Line Combos: With & Without Duchene

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What's Bernier mate? Swiss cheese? The guy is still young, and an absolute God send.

Bernier is a good back up, had decent numbers last year with the Ducks, but you gotta wonder, if he was just decent or somewhat good on a winning team like the Ducks, how will he do on a team coming off a 48 point season that can't play defense?

Like I said, i respect and appreciate your optimism, and I also want this team to do well, but there are just tons and tons of question marks with the Avs right now.

Bringing this thread back to Duchene topic, the way Sakic handling his situation, how badly it's gonna destruct the locker room, it may not, but one would think it will, because this is already a fragile team with lack of leadership

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Even If our team would be worse it's hard not to improve on our point totals from last season, because IT WAS THAT BAD.. One of the worst teams in the modern NHL history.

We will improve.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well 55 points will be improvement. I'm hoping healthy Varly and 22 point improvement for 70 points, but realistically I'm seeing 55 points, which is technically improvement

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really believe if they replayed last season with the same roster and everything they'd be 20 points better. They could probably play an entire U25 roster and still crack 60 points.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Depends on how you mean they replay the last season. If they replay it as if the 1st one didn't happen, they just play it fresh, possibly they could do better, if the replay after having the season they had, they could actually do worse. Colborne wouldn't score a hat trick, and they most likely would have worse start to the season than on the first try.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Bernier is a good back up, had decent numbers last year with the Ducks, but you gotta wonder, if he was just decent or somewhat good on a winning team like the Ducks, how will he do on a team coming off a 48 point season that can't play defense?

Like I said, i respect and appreciate your optimism, and I also want this team to do well, but there are just tons and tons of question marks with the Avs right now.

Bringing this thread back to Duchene topic, the way Sakic handling his situation, how badly it's gonna destruct the locker room, it may not, but one would think it will, because this is already a fragile team with lack of leadership

Yes, question marks, agreed. So why is everyone just erring on the side of negativity ? Because of that one God awful last season?

Chin up everyone. Good times are only 8 weeks away.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes, question marks, agreed. So why is everyone just erring on the side of negativity ? Because of that one God awful last season?

Chin up everyone. Good times are only 8 weeks away.

Wait, what? One Gawdawful season? One? :laugh: Just one?

Since the lockout:

2005-06: Playoffs, swept in 2nd round
2006-07: No playoffs
2007-08: Playoffs, swept in 2nd round
2008-09: No playoffs
2009-10: Playoffs, lost in 1st round
2010-11: No playoffs
2011-12: No playoffs
2012-13: No playoffs
2013-14: Playoffs, lost in 1st round
2014-15: No playoffs
2015-16: No playoffs

There's been a track record of failure. Would've been okay had it led to something OTHER than the worst performance by an NHL team since the cap was put in place.

I sound like a broken record here because I say it every year, but all I ask from the hockey team I root for is not a deep playoff run, or to even make the damned postseason. All I want is semi-watchable hockey and progress toward the ultimate goal. In both respects the Avs have failed miserably...not just last year, but in multiple seasons.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That's my biggest issue, I get that it's going to take time and it's a process but I just ask to see progress and a plan.

And yet when you've been shown progress and/or plans on other things, it's met with "it's not enough", so yeah...

The biggest things being the actual attempt at creating a prospect pipeline, the changes/enhancements to both Development Camp and Rookie Camp, the participation in a Rookie Tournament, and the financial investment in the AHL (putting money into the contract side or wanting to renovate and update the training facilities). They shouldn't consider their work done (and I don't think they do), but every single one of those was met with a "meh, not enough".

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do we have too many top 9 players? Crazy to believe a team so bad could have that issue, but I see too many players that shouldn't be playing on the 4th line.

Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Duchene, Compher, Soderberg, Andrighetto, Jost, Yakupov and Wilson.

Who's the weak link? Soderberg is probably the logical choice but if im Sakic I force Bednar to play the hell out of Soderberg whether he wants to or not. And with good players. No reason they don't try to turn it around for him. 3 years remaining at that cap hit hurts. A team needs to put a player like that in the best possible position to turn it around.

Maybe Compher starts as our 4C? I don't want him playing those 4th line minutes but I guess he's next in line.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
FTR here is what I'd like to see. If Duchene is back I want to see Jost start the year in the AHL. Even if it's just until the first injury occurs. But I don't see any reason to have JTC/Jost/Soderberg on the 4th line.

Andrighetto Mackinnon Rantanen (though I have a feeling the charm from last year will die quick and Ghetto gets demoted)
Yakupov Soderberg Duchene (The ultimate reclamation line. Soda has the brains to make up for Yak's lack)
Landeskog Compher Wilson
Nieto Colborne Comeau
Bourque

Zadorov EJ
Bigras Barrie
Barbario Mironov
Lindholm

If Yakupov looks lost in training camp and Jost looks superior to him, disregard my AHL comment and simply put Jost in Yakupov's spot and Yakupov can start as a healthy scratch. Yakupov can then fill in when there are top 6 injuries but will spend much of the year as a healthy scratch.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stick Soderberg on the 4th line with the other scrubs (Comeau and Colborne) and it's problem solved. I'd actually gain more respect for Bednar if he says he's not going to limit the talented young players by putting Compher/Jost on the 4th line just because Soderberg has a big contract. Every time they gave Soderberg an opportunity last season, they had no choice but to demote him again because he didn't give a crap.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Stick Soderberg on the 4th line with the other scrubs (Comeau and Colborne) and it's problem solved. I'd actually gain more respect for Bednar if he says he's not going to limit the talented young players by putting Compher/Jost on the 4th line just because Soderberg has a big contract. Every time they gave Soderberg an opportunity last season, they had no choice but to demote him again because he didn't give a crap.

And pay him 4.5M for the next three years to be a fourth liner who doesn't want to be part of the team? Come on. I'm all for youth movement but you can't be stupid about it either. You need to know how to manage your assets and not giving Soderberg an opportunity to rebound after one poor year would be ridiculous.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs do need to find a way for Soda to gain back some value, or they will likely buy him out next summer. I'm game for trying him on a higher line (he has proven he can be a productive NHL player), but I doubt things will change under Bednar.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
And pay him 4.5M for the next three years to be a fourth liner who doesn't want to be part of the team? Come on. I'm all for youth movement but you can't be stupid about it either. You need to know how to manage your assets and not giving Soderberg an opportunity to rebound after one poor year would be ridiculous.

Not quite $4.5M/yr for the next three years but yeah, pretty much. It'll be $4.5M/yr for the next two years and then whatever the buyout calculation is because that's exactly where this is headed.

I don't consider it a typical youth movement move either because I think this team would be better with someone like Compher as the 2nd line center. IMO, he's already a better defensive player than Soderberg and you won't have to worry about effort. Maybe you can try out Soderberg on the 3rd line and see if something clicks but I'd bail on that pretty quickly if it doesn't.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
FTR here is what I'd like to see. If Duchene is back I want to see Jost start the year in the AHL. Even if it's just until the first injury occurs. But I don't see any reason to have JTC/Jost/Soderberg on the 4th line.

Andrighetto Mackinnon Rantanen (though I have a feeling the charm from last year will die quick and Ghetto gets demoted)
Yakupov Soderberg Duchene (The ultimate reclamation line. Soda has the brains to make up for Yak's lack)
Landeskog Compher Wilson
Nieto Colborne Comeau
Bourque

Zadorov EJ
Bigras Barrie
Barbario Mironov
Lindholm

If Yakupov looks lost in training camp and Jost looks superior to him, disregard my AHL comment and simply put Jost in Yakupov's spot and Yakupov can start as a healthy scratch. Yakupov can then fill in when there are top 6 injuries but will spend much of the year as a healthy scratch.

Important things for mine this coming season:
+ Don't put too much pressure on Jost - let him acclimatise on the 3rd line like ROR was allowed
+ Soderberg needs to earn his ice time. 14 points, -26 @ 4.75M per is unacceptable. Nieto / Comeau are decent players.
+ Yakupov has to play with quality line-mates to give him a chance. 92 + 9 fit that bill perfectly.
+ 10 - 29 - 96 had HEAPS of chemistry. If 10 continues to produce at anywhere near 2016 pace for US - gold
+ Our 3rd line needs to be productive. Wilson - 17 - 13 achieves that
+ Don't burn out Varly - maybe go 66% - 33% playing versus sitting (give Bernier 27-28 games)
+ Pair Z with EJ, but make sure it's at very particular times of the game - dn't throw Z under the bus - yet.
+ Barbs - Barrie was actually a very good pairing keep that going.
+ Last pair is my concern. Mirinov, plus I'd STILL love to see Franson in there IF Duchene isn't traded.

Andrighetto - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
(Colborne, Grimaldi, Greer)

X Swap around bottom 6 however you like.

Zadorov - Johnson
Barberio - Barrie
XXXXXX - Mirinov (Cody Franson ideal)
(Lindholm, Siemens, Bigras)

Varlamov
Bernier

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
While it's great to have 2 core players clicking on a line, you really need all 5 on the ice to click. Maybe Yakupov, and Zadorov - EJ round out their abilities.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Landeskog Compher Wilson
Nieto Colborne Comeau
Bourque

Zadorov EJ
Bigras Barrie
Barbario Mironov
Lindholm

I'd flip Yak/Wilson, and Compher/Soda. You are pushing it with players not in their ideal positions. Wilson has mostly been a LW, and Yak is a RW. I'm not that worried about Wilson (unless it's at C), but Yak needs to be playing T-Ball here at first. If you are going to give Soda a real shot then his best chance is probably with Landeskog again.

If Yakupov has any value outside of his shot, it's his speed and ability to forecheck. Soda also has talked about liking that type of player in the past, that is when Comeau wasn't in the penalty box.

Ghetto - MacK - Rants
Wilson - Compher/Duchene (That is a rock solid second line IMO, Compher won't have to play center on the road if he struggles)
Landeskog - Soderberg - Yakupov (Proven chemistry, and a trigger man)
Whateverthefuk

You 100% have to have Soda on the second power play unit as well. Get the guy as much ice and points you can up until January, and then retain whatever is needed if anything and flip him. If he does well he might actually have some real value at 50% retained.

I personally agree with giving Jost a short leash, and sending him to the AHL if he remotely does not look ready. Although I believe Jost might end up taking Ghetto's spot at LW with MacK and running with it.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Just thought of this line combos, with Duchene and if Kerfoot makes the team...

Duchene-MacKinnon-Yakupov
Landeskog-Jost-Rantanen
Andrighetto-Compher-Wilson
Nieto-Kerfoot-Soderberg/Comeau/Colborne

Without Duchene..

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Yakupov
Andrighetto-Jost-Rantanen
Nieto-Compher-Wilson
Comeau-Kerfoot-Soderberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad