Line Combos: With & Without Duchene

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This thread is sparked by this post by Travis Yost outlining Duchene and Landeskog's chemistry issues: http://www.tsn.ca/duchene-and-landeskog-haven-t-clicked-in-colorado-1.812303. This has been apparent to many of us here, but it's nice and interesting to see it analyzed in depth (and made me wonder if the Avs even looked at things in this detail).

With the roster taking shape, what are your hopes/predictions for the specific lines for opening night next season, with or without Duchene?

I'd like to see:

Ghetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen ---> eat up opponents 3rd line
Wilson - Duchene - Compher --> play against 2nd line
Landeskog - Soderberg - Yakupov --> play vs. opponent's best line
Nieto - Jost - Comeau
Colborne

Barberio - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Waiver Claim/signing - Mironov
Bigras

Varly
Bernier

Otherwise..

Ghetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen --> vs. 2nd line
Landeskog - Jost - Compher --> vs. opponent's 1st line
Wilson - Soderberg - Yakupov --> vs. 3rd line
Nieto - Waiver claim/duchene piece - Comeau
Colborne

Zadorov/Duchene trade - Johnson
"" - Barrie
Barberio - Mironov

Varly
Bernier

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't like to do roster hypotheticals too much but we are in a holding pattern now until more is known.

Andrighetto-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Soderberg-Compher
Yakupov-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Colborne-Wilson-Comeau

The 4th isn't ideal because there really isn't a center there but Nieto, Wilson and Comeau could make a decent line. The thinking with the top 3 is keep the Mack-Mikko-Sven line together as long as it works, the Landy line is the defensive line and I'd like to try and get something out of Soda, going ne t to Landy is his best bet. The "third" line gets heavy ozone starts and 3rd pairing matchups, all in on offense there.

You can't really run Soda as your 3C if you want Jost to take that role to start. They probably want Wilson on the 3rd line and are developing Compher as a center but something has to give. I don't think Mack goes to wing to accommodate the rookies. Yak probably gets his shot in the top 6 but probably takes Andrighetto's spot so it doesn't really change my roster thinking.

Without Duchene I guess

Landeskog-Compher-Yakupov
Wilson-Jost-Soderberg
Nieto-Colborne-Comeau

I don't love that but we basically have no 4C. It's stupid to put Soda or any of the rookies there.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
with Duchene

Landeskog-Jost-Duchene
Wilson-Compher-Yakupov
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

without Duchene

Landeskog-Jost-Yakupov
Wilson-Compher-Greer
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
with Duchene

Mackinnon-Duchene-Rantanen
Landeskog-Soderberg-Yakupov
Andrighetto-Compher-Jost
Nieto-Wison-Comeau

if Sakic want trade Duchene next summer the team should take a decision for increase the value of Duchene and Mackinnon play better as a winger. Same thing with Soderberg give a chance to product and after trade him.If Soderberg have the same production as he can Sakic can trade him like Arizona trade Hanzal.(big, some point ,two way center). And Compher and Jost continue to progress.

without Duchene

Andrighetto-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Soderberg-Yakupov
Wilson-Compher-Jost
Nieto-Duchene trade-Comeau

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Andrighetto - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost/Duchene - Yakupov
Wilson - Duchene/Jost - Compher
Nieto - Söderberg - Comeau
Colborne

Andrighetto - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost/Compher - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost/Compher - Comeau
Nieto - Söderberg - Colborne

Sakic said he sees Yak as top6 winger, right? I'd think he starts there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ghetto-MacK-Rants
Landy-Compher-Yak
Wilson-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Soda-Comeau
Colborne

Ghetto-MacK-Rants
Landy-Compher-Yak
Wilson-Jost-Comeau
Colborne-Soda-Nieto
Vogelhuber :)naughty:)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
With Duchene:

Ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Jost - Duchene - Yakupov
Lando - Compher - Wilson
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Colborne

Without Duchene:

Let's be honest, he ain't going anywhere.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Ghetto-MacK-Rants
Landy-Compher-Yak
Wilson-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Soda-Comeau
Colborne

Ghetto-MacK-Rants
Landy-Compher-Yak
Wilson-Jost-Comeau
Colborne-Soda-Nieto
Vogelhuber :)naughty:)

I like having Duchene/Landeskog on the wings of the young centers, though 2 rookie centers playing 2C and 3C would be a bit of baptism by fire.

If they go with your 2nd list, I hope Nieto gets $5M/year in arbitration. Dude's going to be skating around all night looking over his shoulder, wondering where the hell his linemates are..... :D

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Duchene - Yakupov
Jost - Compher - Wilson
Colborne

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
With Duchene:

Duchene - Jost - Rantanen
Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon
Wilson - Compher - Andrighetto
Nieto - Comeau - Yakupov
Colborne

Zadorov - Barrie
Mironov - Johnson
Barberio - Lindholm

Without Duchene:

Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - Yakupov
Wilson - Soderberg - Compher
Nieto - Comeau - Colborne

*TRADE RETURN* - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Mironov - Barberio
Lindholm (?)

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Compher - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost - Duchene/Colborne

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like having Duchene/Landeskog on the wings of the young centers, though 2 rookie centers playing 2C and 3C would be a bit of baptism by fire.

If they go with your 2nd list, I hope Nieto gets $5M/year in arbitration. Dude's going to be skating around all night looking over his shoulder, wondering where the hell his linemates are..... :D

Similar to what the Avs did in 09, but that is what I am expecting... not necessarily what I'd do. The Avs clearly want Compher and Jost as centers and long-term that makes the most sense to get those growing pains out of the way now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not going to predict full lines, as it's just as likely to end up in the Bednar blender anyways.

I'll say Mikko & Rantanen spend a lot of time together, and I think Compher grabs the reigns next to Landeskog despite a lot of people assuming Jost will end up the #2 center. Jost will either be not quite ready yet, or he'll play some LW with MacK.

It is much more likely we see both Jost and Compher at center if Duchene is gone though.

Compher just looked dominant at times down the stretch last year, and I think he plays the game at a pace and style similar to Landy.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I'm not going to predict full lines, as it's just as likely to end up in the Bednar blender anyways.

I'll say Mikko & Rantanen spend a lot of time together, and I think Compher grabs the reigns next to Landeskog despite a lot of people assuming Jost will end up the #2 center. Jost will either be not quite ready yet, or he'll play some LW with MacK.

It is much more likely we see both Jost and Compher at center if Duchene is gone though.

Compher just looked dominant at times down the stretch last year, and I think he plays the game at a pace and style similar to Landy.

Almost like they are the same person:)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
As the roster stands right now:

Wilson-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

Barberio-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
Bigras-Mironov

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Wilson-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

Barberio-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
Bigras-Mironov

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Fwd wise that's not thaaat bad
Defensively...I see 2.5 NHL dmen
So that's pretty bad

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fwd wise that's not thaaat bad ðŸÂ¤”
So that's pretty bad

The forward group actually looks pretty good, especially with us still having guys like Greer, Morrison, and JCB coming to replace the rest of the trash left on the roster.

I'm really surprised they are leaving three of the top six D slots wide open though. Especially considering who is competing for those slots.

I wonder if they really think Barberio is a top four guy, or if they think he can do it until someone else takes it from him, and would rather not pay a stop gap. It just looks weird IMO.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If Duchene stays you have a log jam of centers:

Ghetto-MacK-Rantanen (after last seasons finish this combo will be given a solid chance)

then I'd say the following two lines are going to be 2A and 2B getting pretty much equal TOI:

Landy-Duchene-Yakupov (you're kidding yourself if you think Duchene isn't playing center)
Compher-Jost-Wilson (Compher and Jost will take turns at center probably based on situation)

4th line:
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau (Colborne is the extra)

Without Duchene:

Ghetto-MacK-Rantanen
Landy-Compher-Yakupov
Wilson-Jost-Nieto
Comeau-Soderberg-Colborne (let's be honest Soderberg is in Bednar's doghouse, he isn't moving above the 4th line)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Fwd wise that's not thaaat bad ðŸÂ¤”
So that's pretty bad

There's potential up front but there are also a lot of questions and I think you're asking for quite a bit to go right there. I really like Andrighetto but he's a fixture on the top line after less than 20 good games with the Avs. Yakupov, who is a complete bust, is on the second line in my mock lineup. The 2nd/3rd line centers are rookies with a combined 27 career NHL games played. Are we getting the good version of Duchene or is he going to sulk because he wasn't traded? Don't even get me started on the two scrubs I have on the 4th line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's potential up front but there are also a lot of questions and I think you're asking for quite a bit to go right there. I really like Andrighetto but he's a fixture on the top line after less than 20 good games with the Avs. Yakupov, who is a complete bust, is on the second line in my mock lineup. The 2nd/3rd line centers are rookies with a combined 27 career NHL games played. Are we getting the good version of Duchene or is he going to sulk because he wasn't traded? Don't even get me started on the two scrubs I have on the 4th line.

I'm sure that will be tried just simply because of last year, but by no means is he a sure thing for the top line most of the year.

The top six could easily end up something like,

Jost - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Compher/Duchene

That is if they wanted to consolidate, and one or both of Yak/Ghetto don't work as the third wheel on a line. With that said it's quite common these days for top six lines to have a third guy that is kind of a role player or third wheel type middle six player.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Wilson-Jost-Duchene
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Colborne

Barberio-Johnson
Zadorov-Barrie
Bigras-Mironov

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

You and I went with the same forwards, nice.

I think the forward group could end up *actually* being really good this year *if* two of Jost, Compher, and Yakupov can come through with 20+ goal or 40+ point seasons.

But, in a worst case scenario I could see all three scoring in the 25 point or fewer range and the Avalanche finishing dead last in goals (again!).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lining Barberio up with Johnson is bad news. There were #'s thrown up on Twitter about how his fancy stats just plummet the more he gets played, and that was obvious in Colorado. If you're playing EJ against the other teams best players, Barberio isn't suited for it. I say throw him and Barrie together and give them o zone starts.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Barrie-Johnson pairing won't happen and it would make the other two pairings even worse but that's the best the Avs could do. It's a small sample size but they usually play very well together.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A Barrie-Johnson pairing won't happen and it would make the other two pairings even worse but that's the best the Avs could do. It's a small sample size but they usually play very well together.

They definitely pass the eye test, fantastic chemistry between the two.

Dater has said he thinks EJ should get an offensive-minded partner, not a shutdown guy as conventional thinking goes. I'm not so sure. If anything you want someone to help open up his puckmoving abilities.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lining Barberio up with Johnson is bad news. There were #'s thrown up on Twitter about how his fancy stats just plummet the more he gets played, and that was obvious in Colorado. If you're playing EJ against the other teams best players, Barberio isn't suited for it. I say throw him and Barrie together and give them o zone starts.

That seems to be the BSN opinion right now, but you can't completely shelter whoever plays with Barrie most of the time. That pairing is going to hurt you badly at certain times. Especially on the road regardless of what zone they start in.

With that said, I don't have a better suggestion unless one of the younger guys breaks through in camp and takes that #4 spot.

Wouldn't it be nice if Bigras actually filled out finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad