GDT: WJC ‘23

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It seemed odder for posters on this board to assume he's a generational McDavid.. Thats underselling McDavid by lightyears. Thats my horse in the race, which I explained.

Nothing odd about looking at what contributions are against good or bad opponents. Bedards play against best possible opponents is what will most translate to the challenges of the NHL.

To wit the Czechs gave Bedard all kinds of problems and they pretty much shut him down. His attempts to go wide weren't even close. He was being crashed into the back boards.

Being that this is hockey futures board whats wrong with looking at games or results that are most translatable, i.e. harder opponents. Because the NHL is hard.
I share your sentiment.

I think he will be good. But I think the brakes need to be pumped a bit. To me he doesn’t possess anything that would make me confidently put him in the generational category. Mcdavid by contrast was a better skater and stickhandler at 17 years old than 99% of the NHL.

I’m a little skeptical with these types of players, and I wonder how much is attributed to him just being better than his peers in his age group. I mean we’ve seen it plenty of times where people dominate juniors and come up to the league and aren’t superstars. I wonder if he’s a man amongst boys out there, and if he can do what he’s doing as a man amongst other men.

But it also wouldn’t surprise me if he was a top 5 player throughout his career. He definitely has crazy potential.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Cm
It seemed odder for posters on this board to assume he's a generational McDavid.. Thats underselling McDavid by lightyears. Thats my horse in the race, which I explained.

Nothing odd about looking at what contributions are against good or bad opponents. Bedards play against best possible opponents is what will most translate to the challenges of the NHL.

To wit the Czechs gave Bedard all kinds of problems and they pretty much shut him down. His attempts to go wide weren't even close. He was being crashed into the back boards.

Being that this is hockey futures board whats wrong with looking at games or results that are most translatable, i.e. harder opponents. Because the NHL is hard.
You know McD and I go way back , he’s my boy.
What your saying is the points he racks up against the Coyotes aren’t as worthy as the points he puts up against say Tampa Bay. See how silly that is?

As for Bedard get crushed going wide, fine, atleast he’s taking the puck to the net. Go watch the first 2 minutes of the gold game, he dangles inside and almost scored.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cm

You know McD and I go way back , he’s my boy.
What your saying is the points he racks up against the Coyotes aren’t as worthy as the points he puts up against say Tampa Bay. See how silly that is?

As for Bedard get crushed going wide, fine, atleast he’s taking the puck to the net. Go watch the first 2 minutes of the gold game, he dangles inside and almost scored.
Its flat out ridiculous to compare the range of opponents in World Juniors with that found in the capped parity NHL. ANY team can beat any other team in the NHL in any given game.

In World Juniors there is no such parity. More like parody with several of the clubs that are there. With Russia out it makes more sense to go with 6 or 8 teams. The rest are just deadwood and this concept of growing the game, I'm not sure its happening. Basically the same nations playing hockey were when I started watching.

Finally Mcd isn't just happy meal snacking on weak clubs. In anycase there are no clubs in the NHl as bad as Austria. The average scorline for their games was 0-9. Mercy rule should be in effect. They breached it twice. Theres no point at all in having minnows like Austria, Swiss, Latvia in. Before a game is even played all the teams one expects to advances beyond group stage if they even have a pulse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Its flat out ridiculous to compare the range of opponents in World Juniors with that found in the capped parity NHL. ANY team can beat any other team in the NHL in any given game.

In World Juniors there is no such parity. More like parody with several of the clubs that are there. With Russia out it makes more sense to go with 6 or 8 teams. The rest are just deadwood and this concept of growing the game, I'm not sure its happening. Basically the same nations playing hockey were when I started watching.

Finally Mcd isn't just happy meal snacking on weak clubs. In anycase there are no clubs in the NHl as bad as Austria. The average scorline for their games was 0-9. Mercy rule should be in effect. They breached it twice. Theres no point at all in having minnows like Austria, Swiss, Latvia in. Before a game is even played all the teams one expects to advances beyond group stage if they even have a pulse.
Mercy rules or not, that’s the way it goes. Lindros, Tavares, all these guys played the same fodder you just described.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mercy rules or not, that’s the way it goes. Lindros, Tavares, all these guys played the same fodder you just described.
Did they? They all played Russia in these tournaments. They all played better Sweden, US, Finland teams as well. Without Russia this is an especially watered down tournament.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Did they? They all played Russia in these tournaments. They all played better Sweden, US, Finland teams as well. Without Russia this is an especially watered down tournament.
Too bad for Russia but f*** them.

Anyway, I believe Bedard is still eligible for 2 more tournaments..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad