With the Trade Deadline slowly approaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
question I posed last night, with how Connauton is playing, does he make one of our big 2 Defensemen expendable, or is it too early to say?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Not a trade but Derek Roy (1 year/$1 million then UFA) and Matt Fraser($1 year/$625,000 then RFA) were placed on waivers. Any interest?

question I posed last night, with how Connauton is playing, does he make one of our big 2 Defensemen expendable, or is it too early to say?
I'll say too early. I'm still wondering what happens to Goloubef or Leopold though.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I think definitely too early to say. I'm loving the kid but I'd still wait a while; sample size is too small and he was put on waivers (I know that's not a definitive thing, but he was viewed at least partially as expendable)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Exactly. I think the Schultz situation was unique in the sense that he was just chasing money and and a direct path to immediate nhl ice time. Reilly strikes me as a "I just want to win" type of guy and he seems like he would mesh extremely well in the locker room as it seems to be really tight knit the last two seasons or so.

He is just too good to not do everything possible to sign him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Not a trade but Derek Roy (1 year/$1 million then UFA) and Matt Fraser($1 year/$625,000 then RFA) were placed on waivers. Any interest? No

I'll say too early. I'm still wondering what happens to Goloubef or Leopold though.

Who exactly are our two big D? :laugh: I'm assuming Wiz and JJ. Of the two I wouldn't mind seeing JJ go if we could get a decent pick and prospect back for him. He's got a low cap hit for a few years left, eats minutes, can play well at times - he could be a very moveable piece at the deadline if we were out of the race and we so desired.

I'm guessing Leopold gets moved at the deadline if we are out of it. I don't see Golo being a moveable piece then to a contender-who would want a relatively untried D-man for the stretch run? If we are buying he could be sent as part of a deal to get the guy we want. Otherwise he appears destined to being waived when (if) Murray comes back.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Not a trade but Derek Roy (1 year/$1 million then UFA) and Matt Fraser($1 year/$625,000 then RFA) were placed on waivers. Any interest.

Nah, we have more of these types of guys than we know what to do with.

I think Golo goes as part of a bigger deal, or steps in if we trade someone else above him in the lineup. The org seems hellbent on not losing him for nothing, however.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Derek Roy was on the waiver wire a month ago I would have strongly considered it - but at this point Letestu should be back soon, and then we might not have much use for Roy. At this point in his career, sadly, Roy appears to be a smaller "poor mans" Letestu. At the same time, Roy is only $1m and there is always a chance he catches on on a scoring line, so I wouldn't mind giving him a shot (not my money).

Yes to Dano+ for Oshie, if Dano is the biggest piece going that way. I don't know if it makes sense to include a first rounder - the Blues aren't that much deeper than us (when we're healthy), and we'll have our own money headaches soon enough.

And it's way too early to know what to do with our d-core, and it probably will still be too early come the trade deadline. Remember how good Nikitin was three years ago, something like 32 pts in 54 games, plus good defense? And I'm hesitant to move JJ just because we don't have a top pair D to replace him. Yes, Jack is not usually playing at a top-pair D level, but I'd sooner get a new coach rather than just give up on him- Jack has to be motivated to be an elite D-man all year long (part of Richards' job), we don't have another option back there.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues fan here. What's the deal with Jack Johnson? I don't watch Columbus games but I've always thought of JJ as a big fairly mobile dman that can hit. I see a few posters saying he's might be available. Would being paired with Pietrangelo really help him out? Pietrangelo is getting hammered every game and he needs a more physical partner.

So what's the report on JJ? If he's available, what would you guys want for him?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Blues fan here. What's the deal with Jack Johnson? I don't watch Columbus games but I've always thought of JJ as a big fairly mobile dman that can hit. I see a few posters saying he's might be available. Would being paired with Pietrangelo really help him out? Pietrangelo is getting hammered every game and he needs a more physical partner.

So what's the report on JJ? If he's available, what would you guys want for him?

Whatever we say about JJ, he is definitely a big mobile d-man who can hit and play 30 minutes a night, if need be. He doesn't get tired and can take hits with ease. Unfortunately he usually sleepwalks through most of the year.

As my post above states, we don't have another top pairing option. So the price for JJ is pretty high, despite his limitations. The only way I could see the Blues getting him is if one of Bouwmeester or Shattenkirk are coming back.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Whatever we say about JJ, he is definitely a big mobile d-man who can hit and play 30 minutes a night, if need be. He doesn't get tired and can take hits with ease. Unfortunately he usually sleepwalks through most of the year.

As my post above states, we don't have another top pairing option. So the price for JJ is pretty high, despite his limitations. The only way I could see the Blues getting him is if one of Bouwmeester or Shattenkirk are coming back.

I would do Bouwmeester. He's not looking to good right now. But the league has figured out how to handle Jbo and Pie, Jbo would benefit from having someone who can handle punishment out too.

He has a NTC, so it would probably be a no go anyways. Thanks for the response

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I would love to land Oshie.. but I doubt we would be so willing to part with the necessary pieces to make a deal.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is absolutely no way, not even a thought, I trade JJ or Wiz based on a hot streak by a waiver wire pickup. Absolutely makes no sense and is jumping the gun way too much.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I am torn with Oshie. He would fit the mold here, but would he give us the offense we need? Given the price we would pay to get him, I am going to say no. We need more offense.

If issue was here at least the Cbj would never have to worry about facing him in a shoutout. He owned bob in the Olympics.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Jackets are the hottest team in the NHL right now.... My gut says JD won't do a damn thing at the trade deadline but if we are in playoff position he better make a move..

Goal scoring in the playoffs is the hardest thing to do, get a goal scorer after vetting for injuries or attitude...

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If Derek Roy was on the waiver wire a month ago I would have strongly considered it - but at this point Letestu should be back soon, and then we might not have much use for Roy. At this point in his career, sadly, Roy appears to be a smaller "poor mans" Letestu. At the same time, Roy is only $1m and there is always a chance he catches on on a scoring line, so I wouldn't mind giving him a shot (not my money).

Yes to Dano+ for Oshie, if Dano is the biggest piece going that way. I don't know if it makes sense to include a first rounder - the Blues aren't that much deeper than us (when we're healthy), and we'll have our own money headaches soon enough.

And it's way too early to know what to do with our d-core, and it probably will still be too early come the trade deadline. Remember how good Nikitin was three years ago, something like 32 pts in 54 games, plus good defense? And I'm hesitant to move JJ just because we don't have a top pair D to replace him. Yes, Jack is not usually playing at a top-pair D level, but I'd sooner get a new coach rather than just give up on him- Jack has to be motivated to be an elite D-man all year long (part of Richards' job), we don't have another option back there.

boy do we have different ideas about the responsibilities of coaches and players. Crikey, that's nuts

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The only thing I see is that the play of Prout and Cotton have made Leopold slightly expendable. On the other hand since I expect Murray to be shut down for the year that leaves us one good injury away from needing Leo badly.

This team remains in a hard place to make trades where you don't fill one hole by opening anther. A lot of times, teams don't make trades in that position.

That said, I expect movement at the draft.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
The only thing I see is that the play of Prout and Cotton have made Leopold slightly expendable. On the other hand since I expect Murray to be shut down for the year that leaves us one good injury away from needing Leo badly.

This team remains in a hard place to make trades where you don't fill one hole by opening anther. A lot of times, teams don't make trades in that position.

That said, I expect movement at the draft.

You kidding me lol? All for a extended rehab of a torn meniscus that shows now structural damage per latest MRI. This has a hortonesque feel to it.....

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Would not mind picking up paajarvi at all I mean could it really hurt us? Only 23.

I'd be fine with it, but I think Carolina will claim him as they have priority in the waiver order.

I think you guys are onto something here. Jarmo seems to be collecting these 2009 draft picks (Morin and Connauton) so who knows :dunno:. Probably knows them well because at the time of that draft he was still head scout of STL. (If memory serves right?)

But seems to me that there are several fans who are interested of him.
Although every time someone worthy of mentioning is waived there are fans screaming that their team needs to claim him and still that player clears.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Paajarvi isn't that good. But we were able to revive Leopold's career for a bit and revive Connauton's career. And Paajarvi is better than Tropp and Boll and Collins. So why not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad