Prospect Info: With the 7th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Lias Andersson

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Everything I have read and heard from people makes this kid sound like Ryan O-Reilly. Very competitive at both ends of the rink. Goes to the dirty areas. Wins puck battles.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Considering the type of player his father was, I think it's quite safe to assume he will be a great two-way player. Hopefully he will also have his fathers scoring and playmaking skill. If so, considering his size, he could become a real great player. I like what I've seen of him in SEL this far and I do believe it was a good draft pick.

That's not really how it works, but okay ;)

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Obviously we need to see what DeAngelo and Andersson become.

But having said that, I wonder how many would have traded Stepan straight up for Shattenkirk (assuming KS had 4 years left at 6.6M per). I'm guessing quite a few.

I would and I like Stepan a lot. So in essence yeah, financially it's equivalent.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Considering the type of player his father was, I think it's quite safe to assume he will be a great two-way player. Hopefully he will also have his fathers scoring and playmaking skill. If so, considering his size, he could become a real great player. I like what I've seen of him in SEL this far and I do believe it was a good draft pick.

It is if you have seen him play for the past 12 years. He just does not skate as well as his father yet.

What are the odds he cracks the roster this year?

I think he has the skill to crack the roster this year but I think they are going to leave him in Sweden for this coming season. As many others said, if you rush to bring him here and he toils in Hartford, that may not be a good thing.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

I'd say it is, not all the time of course, but quite often. Your father (often) will be the one learning you the basics of the game, and if he believes that playing a two-way game is important I'd say it's quite big chance that you as a kid will pick it up. Anyhow, hopefully I'm right in this case.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
What if GMJG traded Step and purposely picked Andersson because he was pretty much NHL ready and wants him to slot in as the 3C this season? Someone brought it up and it was interesting, but scary. Dude needs at least a year in the SHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What if GMJG traded Step and purposely picked Andersson because he was pretty much NHL ready and wants him to slot in as the 3C this season? Someone brought it up and it was interesting, but scary. Dude needs at least a year in the SHL.

He was very important to Husk during their championship run. Which is impressive for a 17-year old. He was given a difficult task at a young age and didn't look out of place. This was not just in the regular season, but in the play-offs as well. He's no Connor McDavid, but having already played against grown-ups and not looked out of place, it is an interesting take on why h was drafted. Who knows.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Meets expectations?

Seems a bit strong as the player you described + deAngelo is a massive win for the NYR.

Short description but you pretty much have him being Derek Stepan.

I didn't see him describing Stepan at all. I think that's a mistake a ton of people make. Just listing the amount of pts (which is all the person you responded to did) does NOT draw comparison to any individual player.

What about defensive play? Speed? Faceoffs? Physicality? PP or PK abilities? Does he find good shooting lanes or open them up for others? How well? How's his play without the puck? Ability to possess the puck and skate with it? Does he excel at pinning teams in their own zone? Cycling? Forecheck? How does his game get affected by a team specializing in speed or specializing in power? How good is he at taking away passing lanes? What's his defensive stick work like?

He can end up with the same rough point totals as Stepan and still be a much worse or better player.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I didn't see him describing Stepan at all. I think that's a mistake a ton of people make. Just listing the amount of pts (which is all the person you responded to did) does NOT draw comparison to any individual player.

What about defensive play? Speed? Faceoffs? Physicality? PP or PK abilities? Does he find good shooting lanes or open them up for others? How well? How's his play without the puck? Ability to possess the puck and skate with it? Does he excel at pinning teams in their own zone? Cycling? Forecheck? How does his game get affected by a team specializing in speed or specializing in power? How good is he at taking away passing lanes? What's his defensive stick work like?

He can end up with the same rough point totals as Stepan and still be a much worse or better player.

From everything thing I've read about him, a lot of that(the questions you asked) is mentioned as to why he was a highly rated draft prospect as compared to higher ceiling offense. Vilardi would have been the "hope his skill translates to the NHL someday" type while Andersson was all about his tenacity, skating, forechecking, IQ, play without puck in all 3 zones type that also has an offensive touch. Basically they were saying he can be NHL ready for bottom 6 play right away with those qualities and then see if he can also create offense down the road.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Everything I have read and heard from people makes this kid sound like Ryan O-Reilly. Very competitive at both ends of the rink. Goes to the dirty areas. Wins puck battles.

The more I think about what I've read abou him, I'm hoping for a Sergei Nemchinov with more offense. I'd be thrilled by that - Sarge was one of the smartest Rangers I've seen.

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I can't remember the last time an 18-year old center made our team right after being drafted.

He turns 19 in October. He has a legit shot, solid twoway player. I personally think it will be better for his development specially offensively to play in SHL atleast one more season and then come over.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Benning is always good to leak what other NHL teams want to do.

If you watch this Benning mic'ed up video, he's constantly mentioning that he's worried we were going to move up to 3 to take Pettersson. NHL GM's know who each other want. In the video, he guessed who was going top 4, if there weren't any trades, which there weren't. McPhee knew Benning wasn't taking who he wanted Glass, so he didn't swap picks with him.

Benning knew we were trying to move up to 3 for Pettersson. There were other indications of this that have been posted here, but this is probably the best indication so far.

Piecing this together, Dallas was scared to move down to 7 because they knew Makar or Heiskanen would not be available at 7 if Pettersson went 3, Heiskanen 4, Glass and Makar 6 and 7 in some order.

I like the Andersson pick, but Dallas screwed us out of drafting the best player in the draft.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just from Hearsay, the four names I kept hearing/keep hearing from the Rangers was Pettersson, Makar, Glass and Andersson.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Just from Hearsay, the four names I kept hearing/keep hearing from the Rangers was Pettersson, Makar, Glass and Andersson.

I think they definitely had their eyes on Glass. He was the one I was aiming for at #7. Andersson looks like a great fit for this team though.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

yep

petersson and glass for sure. i wasn't on the makar bandwagon as much so no loss there for me.

when they went off the board, the next name on the list was andersson. bobby mac had it already. the word had been out they they loved this kid. total package player.

i was very high on him prior to draft day. even had him as my #1 choice ahead of kostin and brannstrom.

this kid is going to be terrific. i keep saying daniel alfredsson. thats who i see with this kid.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's great that Andersson was at the top of their board of players available with the pick. Always draft BPA. I guess you just need to trust that the Rangers FO explored whether or not they could move down a couple of picks, and still grab LA, while adding a 2nd rounder in the process.

That's the real issue with the pick. It was a reach. Reaching at #7 sucks. But, if he was their top choice, and they explored moving down but couldn't, then... whatever. Gotta trust the FO, I guess.

All things considered, I think I'd have taken Tippett. Volume shooter. Goal scorer. Weasley bro.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
yep

petersson and glass for sure. i wasn't on the makar bandwagon as much so no loss there for me.

when they went off the board, the next name on the list was andersson. bobby mac had it already. the word had been out they they loved this kid. total package player.

i was very high on him prior to draft day. even had him as my #1 choice ahead of kostin and brannstrom.

this kid is going to be terrific. i keep saying daniel alfredsson. thats who i see with this kid.

I really love both first round picks. Listening to how confident this Andersson kid is, my God. He's oozing leadership qualities. Thats tough to find and something this team desperately needs from a rookie, whether its this year or next.

Theres no doubt this kid will be an NHL player. How high he can climb on the depth chart and how quickly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad