natural requirement while dealing with teenagers.

Jalonen should, hopefully, fare a little better on that front. Having Nurminen along for the show shouldn't hurt either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In other words, he failed to command their respect. Which does not come as a surprise, since he is not exactly the most charismatic person out there.

Though I'm not really blaming either side here. Jortikka can't help being what he is. While the players should, in principle, be professional enough to go with whoever, certain kind of connectable personality tends to be a natural requirement while dealing with teenagers.

Jalonen should, hopefully, fare a little better on that front. Having Nurminen along for the show shouldn't hurt either.

Or since there were lots of players from the U-18 WJC team that didn't impress with their professionalism, there's big mental problems with some players. There didn't appear to be any problems in 2010.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There didn't appear to be any problems in 2010.

Or they simply weren't propped up because things went slightly more reasonably on ice.

I know it's kind of a low blow to bring a man's outer shell into this... but I can't help thinking these issues have also stemmed from Jortikka being badly overweight. And, incidentally, Urama as well. These kids live and train like pro athletes, so it could be difficult for them to listen to somebody who looks like the hardest exercise they've got over the past decade or so is stuffing their mouth with beer and burgers.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Some of those professional kids were last year doing historic 0-10 loss in their home U-18 WJC games to Finland's arch nemesis Sweden... In play-offs phase... Which is quite good sign of not having the best cassettes available beyond the age group's best, gold-winning goalkeeper who sat this year's games out...

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Or they simply weren't propped up because things went slightly more reasonably on ice.

I know it's kind of a low blow to bring a man's outer shell into this... but I can't help thinking these issues have also stemmed from Jortikka being badly overweight. And, incidentally, Urama as well. These kids live and train like pro athletes, so it could be difficult for them to listen to somebody who looks like the hardest exercise they've got over the past decade or so is stuffing their mouth with beer and burgers.

I don't know if I'd say it's because they're overweight, but at least Jortsu is a bit of a cult character for hockey playing teens. I bet every single player on the team had seen that video. Being a cult character may not be a bad thing in itself, but in this case I don't think it improved his credibility.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
It didn't, but it also doesn't help that Jortsus merits are all 10+ years ago.
The kids who are 18 today, they were in their diapers when Jortsu won his second 3 sm-liiga medals. They would respect Kivi, Jalonen etc in a completely different way than Jortikka

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Whatever ones thoughts of Jortikka might be, he still deserves a mad props for one thing: Having the sensibility to step down in a questionable situation despite Liitto still apparently having his back. That's not something you see too often in Finnish hockey. Or, well, in pretty much any walk of life that puts people in positions of some responsibility.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Group to Sweden:

G:
Kaapo Kähkönen, TUTO Hockey
Sami Väliharju, Kärpät

D:
Matias Haaranen, HPK
Miro Keskitalo, TPS
Niko Mikkola, KalPa
Sebastian Moberg, HIFK
Sami Niku, JYP
Jere Rouhiainen, Tappara
Joni Tuulola, HPK

F:
Frank Gymer, Jokerit
Roope Hintz, Ilves
Manu Honkanen, TPS
Antti Kalapudas, Hokki
Antti Kauppinen, Tappara
Joel Kiviranta, Sport
Teemu Lämsä, TPS
Miro Mäkinen, Jokerit
Atte Mäkinen, Jokerit
Otto Nieminen, TPS
Miikka Pitkänen, KalPa
Mikko Rantanen, TPS
Patrik Virta, HPK
Veeti Vuorio, TPS

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is an interesting take on things but don't know if it's accurate. I think players imitating or joking about their coaches can be a positive thing - if there is a respect there (not sure what Ortio's relationship was like with the coach). In some cases that can mean they are really absorbing what the coach is doing or saying so that they are so familiar and can make a joke of certain characteristics.

Looking back at USA coach Herb Brooks and the so-called Miracle on Ice at the time there were stories about players writing down all of his sayings and at times going around the room one after another repeating them and making jokes. Had that team not won I'm sure there would have been ridicule.

Hall of Fame American football coach Bill Parcells is reportedly another coach whose players sometimes had derisive names "Charlie Tuna" or joked with the coach but toed the line when it came time to perform.

Though the point about conditioning may have some merit. Not that he was a better coach but NHL coach Ken Hitchcock felt that weight issues kept him from getting an NHL job and it was only after he got in better condition that he was able to land an NHL job - obviously his knowledge hadn't grown as much with the weight loss but obviously he was perceived as more professional.

Interesting conversation for sure.

I don't know if I'd say it's because they're overweight, but at least Jortsu is a bit of a cult character for hockey playing teens. I bet every single player on the team had seen that video. Being a cult character may not be a bad thing in itself, but in this case I don't think it improved his credibility.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Group to Sweden:
D:
Niko Mikkola, KalPa
Maybe it is time to put this guy to the mix too. Big (Finhockey states that he's 194cm now) defender who seems to like to play physical game. I think that he is defending really, really well at least in juniors. I like this guy.

Has already played in 6 Liiga-games too (been in 9).

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
5-3 win today over Switzerland.

Finland goals:
1-2 Kiviranta (Rouhiainen, Hintz)
2-2 Niku (Honkanen, Keskitalo)
3-3 Lämsä (Gymer, Kalapudas) pp
4-3 Lämsä (Niku, Gymer) pp
5-3 Niku (Pitkänen)

Yesterday 5-3 loss to Sweden

Finland goals:
0-1 Lämsä (Kalapudas, Gymer) pp
3-2 Nieminen (Haaranen, M. Mäkinen)
4-3 Lämsä (Niku, Gymer) pp

--

Seems like Lämsä, Niku and Gymer had a great tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
http://yle.fi/urheilu/jalonen_tyyty...atkaisupeleihin__vaatimustaso_on_kova/7879076

Interesting. When was the last time we heard an U20 coach take a long hard gander at technically every age-eligible player and not just the most prominent ones knocking the doors of Liiga and/or Mestis? Jalonen seems to be doing some damn dedicated work here.

Let's just hope that he doesn't get too cute though, and snub someone superior simply because he takes a shining to some kid who's still spending most of his time in Jr.A for a reason.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
http://yle.fi/urheilu/jalonen_tyyty...atkaisupeleihin__vaatimustaso_on_kova/7879076

Interesting. When was the last time we heard an U20 coach take a long hard gander at technically every age-eligible player and not just the most prominent ones knocking the doors of Liiga and/or Mestis? Jalonen seems to be doing some damn dedicated work here.

Let's just hope that he doesn't get too cute though, and snub someone superior simply because he takes a shining to some kid who's still spending most of his time in Jr.A for a reason.

He wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have some degree of passion for it, so it makes sense that he appears to be dedicated to it. He also always was the type to bring along players that he likes over players that have higher status, so your concerns are also warranted :laugh:.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

There is a very limited group of players he can take for the April tournament, so checking out everybody makes sense. '97s and '98s are with the U18 team and most of the '96 group is still playing (Kalapudas, Moberg, Kapanen, Niku, Pitkänen, Mikkola, Kähkönen, Lammikko).

Hintz, Sopanen, Rantanen, Kiviranta, Rouhiainen, Keskitalo, Virta and Lämsä are the only top players available. Tuulola is injured.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Camp roster for 4-Nations tournament in Slovakia, 9-11.4

G:

1 Kaapo Kähkönen, TUTO Hockey
30 Joona Voutilainen, Jokerit

D:

2 LD Matias Haaranen, HPK
3 LD Miro Keskitalo, TPS
4 LD Niko Mikkola, KalPa / Hokki
5 LD Sebastian Moberg, HIFK
6 LD Sami Niku, JYP
7 LD Jere Rouhiainen, Tappara
8 RD Eetu Sopanen, Pelicans
9 RD Miro Karjalainen, HIFK
25 LD Martin Berger, TPS
26 LD Anton Nyyssönen, Blues

F

10 C Roope Hintz, Ilves
11 C Manu Honkanen, TPS
12 C Antti Kalapudas, Hokki
13 LW Eetu Elo, Pelicans
14 LW Joel Kiviranta, Sport
15 C Teemu Lämsä, TPS
16 C Miro Mäkinen, Jokerit
18 LW Atte Mäkinen, Jokerit
20 C Miikka Pitkänen, KalPa / Hokki
21 LW Waltteri Hopponen, Lincoln Stars
22 C Patrik Virta, HPK
23 C Frank Gymér, Jokerit
24 LW Miro Ruokonen, HPK
27 RW Jaakko Lantta, Pelicans
28 LW Joona Jääskeläinen, SaiPa

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...la-leirin-jalkeen-turnaukseen-slovakiaan.html

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Given how most of the guys "still playing" seem to be in that squad, perhaps there is something to Jalonen's dedication after all.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Given how most of the guys "still playing" seem to be in that squad, perhaps there is something to Jalonen's dedication after all.

Yep.

Hopefully Karjalainen and Sopanen do well. Not many big RHD's to choose from.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Preliminary roster for U20 Lake Placid tournament in August:

Goalies (3)

1 G Kaapo Kähkönen, Blues Espoo
30 G Veini Vehviläinen, JYP Jyväskylä
31 G Nico Vikstén, Ilves Tampere

Defenseman (10)

2 LD Matias Haaranen, HPK Hämeenlinna
3 LD Miro Keskitalo, TPS Turku
4 LD Niko Mikkola, KalPa Kuopio
5 LD Otto Leskinen, KalPa Kuopio
6 LD Sami Niku, JYP Jyväskylä
7 LD Jesper Mattila, Ilves Tampere
8 RD Eetu Sopanen, Pelicans Lahti
9 RD Vili Saarijärvi, Kärpät Oulu
25 LD Markus Niemeläinen, HIFK Helsinki
26 LD Juuso Välimäki, Ilves Tampere

Forwards (15)

10 C Roope Hintz, HIFK Helsinki
11 LW Sebastian Aho, Kärpät Oulu
12 LW/C Juho Lammikko, Ässät Pori
13 LW Miska Siikonen, Pelicans Lahti
14 LW Joel Kiviranta, Sport Vaasa
15 C/RW Teemu Lämsä, TPS Turku
16 RW/C Mikko Rantanen, TPS Turku
18 C Aleksi Saarela, Ässät Pori
19 LW Jonne Tammela, KalPa Kuopio
20 RW/C Sebastian Repo, Pelicans Lahti
21 RW Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät Oulu
22 C Julius Nättinen, JYP Jyväskylä
23 RW/C Frank Gymer, Jokerit Helsinki
24 RW Kasperi Kapanen, Pittsburgh
27 RW Patrik Laine, Tappara Tampere

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...etaan-joukkue-turnaukseen-lake-placidiin.html

Tuulola, Virta and Kalapudas are the only big names missing.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Tuulola, Virta and Kalapudas are the only big names missing.
Tuulola and Juolevi are the big names missing for me, but I guess this was expected due to their knee injuries. Not a big fan of Mattila being on the team, he doesn't have much tools to compete at this level, I'd much rather have seen someone like Rouhiainen there. If all the top forwards are healthy and available, guys like Kalapudas, Virta, Hopponen, Pitkänen, Palmu, Björkqvist and Honkanen might be expendable in Jalonen's eyes. Interesting to see what happens with Kapanen and Rantanen regarding NHL/AHL though.

No Veeti Vainio?
At present he's just too unreliable for a defenseman. He needs to learn to read the game better, make wiser decisions and play stronger defensively. His effort level is also something that could be criticized. Hopefully training with Blues Liiga team helps him and he becomes a viable option.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Here my version for Team Finland's roster U20 World Junior Home Tournament

1st Rantanen Hintz Kapanen
Tuulola Juolevi

2nd Laine Saarela Puljujärvi
Moberg Lyytinen

3rd Aho Nättinen Palmu
Saarijärvi Vainio

4th Tavernier Lammikko Tammela
Niemeläinen Sopanen