Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm more interested in how many of these types of guys actually make an impact in the NHL. Off the top of my head, Adam Fox is obviously the crowning example. Justin Schultz was solid offensively for a while but he's pretty mediocre overall. Who else has gone this route and actually become an important player for their team?

Wheeler I think.

Reactions: brainfreeze

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
For a front office who is going to need their prospect depth, they certainly do a good job of screwing around with their prospects.
Not sure what the front office should have done differently in the case of McBain. He wasn't a particularly good prospect the last 3 years, and then had a suddenly great year in the very last year the Wild could retain him. Before this season, I honestly didn't think he'd even be tendered an offer by the Wild. Shitty luck with timing is all this is.

If they can't sign him, I hope they can trade him to a team that wants to negotiate with him. Might at least get something out of it.

Reactions: Circulartheory

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Wheeler was also a top 5 pick, wasn't he? Kind of a rare path for such a high profile pick.

Anyone else, who wasn't such a high pick?

Alex Kerfoot back in '17. 5th round selection by the Devils. Ended up signing with Colorado.

There are a few other examples: Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey and Will Butcher.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Not sure what the front office should have done differently in the case of McBain. He wasn't a particularly good prospect the last 3 years, and then had a suddenly great year in the very last year the Wild could retain him. Before this season, I honestly didn't think he'd even be tendered an offer by the Wild. Shitty luck with timing is all this is.

If they can't sign him, I hope they can trade him to a team that wants to negotiate with him. Might at least get something out of it.

It’s on the front office to build relationships and buy in from their prospects so that they can see a path for them and want to be a part of the organization. By now they should have a read on the situation and if he plans to be a part of it. Instead it’s a surprise that he’s looking at his options.

This is now the second reasonable prospect in as many years to elect to not sign and try their luck elsewhere in a spot of their choosing.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s on the front office to build relationships and buy in from their prospects so that they can see a path for them and want to be a part of the organization. By now they should have a read on the situation and if he plans to be a part of it. Instead it’s a surprise that he’s looking at his options.

This is now the second reasonable prospect in as many years to elect to not sign and try their luck elsewhere in a spot of their choosing.
All Guerin has to do is lie a bit, blow a little smoke up his skirt, and get the guy signed. It's not like all the other GM's won't be doing the same, except that they won't be able to burn a year. Maybe Guerin just doesn't like him, but it's not like the system is overflowing with big, talented C's.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mennell (admittingly not doing well with Toronto), Lindberg and now McBain?

Guerin's attitude of my way or the highways seems to be showing up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Mennell (admittingly not doing well with Toronto), Lindberg and now McBain?

Guerin's attitude of my way or the highways seems to be showing up.

We don't know that Guerin's attitude had anything to do with what these players decided to do.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We don't know that Guerin's attitude had anything to do with what these players decided to do.

It's pretty easy to connect the dots. It's not like we couldn't use Mennell at some point - but I guess that 7th rounder could turn out to be a Mennell. (Also I don't trust Toronto to develop defensemen, so I take a lot of what Mennell doing there in light of that).

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's pretty easy to connect the dots. It's not like we couldn't use Mennell at some point - but I guess that 7th rounder could turn out to be a Mennell. (Also I don't trust Toronto to develop defensemen, so I take a lot of what Mennell doing there in light of that).

What if Guerin and the Wild's staff just didn't feel like Mennell wasn't going to be the player many around here (including me) thought he might become. You say that its Toronto's fault for not developing him, but maybe he is just one of those many players who are awesome AHLers but mediocre at best as NHLers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not as easy as you make it out to be, like, at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sota Popinski

P10p

May 15, 2012

So much jumping through mental hoops to drive a narrative in this post, its not good.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What if Guerin and the Wild's staff just didn't feel like Mennell wasn't going to be the player many around here (including me) thought he might become. You say that its Toronto's fault for not developing him, but maybe he is just one of those many players who are awesome AHLers but mediocre at best as NHLers.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, especially given what Menell is (or isn't) doing with Toronto now, but it would still be nice if Menell (or any player hereafter) could get more than just 5 games in the NHL to determine that.

For instance, I think Rossi has struggled to produce in the AHL relative to some of his peers. I know there are extenuating circumstances here, but a player like Mattias Maccelli is, for all intents and purposes, worse than Rossi, yet his production is higher. I think at least part of that reason is because Rossi is the type of player who plays a very cerebral game and plays off of his linemates a lot (as opposed to being able to go coast to coast or deke everybody on the ice, etc, like Kaprizov does). I think he's going to have an easier time producing in the NHL because of that. I'm not saying Rossi and Menell are the same, but you still don't know if maybe that plays a part.

Of course if Guerin and his staff just don't like Menell, there's nothing we can do about it, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating to watch as a fan.

Lindberg just seemed hell bent on not playing here, I'm not sure what the deal was there. Although we only heard the Wild side of things, so I'm taking that one with a grain of salt.

Also don't have any clue what's actually going on with McBain. On one hand it seemed like McBain was going to sign with us no problem, now it seems like Guerin doesn't even want him. Not sure if McBain never wanted to sign, if Guerin changed his mind, or if he still plans on signing McBain barring a trade deadline deal, but just wants the option to trade McBain's rights if the right deal comes along. So still standing by on that one.

In any case, I'm not losing sleep over any of these guys, but at the same time, this is going to be the third somewhat high profile prospect that Guerin has "let go" before we even get to see them, and the 2nd college player we've lost the rights to, in like, 2 years? Can't blame people for wondering what's going on.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So much jumping through mental hoops to drive a narrative in this post, its not good.

Let's see: Russo commented that Guerin and the front office wasn't happy with Menell going to the KHL last season instead of sticking around to see what the AHL could offer. Menell was traded for a conditional 7th round pick (so pretty much just gave Toronto Menell), and signed a pretty cheap contract with Toronto even though there were reports that Guerin didn't want to give him what he wanted (believe the issue was a 1 way vs 2 way contract). I don't believe Menell is any worse than any of the players in the AHL that they have playing right now.

Lindberg is an odd one as well, but could see why he left.

Now McBain? Also Fiala is probably on his way out as well.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Let's see: Russo commented that Guerin and the front office wasn't happy with Menell going to the KHL last season instead of sticking around to see what the AHL could offer. Menell was traded for a conditional 7th round pick (so pretty much just gave Toronto Menell), and signed a pretty cheap contract with Toronto even though there were reports that Guerin didn't want to give him what he wanted (believe the issue was a 1 way vs 2 way contract). I don't believe Menell is any worse than any of the players in the AHL that they have playing right now.

not doing what your boss wants you to do is a pretty good way to find yourself looking for a job.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
not doing what your boss wants you to do is a pretty good way to find yourself looking for a job.

Guess everyone that Fenton fired or those that left were in the wrong then.

Guess Fiala is also in the wrong as well. He should just take what he wants.

BTW didn't I say we should be concerned with McBain walking?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

If Mennell wasn't happy with a 2-way contract in the past, what the hell is the relevance of our AHL defensemen? He clearly wasn't happy with playing in the AHL.

It's about time for the people who were crapping on Guerin for the Mennell situation to eat some crow.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Mennell wasn't happy with a 2-way contract in the past, what the hell is the relevance of our AHL defensemen? He clearly wasn't happy with playing in the AHL.

It's about time for the people who were crapping on Guerin for the Mennell situation to eat some crow.

1 way vs 2 way is a HUGE difference.

So, if McBain does walk - what is Minnesota's center depth prospect wise? Rossi and...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad