Waltteri Hopponen
Jonne Tammela
Sebastian Repo
Patrik Virta

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Sebastian Moberg is another defenseman who will likely be a candidate. He's been juggled between Liiga and Mestis this year, but will possibly be a full time player with HIFK next season. Abundance of puck movers might hurt his chances though. A couple of other eligible players already have Liiga experience as well, though I'm less familiar with their abilities so I'll let others discuss that.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Couple more defensemen.

Miro Keskitalo played year ago in U18 Championships and has played 8 games in Liiga. Jere Rouhiainen was in training camp already this year.

I think defense has the most open situation. I'd say only Niku and Tuulola are at this point clearly ahead of others and the next season will tell a lot more. I think that there is even little chance to see other younger names like Vaakanainen, Reunanen or Välimäki in the team.

For forwards, Patrik Virta has been pretty effective in juniors and HPK probably doesn't have that strong team next year either so he might see games in Liiga. Though Finland probably doesn't have lack of smallish forwards next year either.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Jortikka said that he has no motivation.

Why did he even take the job in the first place then. :facepalm:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finally they appreciate U20 team.
Well, they've done so for two years already. It all started when they hired Kivi, who was far more higher profile than any other applicant in the last decade or so.

Yes, Jortikka was a step back - but we'll have to keep in mind that Liitto was left scrambling pretty badly after Kivi's sudden departure. The well was pretty dry, but they still tried to go for a reasonably seasoned name rather than another cheap choice.

Of course, getting J.Jalonen for a gig like this is even bigger than getting Kivi. It almost feels like an overkill.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What's even more impressive - if the reports are true - is how quickly they made this happen.

If Jortikka is to be believed, he resigned himself. Liitto was content on letting him stay. Kale told him to think. Jortsu gave it some thought, and gave his notice a week ago.

Today, they announced first that Jortikka is resigning. About an hour later, they announce that "by the way, here's his successor".

So... unless some details were given an extra layer of polish, they got Jalonen on board in less than a week. It's the kind of hypercompetence you certainly don't usually expect from a behemoth like Liitto.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Compare.

Adult Lions: Kari Jalonen, Lauri Marjamäki and Ville Peltonen.

U20: Jukka Jalonen, Pasi Nurminen and Timo Lehkonen.

Not saying which trio is ultimately better, but it's kinda funny that the "lesser" unit has crapton more experience than the flagship one.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jukka Jalonen gets to coach the junior lions at the home games, get a big buzz about himself going again, and then Jokerit hire him to succeed Erkka?
I'm fairly certain that if Jalonen was available, he'd be on the shortlist of any hockey organization in Finland, no matter whether he'd got this U20 gig on his belt or not.

People seem to assume he only sticks for this year, even though he reminded himself that he's also got an option for another. It's actually pretty likely that he'll end up using it, since he's already got his big payday with SKA. If he goes, he doesn't have to follow the money like Kivi did. The gig must be something that's gonna tickle his ambition.

Jokerit could be up there. Jalonen has however said that if he's got one dream, that's coaching in the NHL. It's a tall order for an European, since one needs to show one can contribute something to the North American hockey environment. One does not tend to get plenty chances of that, sticking to the home continent. Matter of fact, coaching an U20 team is actually one of the better opportunities to gain that kind of experience, considering how frequently the tournaments take place over there. I think the opportunity to try and generate a winning game plan for small ice and showcase it two years from now could be quite viable motivation for him to not go for any better-than-average offer once the first year is up.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Jortsu made the right decision leaving, that much is clear especially after reading why he quit. If he was that unmotivated, why did he agree to do it in the first place? He was unable to connect with the players and according to him, there was 'an issue with egos' on the team.

The truth is that teenagers these days aren't the way they were 20 years ago, and the so-called egos can and must be controlled by the coaches (aside from the ones that threaten to kill the coach or pull other similar stupid stunts). Jortsu wasn't able to adapt to the requirements of modern coaching.

I look forward to seeing how JJ decides to handle Laine, assuming he becomes a viable option for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad