Prospect Info: With the 7th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Lias Andersson

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Has the dust settled??

I can understand why some might have been upset about this pick, but this is not a bad pick at all, Andersson has underrated skills and his compete level is off the charts. These are the kind of guys you win with. I really like the pick.

The pick has grown on me, but I really hate when people say "these are the kind of guys you win with". Notice how no one says that about most top picks? Because no one needs to be told that Crosby, McDavid, or even Stamkos are players you win with.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The pick has grown on me, but I really hate when people say "these are the kind of guys you win with". Notice how no one says that about most top picks? Because no one needs to be told that Crosby, McDavid, or even Stamkos are players you win with.

To be fair, they were all also #1 picks

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well no one says that stuff about great players whether they're #1 picks or not, because it would be silly to say that of course those are the types of players you win with. That's usually said about role players.

Some people are making it out to be as if Andersson is already a career bottom-6 forward while there were several top-line players still available. It's amusing, to say the least, when I see people claim the Rangers "reached" for a kid who was picked a few spots higher than his projection. It's not as if they went off the board completely.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Some people are making it out to be as if Andersson is already a career bottom-6 forward while there were several top-line players still available. It's amusing, to say the least, when I see people claim the Rangers "reached" for a kid who was picked a few spots higher than his projection. It's not as if they went off the board completely.

I'll give him a chance, I just feel like saying he's a player you win with is a backhanded compliment for a top 10 pick.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Well no one says that stuff about great players whether they're #1 picks or not, because it would be silly to say that of course those are the types of players you win with. That's usually said about role players.

I get where you're coming from and agree to a certain extent, but they were saying the same thing about guys like Toews and Landeskog. The fact Pierre compared him to Fast/Lindberg shows me he has no idea what he's talking about

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

High compete level, describes every one of those you mentioned.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I get where you're coming from and agree to a certain extent, but they were saying the same thing about guys like Toews and Landeskog. The fact Pierre compared him to Fast/Lindberg shows me he has no idea what he's talking about

The only thing Andersson has in common with Lindberg is his nationality. At least with Fast, he also has in common that they both played for HV71 haha.

But if we go by that logic, Chytil is like Jaromir Jagr

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Fair point. I think that's because it's obviously understood that you need guys like that to win, as you mentioned. But teams that win, in addition to star power on the top lines, need grinders and defensively responsible players that can also score (see: Hagelin, Bonino, Brouwer, Ladd, etc.)...you don't have that, you still won't win. And that's why those guys get the label.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The only thing Andersson has in common with Lindberg is his nationality. At least with Fast, he also has in common that they both played for HV71 haha.

But if we go by that logic, Chytil is like Jaromir Jagr

I just mean that at the time he was drafted Landeskog was getting a lot of press about his two-way game and intangibles

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just mean that at the time he was drafted Landeskog was getting a lot of press about his two-way game and intangibles

I know, I was referring to Pierre comparing Andersson to Lindberg and Fast. It's ridiculous. When Pierre tells me what the name of his 2nd cousin's high school boyfriend was, I believe him. When it's about hockey, I will just forget about it within a second

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I know, I was referring to Pierre comparing Andersson to Lindberg and Fast. It's ridiculous. When Pierre tells me what the name of his 2nd cousin's high school boyfriend was, I believe him. When it's about hockey, I will just forget about it within a second

Here's all you need to know about what Pierre has to say about a pick during the draft:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It's a common phrase and doesn't mean what many people think it means. I think going off the reservation means deviating from standard beliefs. In a hockey draft, I suppose that would mean going "Off the board".

I'm not sure anyone knows what 'off the board' means either seeing as it was used to describe Andersson, who was ranked anywhere from 7-27 and therefore firmly 'on the board'.
Likewise, a very quick Goggle search shows that Price was ranked at 10 by ISS and 13 by McKeen so unless 'off the board' and 'off the reservation' have incredibly special and specific meanings in hockey, it seems people just use them to describe any pick that doesn't exactly match what they would have done

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm not sure anyone knows what 'off the board' means either seeing as it was used to describe Andersson, who was ranked anywhere from 7-27 and therefore firmly 'on the board'.
Likewise, a very quick Goggle search shows that Price was ranked at 10 by ISS and 13 by McKeen so unless 'off the board' and 'off the reservation' have incredibly special and specific meanings in hockey, it seems people just use them to describe any pick that doesn't exactly match what they would have done

Yeah, Pierre may have overreacted a bit. I wonder if he covered the draft for a network when MAF was drafted. Would love to hear his reaction.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Well, people also seem to not realize what "ceiling" means when they say DeAngelo's ceiling is Marc-Andre Bergeron or when they say Andersson's ceiling is Dominic Moore (Seriously, someone said it). Those just sound like expected outcomes rather than ceilings.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
gonna laugh when this kid makes the team out of camp. theres a reason they had him so high on their board. all the stuff about a bottom 6 player. not even close.

once they couldn't do the deal for 3, then Petersson and glass were gone, he was the next BPA on their board. it was an easy choice. this kid was rising for a reason. he wasn't sexy but that played right into JG's hand. the the next BPA.

they wanted a 2 way pivot with few holes who was near ready now. Andersson.

they wanted a kid who had confidence and ability both. "I want to win everything". Andersson.

they want a player that would not bust and one that wouldn't have any "issues". Andersson.

lastly, they wanted a player who had "it". one that makes linemates better, teams better. knows what to do and how to do it at a high level and works harder than any one else. Andersson.

he's already showing this at rookie camp.

JG and the rest of the crew could not be happier right now. then again, they expected this.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

Is this a joke?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad