Prospect Info: With the 7th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Lias Andersson

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Still very much against this pick. Makes a bad trade look worse.

But I'm certainly rooting for him, seems like a good kid.

you do realize this trade was made of a variety of solid sound reasons right ? this group had their kick at the can and Stepan was one of the guys who had value for a deal ala brassard. JG kept his word.

* 6.5 mil cap. do not underestimate the room created.

* step showing signs of slippage

* there was precedent already with the brass/mika deal.

* JG and the faster,cheaper,better thing

* the 7th pick in the draft turned into Lias Andersson

* and ADA. a guy they have been interested in for awhile that happens to fill a need- he's an nhl player now rather than a draft pick, so filling a need makes sense when you make a hockey trade.

a far as trades go, this one was an A. period.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
In my opinion, it's something they say because they simply have nothing else to say, knowing little to nothing about the player.

Imo it pretty much always means that the player they're talking about is one who works hard all over the ice. Someone who forechecks hard, goes in the corners, hustles back on D, etc. They usually don't say it about top picks because they're usually guys who play mostly offensive games, especially when they're kids being drafted before they have time to grow and expand their skill sets in the league. I'm not saying it's better to be a hustler than to be an elite scorer, just sharing what this label seems to mean.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i watched some tape of this kid last night while watching nhl network.

and watching him at rookie camp too.

one thing keeps coming to mind when you see how he plays the game.

hes a young daniel alfredsson. same size. same type build and plays the same game. i mean he's the guy i see lias andersson becoming. that kind of player.

and if true, :handclap:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

hes a young daniel alfredsson. same size. same type build and plays the same game. i mean he's the guy i see lias andersson becoming. that kind of player.

I guess I'll be ok with that. :sarcasm:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

At you just saying that because he's Swedish? ;)

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009

That is exactly what I'm thinking as well. I really like the pick. The only question is if he the 1C or 2C version? A lot of people are poo-pooing on this selection but I believe the Rangers took him because at that point on the board he has a really great chance to be a 2C center, but could still boom and be that 1C we need. And with the lack of any potential C's in our farm, if you can basically guarantee a second line center that still may have upside you do it. If we were overflowing with 2C prospects I get gambling on a potential bust game breaker but we don't have the luxury.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Love Swedes. Really hoping the Rangers have found their own Nicklas Backstrom but I've yet to see that comparison made. I suppose it's because he's lacking that high end offensive instinct.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So I am just getting to these threads after being out of town.

I get where Andersson wasn't on some people's radars, but he's a very solid prospect.

He has a very strong understanding of the game, high IQ and is highly competitive.

What he's not is particularly "sexy." He's not a kid that automatically draws your attention to him, or necessarily makes you jump out of your seat.

He's a "safe" pick in the sense that he has a high probability of playing in the NHL, though the odds of him being a high-end "star" is less than some other selections. However, he projects safely as a third line center and favorably as a second line center. Keeping in mind that those terms are all somewhat relative because it depends on who he is paired with and the roles they play.

At the 7 spot, and in this draft, I don't view him as being a reach. As we discussed before the draft, a "weak" draft typically means teams have to do their research on a player and that lists might vary noticeably between teams. For better or worse, the Rangers clearly did their homework on this pick.

While I don't believe he was at the top of the list of players the Rangers hoped to land, I don't he was a consolation prize either. As an old friend of mine told me in the days following the draft, "Andersson is the type of player that winning teams have."

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
In a draft where the #1 overall pick is not necessarily projected to be a #1 center, I'm fine with Anderson being our selection.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Great we got 2 3rd line centers in two first round picks, one of which is a #7 pick according to Edge and somehow this is a good thing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Great we got 2 3rd line centers in two first round picks, one of which is a #7 pick according to Edge and somehow this is a good thing.

I think you got a kid who safely is a third line center, though has good odds of a second line center.

What you don't (likely) have is a 30 goal, 70 point player.

The hope with your other pick depends on where he plays as a pro. But his upside is also a top 6 forward.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

In a draft where the top-2 picks aren't even expected to be franchise centers putting up 80 points, you can't really expect to get that at 7.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If both guys panned out, you're hoping for a 20 goal, 50-60 point center; and a 20-25 goal, 40-45 point forward.

If that happens, that's damn good.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Edge, I'm so happy to see you posting again. I hope all is well with you and your family

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's mostly good.

A long road ahead.

But between kids, work and life, it's hard to consistently get on here.

Well here's to hoping for more good news and happiness with your son and your family :cheers:

By the way, I think your assessment of Andersson and Chytil have been spot on so far

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

The interesting thing about him is while a lot of people question his offensive upside, flashy or not, his production is undeniable and super intriguing. I'm sure this has been mentioned as well before but of all the recent impact fowards coming from the Swedish leagues, Zibanejad, Forsberg, Nylander, Wennberg, Arvidsson, and on and on, Backstrom and Lindholm are some of the only to actually put up better numbers. The comparisons to Fast and Lindberg are a little silly. His offensive ceiling is a huge wild card and we should get a better feel for it with top 6 mins in the SHL next season

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Considering the type of player his father was, I think it's quite safe to assume he will be a great two-way player. Hopefully he will also have his fathers scoring and playmaking skill. If so, considering his size, he could become a real great player. I like what I've seen of him in SEL this far and I do believe it was a good draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad