Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but something I thought was interesting. Murray said, “Now you’ve got Trevor and him down the middle as possible top-nine (centers).”

Seems like he's implying it's possible McTavish will be a third line center...
He's probably talking about next season...... jk..... or am I? Please don't rush McTavish....

Reactions: lwvs84 and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but something I thought was interesting. Murray said, “Now you’ve got Trevor and him down the middle as possible top-nine (centers).”

I bet that was either him misspeaking or referring to next year/whenever his rookie year is.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

GMBM did mention on the eve of the draft that anyone they get needs to be a top 6 contributor. McTavish isn't going to top out as a 3c.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I was re-watching the "Why I Want" series by Legorocks99 on YouTube for McTavish and he snapshotted his EP page on Jun 4th. Allow me to share the difference in rankings between Jun 4th and July 23rd (draft day).

McTavish
Scouting Media4-Jun23-JulDifferential
Consolidated Ranking148+6
Elite Prospects550
FC Hockey1510+5
Neutral Zone219+12
McKeen's Hockey167+9
NHL Central Scouting (NA)220
Sportsnet's98+1
Recruit Scouting179+8
Dobber Prospects2911+18
Draft Prospects149+5
Smaht Scouting3213+19
The Puck Authority1711+6
TSN/McKenzie114+7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The WJC-18 were played on April 26 - May 6. That means scouts had about a month to compile their works on McTavish, which is more than enough time to update rankings. Only two scouting media didn't change their stance on McTavish: Elite Prospects and Central Scouting.

This could be the reason why so many people don't like the McTavish pick because all the scouting available for a long while had McTavish mostly as a non top-10. With Dobber Prospects and Smaht Scouting giving him far, far low ranking, their prestige means a lot to the scouting community and makes dismissing McTavish easy.

Reactions: HunterDuck

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I think that part of my big reservation with Mctavish is I typically don’t value the WJC nearly as much as others do, and I find it hard to justify picking him at 3 without a bulk of the justification being his WIC performance.

A short tournament, with unfamiliar linemates does not hold the same weight, to me, as season long play.

Reactions: Deuce22

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I think that part of my big reservation with Mctavish is I typically don’t value the WJC nearly as much as others do, and I find it hard to justify picking him at 3 without a bulk of the justification being his WIC performance.

A short tournament, with unfamiliar linemates does not hold the same weight, to me, as season long play.

He was dominant in a mens league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He was dominant in a mens league.
Yeah, albeit Bob said that WJC put him over the top, McTavish had a really great showing in a Swiss 2nd league. He got increasingly better there, as per reports, and his 7p in 4 playoff games.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Clarifying remark, he played in the World U-18, not the WJC. Somewhat surprisingly wasn't even a camp invite at this past WJC, but was just invited to attend Canada's upcoming summer evaluation camp.

It's all about progression.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
he played 13 games in a third year men’s league, that is hardly a season.

He was excellent in the playoffs and after a short time their leading scorer. Olten played in the second tier league and got promoted to the NLA.

What do you mean with third year mens league?

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
He was excellent in the playoffs and after a short time their leading scorer. Olten played in the second tier league and got promoted to the NLA.

What do you mean with third year mens league?

It autocorrected, was supposed to say third-rate.

I trust madden, but I don’t feel great that so much of his success was in a league that is a few notches below the elite European men’s leagues and a short international tournament.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It autocorrected, was supposed to say third-rate.

I trust madden, but I don’t feel great that so much of his success was in a league that is a few notches below the elite European men’s leagues and a short international tournament.

The second league in Switzerland and the playoffs there are likely somewhere between the ECHL and the AHL. The highest leagues in Austria, Czech Republic or Slovakia are not a stronger competition. Metis in Finland dto.

Reactions: Hinterland

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The second league in Switzerland and the playoffs there are likely somewhere between the ECHL and the AHL. The highest leagues in Austria, Czech Republic or Slovakia are not a stronger competition. Metis in Finland dto.

my point is that he was not dominant in his full 19-20 OHL season and I have a hard time getting comfortable with his significant rise coming from a short season in a non-traditional league and a short international tournament.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
my point is that he was not dominant in his full 19-20 OHL season and I have a hard time getting comfortable with his significant rise coming from a short season in a non-traditional league and a short international tournament.
He scored 29 goals in 57 games....

Reactions: Masch78

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

I can understand the argument about his OHL season. But I don't get the harsh judgement against the NLB. This is a traditional mens league. And a solid one.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I can understand the argument about his OHL season. But I don't get the harsh judgement against the NLB. This is a traditional mens league. And a solid one.

I’m not saying the league is trash, only that is not like the SHL or even NL. He did well there, but it’s not like Austin Mathews who tore up NL. I am just not comfortable with the short performance rocketing him for a mid-to- late 1st , to top 3.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I’m not saying the league is trash, only that is not like the SHL or even NL. He did well there, but it’s not like Austin Mathews who tore up NL. I am just not comfortable with the short performance rocketing him for a mid-to- late 1st , to top 3.

Auston was not a 3rd overall pick and there is not a single player of that caliber in this draft, not even close. At least in their current development. And have you looked at Zürich? Their roster was insane. And they produced as good the year after. There was not much Matthews slump.

Reactions: Hinterland

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
on a stacked Pete’s team. Also, You forgot the 13 assists in 57 games… as a center.

There is a reason he was not in top 10 of draft rankings after that season.

Players progress differently. Nick Ebert was considered as a first overall at the age of 16.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
on a stacked Pete’s team. Also, You forgot the 13 assists in 57 games… as a center.

There is a reason he was not in top 10 of draft rankings after that season.

Yeah, I think most of the praise for this pick is blind optimism. Echoes of "I trust Madden" doesn't hold much water without at least peering into the surface.

I haven't seen or read anything to justify this is a good selection at 3rd overall. Murray should've traded down if this was his guy.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I haven't seen or read anything to justify this is a good selection at 3rd overall. Murray should've traded down if this was his guy.

I was on Eklund but he has the same questionmarks. He is as good as the other players in the top 8. The Ducks tried to trade down but you just do it, when you get something for it. This was not the case.

This is not Murrays guy, he was the guy of the staff. Madden is a fan as well.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad